Author Topic: Pharmacist Who Shot Robbers, and Shot Them (again) Gets Life.  (Read 3412 times)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Pharmacist Who Shot Robbers, and Shot Them (again) Gets Life.
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 08:53:01 AM »
Morality aside , if you are going to do that don't do it in front of your own camera.   ::)

yeah...wondered how he could have forgotten it was there.

He should have gotten the fresh gun, checked outside for the runner, come back in, grabbed his chest with his off hand and fired off six rounds in a spasm as he collapsed to the floor.....

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 06:44:27 PM »
To quote Bernie Goetz "You don't look so bad, have another". One of the secrets to success in life is knowing when to quit while you are ahead. :P
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 10:05:30 PM »
Chicago mob boss Sam Giancana once showed a young wiseguy a Marlin he had mounted on his wall, He said to the kid, "You know, If that fish kept his mouth shut he never would have got caught"

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 10:50:43 PM »
I swore I wasn't going to chime in here in more than in a light hearted raised eyebrow kind of way. Folks say I get a bit righteous sometimes and they're right. I'm trying to fight that, so bear with me. But the more I think about it, the more this guy bugs me as he makes us all look bad. When I got called to jury duty I joked "I hope its an SD shooting, it'll be the easiest defense case ever". Well, not here. Emptying your gun even after he's down, that's a case of nerves. Even if its obviously a case of you being pissed at a guy robbing YOUR store, as a juror, I'm going to say tie goes to the runner, or to wax literary, "if he'd but stayed home today none of this would have come to pass". (PS a cookie to the Civil War buff who can ID that quote). As it is, emptying the gun, leaving, getting another gun, shooting the still prostrate guy who was probably dieing anyway? That makes me look bad. I felt sorry for the guy at first. Now, I 'm just annoyed with him. Am I alone here?
FQ13

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 11:09:19 PM »
No.
That makes me look bad. I felt sorry for the guy at first. Now, I 'm just annoyed with him. Am I alone here?
FQ13

No.
In SD you shoot to save yourself, not execute.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Sponsor

Ksail101

• Airborne all the way!!!
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2011, 02:54:48 AM »
Morality aside , if you are going to do that don't do it in front of your own camera.   ::)
\

Or lose the tape, come on.

FQ13- Wasnt that Longstreet that said that.
Did we win???

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2011, 07:33:58 AM »
I swore I wasn't going to chime in here in more than in a light hearted raised eyebrow kind of way. Folks say I get a bit righteous sometimes and they're right. I'm trying to fight that, so bear with me. But the more I think about it, the more this guy bugs me as he makes us all look bad. When I got called to jury duty I joked "I hope its an SD shooting, it'll be the easiest defense case ever". Well, not here. Emptying your gun even after he's down, that's a case of nerves. Even if its obviously a case of you being pissed at a guy robbing YOUR store, as a juror, I'm going to say tie goes to the runner, or to wax literary, "if he'd but stayed home today none of this would have come to pass". (PS a cookie to the Civil War buff who can ID that quote). As it is, emptying the gun, leaving, getting another gun, shooting the still prostrate guy who was probably dieing anyway? That makes me look bad. I felt sorry for the guy at first. Now, I 'm just annoyed with him. Am I alone here?
FQ13

You are not alone at all.  His act was premeditated murder with slight mitigation due to the "heat" of the moment...past moment...

But, remember that jerk driving the Mini and confronted you?  You weren't carrying at the time, but say you were and you had shot  him to defend yourself and your mother.  And say, he got lucky and you hit him high and left in his right shoulder.  Put him down but he would live.  And also say that as he lays there waiting for the ambulance, he looks at you with eyes filled with hate and says "I can get a gun too.  I'll be back."

Not that it went down exactly like that in this shooting, but in some neighborhoods, the intent to retaliate is the default action, expected and "righteous".  

In your hypothetical case, would the thoughts of "finishing the job" right now enter your mind?  

He knows where to find you.  He knows where to find your mother.  He gets to pick the time with more care next time.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 582
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2011, 10:12:58 AM »
You are not alone at all.  His act was premeditated murder with slight mitigation due to the "heat" of the moment...past moment...
He knows where to find you.  He knows where to find your mother.  He gets to pick the time with more care next time.

I would not call it premeditated.  Intentional perhaps; but planned and plotted for premeditation I don't think with the physiological things going on it can be called premeditation...whether the law in a particular state says it is or not.  You'd have to live and be prosecuted by that law, but it may not mirror true life from fact of instance.  

If a person didn't grow up in or live around a world where retaliation is a certainty with some, then finishing the job may ring hollow and really bend a kink in one's view of morality.  But if you know players and know people who have disappeared then things get muddy....a jury of your peers takes on a very real meaning that is not mainstream to a lot of people.  Might not be reasonable "in our world" but it may make total sense in "another world".

You'd have to weigh the consequences of possible prosecution vs. some level of certainty you'd get whacked while you weren't looking in the future.  What would be really hard to divine is when those "worlds" overlap.  
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 10:19:42 AM »
I would not call it premeditated.  Intentional perhaps; but planned and plotted for premeditation I don't think with the physiological things going on it can be called premeditation...whether the law in a particular state says it is or not.  You'd have to live and be prosecuted by that law, but it may not mirror true life from fact of instance.  

If a person didn't grow up in or live around a world where retaliation is a certainty with some, then finishing the job may ring hollow and really bend a kink in one's view of morality.  But if you know players and know people who have disappeared then things get muddy....a jury of your peers takes on a very real meaning that is not mainstream to a lot of people.  Might not be reasonable "in our world" but it may make total sense in "another world".

You'd have to weigh the consequences of possible prosecution vs. some level of certainty you'd get whacked while you weren't looking in the future.  What would be really hard to divine is when those "worlds" overlap.  

+1
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 12:23:39 PM »
Premeditated might be a slippery concept.

If someone angers in an establishment and you go out to the parking lot, get your gun and come in and shoot them dead, there could be a case for premeditation.

The pharmacist did much the same thing.  Didn't have to walk as far but he did go get a gun just to kill the guy.

Part of my "pre thinking" about self defense scenarios is about that part of the aftermath and how I will deal with my "inclination" to want to finish the job.  I just don't like the need to give the bad guy a second chance to take me out.

Don't take this to mean I would do more than stop the immediate threat, but I would be aware of that part of the aftermath if the bad guy walks away.

—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk