Author Topic: Tennessee Declares "Civil War" Against NY Drivers Passing Through TN.  (Read 2468 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Wait,.....I hear banjo's.... ::)

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/states-fights-tn-vows-payback-on-new-yorkers-after-911-memorial-gun-arrest/

States Fight? TN Vows Payback on New Yorkers After 9/11 Memorial Gun Arrest

Posted on January 20, 2012 at 4:18pm by Buck Sexton
Tennesseans have circled the wagons to protect one of their own arrested in the Big Apple for gun possession, and now New York motorists may want to keep a closer eye on their speedometers.Tennessee Vows Payback on New Yorkers After 9/11 Memorial Gun Arrest of Meredith Graves

In response to the arrest of 39-year old Meredith Graves for unlawful gun possession while visiting the newly opened 9/11 memorial, the Tennessee state legislature has taken action.

According to the New York Post, Tennessee’s state legislature has “declared civil war on New Yorkers“— at least when it comes to speeders in their state. State officials claim they may retaliate for the prosecution of a woman who was carrying an illegal pistol at the 9/11 Memorial.

A Knoxville-based legislator, who is also apparently a farmer by trade, is so upset over the Tennessee tourist’s gun arrest last month that he drew up legislation addressing it.

In response to the arrest of Meredith Graves, the Post says “his resolution condemns it as a grave miscarriage of justice— and reminds New Yorkers to “drive carefully” if we come visit.”

The Tennessee House resolution reads in part: “We remind the citizens of New York, especially those residing in New York City, to drive carefully through the great state of Tennessee, paying extra attention to our speed limits.” The resolution– which does not have the force of law even within the state of Tennessee, also requests the release of Meredith Graves, an outcome it claims common sense and sound judgment demand.

A registered nurse and fourth-year medical student, Graves face 3 1/2 years if convicted even though she was licensed to carry a concealed weapon in her home state of Tennessee. Before her arrest, Graves willingly surrendered her weapon to authorities thinking she was in compliance with the law.

Many who believe in a strong 2nd amendment have been outraged by her arrest, and there are no signs yet that New York City authorities are considering dropping the charges.

The resolution appears largely an attempt to bring attention to the case facing Graves.

But when asked about any impact it would have back in Tennessee, the Tennessee measure’s sponsor, Rep. Frank Niceley, (R-Knoxville) told the Post: ”Well, I don’t know that the Highway Patrol would be any kinder or any harsher. But it’s something to think about.”

Resolution 585 should come up for a vote in Tennessee’s House of Representatives next week. If it passes, it will head to the Senate and then the governor’s desk.

Meanwhile, Graves is due back in court March 19th.

;D
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Dakotaranger

• Happiness is a 1911 in your hand
  • Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
Re: Tennessee Declares "Civil War" Against NY Drivers Passing Through TN.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 08:26:14 PM »
 ;D  AWESOME!!! Now hopefully a mayor in TN will extend an inventation to bloomberg 'for a speaking engagement'
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

santahog

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 02:10:33 AM »
Maybe we can send Lamar Alexander in to negotiate a prisoner exchange..
With friends like these, who needs hallucinations!..

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 10:33:45 AM »
Watching your speed in TN if you are a NY driver won't eliminate the hassle.  

Cop can pull you over for many non-illegal reasons.....break lights looked to have intermittent operation, wheel looked wobbly, and I bet a handful of other things to aad half an hour to your vacation travels at each one.

Kids will have to wee three times crossing the state the short way.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 12:41:51 PM »
I was talking about this with a friend and they said it wasn't "fair" for Tennessee to 'take it out' on NY residents that "had nothing to do with it.".
I cried BS and asked "Why not put it on them?".....It is the NY citizens that vote in the schmucks that make these ridiculous laws and then foist them upon the very people that voted them in, as well as visitors. I used one of Tom Bogan's favorites about getting what they deserved based on their voting.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

rojawe

• Top Forum Member
  • To the Republic for which it stands One Nation
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 05:22:26 PM »
Works for me and I hope some NY officals are the first to try it out and see if Tenn is serious and Hello Blooming idiot mayor should be the first
EMPLOYERS STOP THE FLOOD E-VERIFY WORKS

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 10:23:33 AM »
I was talking about this with a friend and they said it wasn't "fair" for Tennessee to 'take it out' on NY residents that "had nothing to do with it.".
I cried BS and asked "Why not put it on them?".....It is the NY citizens that vote in the schmucks that make these ridiculous laws and then foist them upon the very people that voted them in, as well as visitors. I used one of Tom Bogan's favorites about getting what they deserved based on their voting.

What was their response?
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 11:09:45 AM »
What was their response?

The usual response I tend to get from my limited supply of liberal friends.....try to change the subject and when I won't let it go, suddenly have something come up so they can get away from me......  ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk