Author Topic: Something Is Finally NOT Bush's Fault! GM Halts Volt Production, 1300 Laid Off  (Read 3619 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
Like I said, I have driven a Volt.  I estimate I have just over 100 miles in one. 

It isn't a designed car, it is a converted existing model.  The body was not altered in anyway, except it has less ground clearance due to the batteries and their weight - gotta watch some of the driveway approaches.

Considering the actual purchase price that a consumer pays for the vehicle it is viable if you live in an area where it matches your commute.  Our problem out here in fly over land is that we have commutes that are too long, and you rely on the gasoline engine for too many miles a day.  The down side to making it cost effective is that it relies on tax credits - money from everyone else, to subsidize the cost.

I have driven it in weather near zero, and it was only for 20 miles, so I didn't notice the lack of a high output heater.  I don't think that would be an issue in daily commutes if you lived in a metro area.  At the dealership the jury is still out on how sub-zero temps would affect drivability, but I will tell you that 0-60 is snappy, passing is snappy, and 0-100 is less than 3/4 mile.  This car flies!

We did some math in the office, and payback off the final price is not really too bad.  If the batteries last as projected it is no more expensive to use than the Cruize (its body and running gear donor).

I wish that they would have spent a couple hundred of the high price and incorporated solar panels in the flat surfaces.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Timothy

I bought a new Focus last year for a bit under 15K and it's averaging 36 MPG for the moment.  Assuming I'm going to put 10K on a year, my total cost for the car over four years will about 20K at worst.  Why would I even consider the Volt for other than the "feel good theory"?

I've been driving fuel efficient cars for nearly my entire life as a matter of practicality!  I also have never driven less than thirty miles each way to work in the last 15 years.

I don't need what the .gov or GM is selling!

tombogan03884

There was a study by a German University with in the last 6 months, (there's a post about here somewhere)
stating that people who buy cars like the Volt or Prius are more likely to lie, cheat, and steal than people who don't let "global warming" BS influence their decision.
The study claimed that these people felt superior because of their "green" purchase, therefore they did not need to live up to the other ethical standards of an uncaring society.

Timothy

There was a study by a German University with in the last 6 months, (there's a post about here somewhere)
stating that people who buy cars like the Volt or Prius are more likely to lie, cheat, and steal than people who don't let "global warming" BS influence their decision.
The study claimed that these people felt superior because of their "green" purchase, therefore they did not need to live up to the other ethical standards of an uncaring society.

So, that explains the asshat that tried to sue Toyota over his Prius speeding out of control when his "black box" proved it was because he deliberately pressed the accelerator to the floor!

"Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive!"

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
There is also the unknown length of life of the Volt battery.   A standard car battery is good for 2 years or so...but I don't know how closely the Volt battery will come to that....might be less with the demands upon it.

One estimated replacement cost is $8000.  Add one of those to every 4 years of vehicle life and that is gonna hurt your break even time.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

Timothy

There is also the unknown length of life of the Volt battery.   A standard car battery is good for 2 years or so...but I don't know how closely the Volt battery will come to that....might be less with the demands upon it.

??? ??? ???

I've just replaced the battery in my Ranger after nine years.  My last two cars went eight years on the original battery as well.  In fact, I traded them in with the OEM Motorcraft batteries in them and I've lived in the cold northeast for going on thirty years.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
??? ??? ???

I've just replaced the battery in my Ranger after nine years.  My last two cars went eight years on the original battery as well.  In fact, I traded them in with the OEM Motorcraft batteries in them and I've lived in the cold northeast for going on thirty years.

Wow....you must have saved the life of the Battery Spirit at some time to have karma that good....  A lot of good TLC for them?

I don't know if cold weather is particularly hard on batteries except that they have a harder job cranking a cold engine.  Higher temps are a killer of batteries....
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Timothy

Wow....you must have saved the life of the Battery Spirit at some time to have karma that good....  A lot of good TLC for them?

I don't know if cold weather is particularly hard on batteries except that they have a harder job cranking a cold engine.  Higher temps are a killer of batteries....

To be completely honest, I haven't popped open a battery since High School!  There isn't any need to anymore!

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
To be completely honest, I haven't popped open a battery since High School!  There isn't any need to anymore!

Still driving a 2000 Z28 and have put two batteries in it after OEM.  That big 350 would never be considered cool running and I sure did as much as possible to keep the temps up.   Since I've gotten to old to be driving much beyond the legal limit and don't drive enough to worry much about the price of gas, I'm guessing battery life is suffering even more just from not keeping a charge up.
—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

Timothy

Still driving a 2000 Z28 and have put two batteries in it after OEM.  That big 350 would never be considered cool running and I sure did as much as possible to keep the temps up.   Since I've gotten to old to be driving much beyond the legal limit and don't drive enough to worry much about the price of gas, I'm guessing battery life is suffering even more just from not keeping a charge up.

Well, there's your problem!  Stop buying Chevys!   ;D

My one and only Camaro lasted three years and I put three batteries in that POS!   ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk