Author Topic: My Dragonfruit Plant Is Blooming. Woe To You O' Earth & Sea....  (Read 5903 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I have been dealing with a Dragonfruit aka Pittaya (pi-tye-ya) that I planted when I moved back down here in 2008. It has done nothing, even wilted, turned yellow, returned green and vibrant,   sprouted new growth, but no elusive flower, or fruit.  :-\

Than, amongst all the torrential afternoon storms, blazing sun, storms, lather, rinse, repeat....

9 sprouts of soon to be flowering buds!!!!.... BUT,  they only bloom at night...right out of a Lord Of The Rings, Tolken novel,...kinda a cactus looking prehistoric plant. Only blooms for one night,...

The next one.

This plant is about 7-9 feet in diameter with weird extensions that route off in different directions. If I get fruit, it is supposed to have mystical mojo, with foreboding fates to those that eat it....And it's supposed to be delicious.... ;D

Either way,...it's odd, different, and I had to share....

Thanks....

Homemade DragonFruit Wine?,.....Hmmmmmm....... ;)

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

mkm

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: My Dragonfruit Plant Is Blooming. Woe To You O' Earth & Sea....
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 08:41:52 PM »
If nothing else, that's a pretty cool looking plant you have there.  Hope it produces for you.

I ate some dragonfruit in Beijing this summer.  It's pretty good stuff.  I must not have ate enough to get any powers though.

Good luck with it.

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 08:47:54 PM »
One of the local Dr's raises "Corpse flowers" he has one that is supposed to be the largest known example.
It has flowered twice since I moved here in '06.

red364

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 08:52:15 PM »
Looks pretty cool!!

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 09:02:18 PM »

If that ugly-azz plant starts telling you to "Feed me Seymour" - run like a scalded cat the other direction!!!!!

Cool flower though.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Sponsor

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 09:05:29 PM »
Very cool, Seymore!  That was the first thing that came to mind.   

My only claim to fame is our family has had Gardenia bushes at every house we've every owned.  And keeping them alive in N. Ga is no mean feat.   Not their native habitat.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 09:27:17 PM »

Sad but true,.... :P

I was expecting something along Little Shop Of Horrors,....but Steve Martin would have been cool.

8)
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 10:25:44 PM »
That's one weird looking plant but it's nice to see the flowers.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 10:53:40 PM »
Nice weird looking plant and flower.  This is the second night blooming flowering plant I heard about today.  The other is the moon flower.  The one I saw was a huge plant that grows from seed.  I found this on the net about it.

http://www.moonlightsys.com/themoon/flower.html
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 05:32:57 AM »
Dragonfruit Plant....Prehistoric cactus...only blooms at night and for only one night....mystic mojo and foreboding fates...

As always, it's the few Bad Apples who give all us Firearms Enthusiasts a bad name...... ;D

But that wine sounds interesting...set up a tasting.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk