Author Topic: Universal Background Checks  (Read 2369 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
Universal Background Checks
« on: July 27, 2019, 07:35:13 AM »
Does anyone know the behind the scenes of HR8 - Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019?

Officially, it passed the House on February 27th, it had its first reading in the Senate on February 28th, and the second reading was on March 4th.  However, I can't find anything beyond that.

The Senate has its own Bill, S.42 - Background Check Expansion Act, that was referred to Committee on January 8th.

A lot going on, but very quietly.  In fact, those in office and those running for office are throwing tantrums, proposals and promises like nothing is even being talked about - Smoke and Mirrors.

If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
Re: Universal Background Checks
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 08:17:46 AM »
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/116/hr8

Forces a requirement for a background check for every firearm sale.  That means between me and you.  That includes family members.

Sponsored by Mike Thomson (Dimocrat) of Kalifornia 5th Congressional District.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 08:54:48 AM »
Yup, I've read both Bills, but I can't find what is happening now.  Are we lucky enough to have someone in control that is just sitting on them and not letting them move on in the Senate?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 08:56:17 AM »
I have also read a lot of comments in different places, confident or over confident, that if they were to pass, Pres. DJT would veto.  Not sure at this point.  Would rather the larger groups would grow a pair and stop them that way.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 09:15:06 AM »
It seems to say they will apply to firearms sales, but does that mean transfers?

Firearms given as gifts are not required to be processed?
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:10:36 PM »

Timothy

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 10:32:05 AM »
I cannot cite the source but I recall a stipulation clause that could required a "transfer" even if you allowed a friend to use your firearm in a competition or similar event.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 10:43:13 AM »
It seems to say they will apply to firearms sales, but does that mean transfers?

Firearms given as gifts are not required to be processed?

My reading is that anytime you hand a firearm to another person, with the exception of you being in control.  Allowing someone to handle, or shoot your firearm with you present would be exempt. 

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 01:43:21 PM »
Gang Armorer:  Capo, we got a big problem.  With the new regs I cannot hand out guns to the guys without doing a background check and filling out all the paperwork.  It will take so long to do all the checks and paperwork I'll  never be able to keep up with the demand for replacement guns.

Capo:  Hmm...what if you leave the armory open from say, 9am to 3pm and just take a long break and I tell the guys to go in and grap the guns they need?

Gang Armorer:  BRILLIANT!!.   No wonder you the boss!

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 06:55:44 AM »
It is definitely bad news.  We gotta get the word out, write and call and beat this back.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2019, 10:43:40 PM »
That will stop no one from getting a gun.

I have little doubt that with in a few day I can buy  pretty much anything.  I mean pretty anything from a m2 on down.  If I want a common gun, hours. Hell, I have a haus  v2 that could pump  out lowers all day if I wanted.  I would just need to down load the files, .make some soft jaws and order the stock.  I know j would need to buy some endmills  and drills, but I have little doubt I could pump out dozens in a day.   Not something I would ever do as I would need a ffl  03 and everything to go with, but it would not be hard.  Give me another 40k for a decent cnc lathe and I could do everything but the barrels.  Gun control is impossible.with just a few thousand in machine tools and a little bit of know how you can easily  produce an effective weapon.

Just look what P. A. Luty did in the UK.  He produces sub machine guns in his shed from raw stock  and hadware
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk