Author Topic: "The gun rental loophole"  (Read 1155 times)

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"The gun rental loophole"
« on: May 18, 2010, 10:36:21 AM »
Thank God for these watchdogs..... Cause going after this is gonna stop crime ::)

Juan Cardona-Marquez can't legally buy a gun. He can't shoot one. He can't even touch one without committing a crime.

So how was it that the 22-year-old Milwaukee man - who threatened his girlfriend and was later charged with armed robbery and a string of burglaries - was able to rent a .45-caliber Glock handgun from Badger Guns and practice his aim on the store's shooting range?

The answer lies in a little-known quirk of federal gun laws.

Gun stores must check the criminal background of anyone buying a gun. But no check is required if someone rents a gun to use on the store's shooting range. In fact, a background check is not even allowed for rentals.

Prosecutors say a felon or other person legally barred from having a gun is breaking the law by handling one and could be charged. But they need proof.

"They can go and play with a gun, handle it, fire it, even take pictures with it to intimidate other people and nobody is going to know about it," said Joseph J. Vince Jr., a retired supervisor from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

"If they have the gun in the store or out of the store, it is a danger to the public."

Gun stores don't have to check a renter's ID, fill out paperwork or even write down a name.

More here:
http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/watchdogreports/93866189.html
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

tt11758

• Noolis bastardis carborundum (Don't let the bastards wear you down)
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger ~
    • 10-Ring Firearms Training
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: "The gun rental loophole"
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 10:43:42 AM »
Explain to me how renting a gun INSIDE THE STORE is a danger to the public, please?

On the other hand, there's an easy way to solve this problem.  Keep the bastards locked up until they've served their entire sentence!!  No time off for "good behavior", no parole, no early release.  If you give them 25 years, let them SERVE 25 years.  If they kill somebody, execute them.  With the scientific identification tools that are available today, there is little trouble proving someone's guilt.  DNA is like the hand of God proclaiming a person guilty.  Some say that execution is "cruel and unusual".  But they don't take into consideration how cruel and unusual the perpetrator was toward his victim.

Ok, rant off.
I love waking up every morning knowing that Donald Trump is President!!

tfr270

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "The gun rental loophole"
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 10:58:29 AM »
Huh? My indoor range won't rent unless you come in with someone, have your own gun if you're by yourself, sign a liability release and waiver, and leave your driver's license at the rental counter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk