Author Topic: Home Defense with Taurus Judge  (Read 30190 times)

1776 Rebel

Home Defense with Taurus Judge
« on: April 19, 2008, 02:34:06 PM »
I was discussing the Taurus Judge with a friend. My thoughts  follow:

I have handled a number of the Taurus firearms. I also don't think they are at the top of quality. Not bad but not great either. If you surf the web a bit you will find quite a number of complaints on quality, returns etc.  That ain't good for a defensive firearm that is supposed to work EVERY TIME THE TRIGGER IS PULLED. If you are just target shooting hey they are just fine.

As for carrying around a 410 for defense. HOLD ON HOSS....Pretty much everyone acknowledges that a full bore pistol is marginal for defense. So why would you want to defend your life with shotgun pellets. EVEN BUCKSHOT. Take a look at the following from: http://www.4-10.freeuk.com/mwdefence.html
BUCK SHOT: Winchester makes a .410 buckshot load in a 2 ½ inch shell containing three "triple-ought" or 000 buck shot. The 000 buck is .360 in diameter, weighs 71 grains, and the first pellet out of the two shells which I chronographed out of a Remington Model 870 with 25 inch barrel crossed the chronograph screens at slightly above 1250 fps with a muzzle energy of nearly 250 ft. lbs. The other pellets were no doubt going nearly as fast. That gives three pellets each with as much energy as a standard .38 special police load, and a total energy of 750 ft. lbs. That would have to be quite effective. (I DISAGREE STRONGLY)

SLUGS: First, let us look at the common .410 bore slug. The traditional .410 foster-style slug has a 1/5 ounce or 87.5 grain slug at a muzzle velocity (MV) of 1815 feet per second (fps) and developing a muzzle energy (ME) of 640 foot pounds (ft. lbs.). More recent offerings increase the weight of the slug to 1/4 ounce at a slightly reduced MV of 1755 fps for an ME of nearly 750 ft. lbs.

Now this is out of a 25 INCH BARREL. You have got to expect A LOT LESS ENERGY out of the Judge per pellet. I don't go for this aggregate analysis. "I get ten little school girls to throw you a beating vs Mike Tyson" which one DON'T YOU WANT? I suspect you want to stay away from Tyson. So if it boils down to defending my wife and children with a 71 grain round or even the 87 grain SLUG, FORGET IT. I am coming out loaded for bear...and it ain't gonna be with a Judge. The pellets by the way are ROUND BALLS OF LEAD. Gee, how do you think they will behave when they hit a target. If I am right, the military gave up LEAD ROUND BALLS ...er...a hundred and fifty years ago !

Here is my plan. I am starting out with a rifle, then going to a shotgun, then to a large caliber heavy weight round in a pistol. I want the round from whatever I am shooting to be bone crushing and have massive damage. Poorly aimed shots (which in the heart pounding critical situation and dark of night WILL HAPPEN) that will tear off limbs, shatter bones, rip blood vessels apart, send massive amounts of tissue and blood out the wound channel, and create hydraulic shock that reaches every point of the assailants body. I want it entering the body, doing its damage and yes EXITING. I want two points on each hit draining blood. It is no different than hunting. More loss of blood means the target falls down dead sooner. I want the coroner coming in with a hose to wash this guy off the sidewalk or out of my house. I want his final resting place to either be the sewer or some medical waster disposal container.

gunman1911

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger Emeritus
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Home Defense with Taurus Judge
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 06:49:19 PM »
I have seen people shot with the .410 slug and it did the job.
Back up guns---Better to have and not need than to need and not have!

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 12:35:40 AM »
I have seen people shot with the .410 slug and it did the job.

May be true, but why bother with the slug if you can use .45 LC. The Judge MAY be a fun gun to shoot, but in my opinion any one who thinks of it as a defense gun is nuts.

Lucas

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 12:41:49 AM »
I like the versitility of the gun,  however it would not be my first choice.  I'm sure it will fit somebody's niche.  It would definatly fill the role of a "car gun" as previously covered,  and for someone who doesnt shoot alot it might be a good weapon. 
By the ring of our swords, and the flash of our cannons, they will know that We Are Free

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 01:37:42 AM »
IMO, where the judge shines is as an anti car jacking weapon.  Other then that, I don't see much practical use for it.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:51:00 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 09:18:34 AM »
I can think of one place it would be GREAT, Take it to your local skeet range, if you can do well there, you are probably a pretty good pistol shot, At least it sounds like fun  ;D

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 12:27:33 PM »
I can think of one place it would be GREAT, Take it to your local skeet range, if you can do well there, you are probably a pretty good pistol shot, At least it sounds like fun  ;D

If you can break even 1 bird in a round of skeet with one that would be impressive.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 12:40:38 PM »
If you can break even 1 bird in a round of skeet with one that would be impressive.

I was thinking more along the lines of  Sporting Clays, I've heard that there are people who shoot them with T/C Contenders in .45/410, Of course the 3 inch barrel probably isn't enough, but it's something to think about.

Dougdubya

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 12:59:11 AM »
There's enough room in the cylinder for a .460, isn't there?

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 877
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 08:08:37 AM »
There's enough room in the cylinder for a .460, isn't there?

Fit???  Yes  :-\

Taurus says it's ok?  Not listed as approved ammo  ::)

Rule #1 - Don't use unapproved ammo  >:(

Possible reason - Chamber pressures for .460 are much higher than .45 LC or .410  >:(

Possible result - Gun failure (translation - bits and pieces flying all over ... including into your body)  :-[

I would say stay away from .460 unless Taurus says it is ok.  I saw a Snake Charmer .410 revolver fly apart.  It is loud, and the shrapnel flying past your ears is an icky sound!  I heard reports of a 500 Magnum that failed also (several guys at the same demo when it happened) and it sounded like the exact same experience.  Don't tempt a gun to explode in your hand ... Your head is too close to the BANG!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk