Author Topic: Gray Wolf OFF the Endangered Species List... Thoughts?  (Read 6023 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gray Wolf OFF the Endangered Species List... Thoughts?
« on: May 03, 2009, 08:45:13 PM »
Just curious for the members in the Northern Plains, and Rockies that know more than I about this animal.

For myself, I remember the Florida Gator Ban, strict rules for hunting, tags etc,...

I kinda like the Gray Wolf, big, bad, and been part of the food chain for a long time. What effect does this have on those with cattle, other livestock, for you?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hufOmhn7Y6MQrv14iKIDnSfDaY5AD97UUEKG3

Wolves no longer protected in Northern Rockies

By MATTHEW BROWN – 6 hours ago

BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) — Wolves in parts of the Northern Rockies and the Great Lakes region come off the endangered species list on Monday, opening them to public hunts in some states for the first time in decades.

Federal officials say the population of gray wolves in those areas has recovered and is large enough to survive on its own. The animals were listed as endangered in 1974, after they had been wiped out across the lower 48 states by hunting and government-sponsored poisoning.

"We've exceeded our recovery goals for nine consecutive years, and we fully expect those trends will continue," said Seth Willey, regional recovery coordinator for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in Denver.

With the delisting, state wildlife agencies will have full control over the animals. States such as Idaho and Montana plan to resume hunting the animals this fall, but no hunting has been proposed in the Great Lakes region.

Ranchers and livestock groups, particularly in the Rockies, have pushed to strip the endangered status in hopes that hunting will keep the population in check.

About 300 wolves in Wyoming will remain on the list because the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service rejected the state's plan for a "predator zone" where wolves could be shot on sight. Wyoming Gov. Dave Freudenthal and a coalition of livestock and hunting groups have announced a lawsuit against the federal government over the decision.

Freudenthal, a Democrat, claimed "political expediency" was behind the rejection of his state's wolf plan.

Wolves were taken off the endangered list in the Northern Rockies — including Wyoming — for about five months last year. After environmentalists sued, a federal judge in Montana restored the protections and cited Wyoming's predator zone as a main reason. In the Great Lakes, the animal was off the list beginning in 2007 until a judge in Washington last September ordered them protected again.

Environmental and animal rights groups have also said they planned to sue over the delisting, claiming that there are still not enough wolves to guarantee their survival. The groups point to Idaho's plan to kill up to 100 wolves believed to have killed elk.

"We understand that hunting is part of wildlife policy in the West," said Anne Carlson with the Western Wolf Coalition. "(But) wolves should be managed like native wildlife and not as pests to be exterminated."

The delisting review began under the administration of President George W. Bush and the proposal was upheld by President Barack Obama's administration after an internal review. In a recent letter to several members of Congress, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar wrote that he was "confident that science justifies the delisting of the gray wolf."

Willey said his agency projected there would be between 973 and 1302 wolves in the Northern Rockies under state management, a number well above the 300 wolves set as the original benchmark for the animal's recovery.

More than 1,300 wolves roam the mountains of Montana and Idaho and an estimated 4,000 live in Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Gray Wolf OFF the Endangered Species List... Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 09:04:21 PM »
I'm with you on this. As a native Floridian, I root for the native wildlife. We've lost too many and too much to over development, golf courses, exotic species and the like. A bald eagle nests in my dad's yard just outside of the Big Cypress Preserve in the Glades and you can't swing a Yankee without hitting a gator. (I will get that image out of my head before my mind goes to a disturbing, but happy, place). I am delighted the wolf is back as they have more of a right to be here than we do. That being said, if they are threatening people's live stock on private land (NOT public BLM land, because I think if you lease taxpayer subsidized public land you get the critters that go with it), folks should be able to deal with the problem. (again, on land I pay for, suck it up). As far as hunting, the state wildlife commisions are in the best position to know whether its sustainable or not. Personally, I don't believe in predator hunting for sport, because the that's not their place in the food chain and I won't kill something I won't eat. Thats just a personal preference though, and I have zero problem with those that decide differently. As far as predator control, its not sport but work, and I have killed a few coyotes for a friend that was losing pen raised quail in Texas. All in all, I'm pro-wolf and oppose poison, traps and areial hunting,but fair chase should be up to the states to permit or not based on local data.
FQ13

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 11:29:12 AM »
Being from NJ my perspective is definitely "outsider" but I think it's a really good thing when any species come back. Lord knows we could use a few wolves here in NJ to eat some of the deer that are worse than pidgeons in Central Park. Since the coyotes have developed here the small irritating animals (coons, skunks, opossum,etc) are much more manageable. Of course, so are the small, fluffy pets...we lose a few of them too.

Now black bear are a problem in NW NJ- moving into the suburbs and the leftist govt won't allow a hunt. Be thankful for ANY wildlife management program that works. For every one it seems like there are ten that don't.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
I think wolf and grizzly should both taken off the endangered list in thoughs areas where thier numbers are in need of being kept in check.

Colorado no longer has trapping >:( Grew up a  traper, I am a firm believer in it!! It's needed to keep numbers manageable. Coyotes,fox,coons,skunk,muskrats are getting out of control.

The wolf and the grizzly will keep balance in the ecosystem.  BALANCE!!
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

graywolf

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 12:46:10 PM »
Hey, great I've been delisted......wait a minute!
Hannibal ad portas  Hannibal is at the gates

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:07:03 AM »

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 12:52:40 PM »
Hey, great I've been delisted......wait a minute!

Don't worry, we'll give you a head start. ;D
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 01:05:53 PM »
Don't worry, we'll give you a head start. ;D
At which point, we release Sarah Palin! You are soooooo screwed. ;D
FQ13

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 01:15:14 PM »
At which point, we release Sarah Palin! You are soooooo screwed. ;D
FQ13

Sarah Palin........screwed............oh, forget it.....I'll just head to the corner. ;)
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 02:09:06 PM »
Let me give you an insiders view. I was and continue to be against the reintroduction plan. Here's why. Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho weren't given a say in the process. It was decided by the federal government, and these states were simply told "You are getting the wolves, and YOU the states will now be responsible for their management." In the first year after reintroduction Wyoming lost nearly a third of it's fish and wildlife budget because of obligations it had to meet reguarding the wolves, and we've been playing catch up ever since. This has resulted in higher fees for hunting licenses and restricted access to state and BLM land because of "wolf habitat".
Secondly, the interior secretary at the time (correct me if I am wrong I believe it was Bruce Babbot) assured everyone that the wolves would remain in Yellowstone Park. We knew at the time that it was B.S. and now we are confirming it. I live about 280 miles from Yellowstone and we have had confirmed wolf sightings within a couple of miles from my house! The area I am in is one of the prime beef producing parts of the state. So when the wolves start decimating herds of cattle, the price of your steak starts going way up.
And finally, consider this, about every other year we have to track and kill a mountain lion or two, because they will come down off the top of the mountain and start prowling around the schools. It's only two elementary schools that they go to, and it's the same two every time. But, some of us here think about that and wonder how long before a wolf tries it. Then what? And don't misunderstand these schools are not on the edge of town or anything, they are right smack in the middle of very nice neighborhoods.
So there is my .02, so come to my house and berate me, but when you leave please take a wolf with you.
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 02:18:20 PM »
 But, some of us here think about that and wonder how long before a wolf tries it.

JC5123, unless the wolf is rabid that wont happen!!

Here in Colo. there have been sightings of wolves here. Which was bound to happen because of the growing numbers. I think any live stock that was lost to wolves will be rembursed for their lose.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk