Author Topic: Something Is Finally NOT Bush's Fault! GM Halts Volt Production, 1300 Laid Off  (Read 3620 times)

tombogan03884

I once had a car that had a bolt head sticking up through the battery box, I had to replace the battery when it wore through the bottom.
I put a rubber mat in the bottom of the battery box to shield it and have never had to replace a battery for any other reason.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1110
The battery in my Chevy truck lasted 11 years but I don't drive much. I would expect the battery in the Volt to last half as long. Maybe it would have to be replaced once and the car would be traded before it was due for a second battery. They still cost too much.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
Battery life for decades, 60's into 90's, was considered three years.  That is how the life time warranty was started by Sears with the Die Hard - Average owner keeps a car for three years, person buys a three year old used car, they drive it for six months and replace the battery, two and a half years later they trade it off, a year later the batter goes bad, and the life time warranty is not transferable.  Sears replaced very few batteries for warranty, and others learned how to market the idea.

Current technology is considered five years, and I don't know what gell cells are

I don't know, and the dealer does not know what the life of the Volt's batteries are.  I know that with the Prius most owners expect to trade between three and five years.  I also know some that have had the typical early failure at a year or so.  I have not heard any firm costs, because everyone I heard of that had them replaced had it done under warranty.

When we figured cost of owning and using the Volt we figured owning for five years at 20,000 miles a year.  The miles is based on max range between recharge without relying on gasoline engine.  This would be your main local vehicle for commutes, errands, and close to home recreation.  You would only use your other vehicle for long trips and heavy hauling.  He figured a very low trade in value, and it wasn't too bad.  The catch is that there is any market for a used electric vehicle with 100k, and that you don't need to pay for batteries.  I don't recall what the warranty on the batteries is.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk