Author Topic: Neighbors! What are you going to do?  (Read 2126 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1110
Re: Neighbors! What are you going to do?
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 02:00:49 AM »
Big Frank, There are far better things than barb wire.
Blackberry hedge, You can't make jelly or wine from Barb wire.  ;D
Roses serve the same purpose with out the food value.
Lets see the dipshit democrats blame that on Trump.

Roses do have food value. Rose hips have so much vitamin C they make citrus fruits look wimpy. My mom and dad used to buy chewable vitamin C tablets made from rose hips that tasted like tart candy. You can make jelly and tea from them too if you want to. Rose hip and hibiscus flower tea is supposed to be good. I guess the flavors are similar. I cut a lot of my flowers off so the other ones will bloom instead of falling off like a lot of them do though. No flowers = no fruit, so there are only a few left when it's done blooming. The bushes in my front yard always have 3 flowers together like front toes on a bird, with stems usually under 2" long. I guess it depends on the weather but sometimes when the one in the middle blooms or is about to, if I leave it there the other 2 will fall off stem and all. But if I cut the middle flower off the other 2 will bloom. Then I cut those off and more roses bloom somewhere else on the bush, day after day until it's done.

I've been telling my neighbors to come over and cut off as many roses as they want, take long pieces of stems too if they want, just don't cut it below knee high. I could just go all summer without cutting any flowers off and harvest the rose hips when they're ready. I might even be able to talk my friend's wife into making jelly if I tell her they can keep 2/3 of it and give me 1/3. If I get some I'll let you know how good  it tastes compared to blackberry jelly. I love wild blackberry jelly on toast with (or without) butter. I quit buttering my bread for sandwiches and most other things decades ago but blackberry jelly on toast is better with than without. Those little berries are just such a PITA to pick.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2020, 02:36:08 AM »
BigFrank... I almost made a big mistake with concertina... I was TDY to Ramsun Station (near Udorn RTAFB) up country in Thailand in early 73... just returning from town and had sampled some adult beverages... Udorn  main base had been attacked by sappers, and the army was shooting flares with the mortars at Ramsun... in my haste to di di mao back to the barracks, I attempted a shortcut...there was some concertina placed where it had not been when I left, and down a small slope that the lights had placed in shadow...good thing I had played baseball for a lot of years, and could slide pretty well... only a slight cut in my Levis...

I'm going to start calling you Lucky Les. I ran into concertina wire once myself. Actually just walked right into it IIRC. Near the top of the roll it snagged the thigh of my fatigues. Just one blade but full depth by the the look of it, and I don't remember getting cut. At least you had a good excuse; Di di mao! Di di mao! I was just blundering around, I can't even remember where. Alcohol may or may not have been involved but since I can't remember that either, I can't even blame it on that. I think it was probably in Germany before we were issued BDUs. If not it was Fort Polk because those were my only 2 permanent changes of station. Drinking when we were in the field was something I almost never did, even when we were out for 45 days at a time, but I sure made up for lost time when we got back.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2020, 07:39:13 PM »
There are a  few other organic barb wire species, they used to use one called Barberry. 
But Black berry wine and jelly seemed like the best add on   ;D

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2020, 10:16:16 PM »
Last night when I looked up pyracantha I found it on this list at Popular Mechanics, These 9 Plants Will Mess You Up. One of the things people call it is firethorn which sounds about right after I read a few different accounts of people's encounters with it. One guy with RA got a couple of scratches and his whole body was in serious pain after that, instead of just his hands or wherever the arthritis was. I read that it spreads bad enough that it's a problem in a couple of states. Birds eat the berries and poop out the seeds and it spreads even farther that way.

When I saw the 6-inch thorns on a honey locust I was shocked. I never saw one before and had no idea they had thorns the size of harpoon tips. Wow. I've only seen pictures of the wood before. The porcupine tomato is pretty interesting too. I don't think I've ever seen anything with thorns on the leaves anywhere except the edges and those were small. It's in the solanum genus so it's related to the regular tomato, potato, eggplant (aubergine to most of the world), tamarillo AKA tree tomato, garden huckleberry, wolf apple (looks just like a tomato), pepino dulce (tastes like a mix of honeydew and cucumber), currant tomato, a whole butt-load of different nightshades, and horse nettles. Like most plants in the solanum genus, the entire porcupine tomato plant is poisonous including the fruit, not like potatoes where there's actually one part that's not poisonous.

I found another really bad one in the tomato/potato family, Solanum atropurpureum, commonly known as malevolence, purple devil, and the five-minute plant. I tried finding out more about that five-minute plant part but came up with five-minute meals, five-minute crafts, and everything except what I wanted to know. My best guess would be that's how long you have to live if you eat the fruits. If it survived the winter and didn't leave a thorny mess to clean up in the spring I would have loved to have it when I had some real azzholes nextdoor. If you click on the other two pictures at Wikipedia you can get a good look at the whole plant and see a bit of flowers.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/environment/g2924/9-plants-deadly/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_atropurpureum

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk