Author Topic: Invited To A Special Birthday This Sunday, and My Gift To a Hero  (Read 1335 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Invited To A Special Birthday This Sunday, and My Gift To a Hero
« on: September 03, 2010, 08:33:09 PM »
A co-worker, (the one I took to the NRA Convention in May), his Father..., is celebrating his 85th Birthday Sunday. He is a WWII Army Veteran, a Rifleman, and a Decorated Marksman, Purple Heart Recipient, and an amazing gentleman.

His health has been on the decline as of late, but his spirit, and his family, are truly amazing.  I was asked by his family, to participate for his birthday, and let him get,.... hopefully not, ....one more range trip.

Robert S. Sr. had mentioned his affection/love for a 1911 pistol. My friend doesn't have one, but he knows I do, so I am going to a lunch/family reunion/range trip, Sunday with my S&W full size 1911.

His son Keith doesn't know if he'll be able to even get off one round himself, but to be at the local outdoor range, watching, and being part of the action, would make his day.

I have a special place in my heart of the "ol' folks", they were/are the greatest generation. My Grandfather, taught me very early on, about the craftsmanship and importance of a well made firearm, and the Right As An American, that other Americans fought & died for, on OUR behalf, meant to carry on.

I'll take lots of pics, whether we shoot or not, just to let Robert Sr. hold a 1911 again, is all that seems to matter right now to him.

So be it. He can hold mine as long as he wants. He's earned it, and my eternal respect.

Something about the lines, shape and beauty of a 1911, I totally understand.

Happy Labor Day DRTV.

Stay Safe, & God Bless.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Invited To A Special Birthday This Sunday, and My Gift To a Hero
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 08:42:31 PM »
Have a great trip and thank him for me, and Happy Birthday too, wish I could send some ammo.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 08:48:07 PM »
Good for you TW! My old man has gotten me (despite my protestations) involved in the SAR. Basically, at 70, he needs a strong back to help guys like your friend out. My advice? Bring (borrow or rent  it if you have to) a .22 LR pistol. He might not be up to the .45, but being able to put a few rounds downrange would probably feel good.
FQ13 who thinks you are doing a very good thing. We owe them.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 07:47:48 AM »
See if you can find a .22 conversion for the .45.  Looks the same and he should be able to shoot it OK.

Way to go,

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 07:54:40 AM »
Good man!  (Both the WWII vet and you, TW)
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Sponsor

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 08:23:02 AM »
Hope to see a 'Range Report' and photos on this one  :D :D

Sure to be allergic reactions to them.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 02:18:19 PM »
OUTSTANDING, way to honor one of the greatest generation.  ;D
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

SureShot

• Forum Member
  • Proud NRA & TSRA Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 03:05:41 PM »
Happy Birthday Robert S! And thanks for your service to this country.

My hats off to you TW. GOD bless you for your deeds and caring.   
“You’re a good man Gunga Din”

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 06:10:49 PM »

Something about the lines, shape and beauty of a 1911, I totally understand.

"Your hand closes firmly around the slim grip-frame of the pistol, and as you slide the weapon smoothly from the holster, your thumb closes naturally down until you feel the snick of the safety snapping into the "fire" position. The pistol seems to point itself at the target, and your finger finds the trigger at just the right spot, pressing rearward.

You feel the clean, crisp release through your trigger finger, and the familiar, soft bump of the recoil through the palm of your hand. Downrange, a reaction target is slammed over by the heavy bullet you have launched, and the pistol has already cycled itself,its sights coming almost automatically back on target as you let the trigger come forward a tiny bit until you feel the click of its reset, your cue to begin a second pull.

You're firing a 1911, a Government Model, the classic ".45 automatic.""
- Massad Ayoob
Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 07:19:57 PM »
Thank you DonW. Massad got that description spot on.

A .45 is a .45,.... However, as good as they are, the G21, XD45, M+P 45, and others, are not a 1911.  Looking forward to next years anniversary editions.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk