Author Topic: Flags and Monuments  (Read 1358 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 877
Flags and Monuments
« on: October 13, 2018, 09:16:28 AM »
In this era of cleansing history and destroying symbols, I found this interesting:

The Rifleman,
season 3 episode 25 'The Prisoner'

I was watching an episode of The Rifleman with Chuck Connors, where two ex confederates had surrendered to the rifleman during the war and then spent two years in prison. Now they decide it's his fault so they are going to lock him up for two years as payback.
At the end the rifleman kills the two and he and his son find what looks like a 2nd National Flag in the dead guys saddlebags.

The rifleman tells his son-

"This flag.......this flag stands for the bravery of all the men who fought and died under it, and the men who fought against it, only to prove in the end that victor and loser are one and the same, free men in a free country."

This quote explains why we need monuments, and why we need to remember history - Even history written by the winner the way they present it.  We can add to the story, but to cleanse the past removes the context of the story and devalues the learning value.

If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
Re: Flags and Monuments
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 06:37:54 PM »
Speaking of flags, I saw this one for sale online. They had Hillary Clinton toilet paper too. History is written by the winners, and the winners can s**t on the losers.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk