Author Topic: Gray Wolf OFF the Endangered Species List... Thoughts?  (Read 6021 times)

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Gray Wolf OFF the Endangered Species List... Thoughts?
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 02:41:08 PM »
But, some of us here think about that and wonder how long before a wolf tries it.

JC5123, unless the wolf is rabid that wont happen!!

Here in Colo. there have been sightings of wolves here. Which was bound to happen because of the growing numbers. I think any live stock that was lost to wolves will be reimbursed for their lose.

So the mountain lions that have threatened our children were just rabid and so we can't go after them because they couldn't control themselves.

Look personally I don't like the idea of bringing the wolves back. But here is the real issue, and it's one that should be in the forefront of everyone's minds, is states rights. The federal government forced the reintroduction, and then forced the states to manage it. But then told the states HOW to manage it, but didn't do anything to offset the cost of the management.

Also, yes ranches do get reimbursed for livestock losses, FROM THE STATE. That means me. And you exactly right about growing numbers. So if you want an example of what a state managed species can do, just look at the bison populations.
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

1Buckshot

• Monty Lucht
  • Top Forum Member
  • COMMENCE FIRING
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 03:12:02 PM »
Hear in Montana the wolfs are decimating the dear and elk herds in a big way. The wolfs we have hear in NW Montana came naturally from Canada and are spreading south at an alarming rate. Just a few years ago, we were told that there were no wolves close to us. Now we have four packs within an hours drive. Go to the link of the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks and see for yourselves how many packs we have. http://fwp.mt.gov/wildthings/wolf/population.html , click on the map and close your mouth before a fly flies in. I just hope the courts will let the hunting season start this fall. I don't mind a few wolfs around, but they do need to be managed.

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 03:20:54 PM »
Hear in Montana the wolfs are decimating the dear and elk herds in a big way. The wolfs we have hear in NW Montana came naturally from Canada and are spreading south at an alarming rate. Just a few years ago, we were told that there were no wolves close to us. Now we have four packs within an hours drive. Go to the link of the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks and see for yourselves how many packs we have. http://fwp.mt.gov/wildthings/wolf/population.html , click on the map and close your mouth before a fly flies in. I just hope the courts will let the hunting season start this fall. I don't mind a few wolfs around, but they do need to be managed.

Agreed.
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 04:13:25 PM »

Agree also..

Need to be managed. Balance.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 04:19:41 PM »
Yes, I believe it is a states rights issue, but the Federals do it anyway.

On a more personal note, we see them around the house from time to time, usually the spring and fall when they are moving around with the Elk and Deer herds.  We also have Grizzly around, and had one removed from behind our house when it dined on our chickens for a few days.  We also get the lions around now and again, but they have not been a bother, yet.  At least in our little part of Montana, they are all doing quite well.. :)

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:40:45 PM »

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 04:25:37 PM »
Yes, I believe it is a states rights issue, but the Federals do it anyway.

On a more personal note, we see them around the house from time to time, usually the spring and fall when they are moving around with the Elk and Deer herds.  We also have Grizzly around, and had one removed from behind our house when it dined on our chickens for a few days.  We also get the lions around now and again, but they have not been a bother, yet.  At least in our little part of Montana, they are all doing quite well.. :)

-Bidah

Bidah, I was hoping you would weigh in this.

When things are left up to the Feds to run.... well we know how that goes ::)
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

callithump

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Truth sits on the lips of dying men.
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 09:13:04 PM »
I was hunting with a friend in Saco, MT on a friends section, 1995 I think. We were told to shoot any wolves we saw, and this was before they acknowledged wolves in MT. We did spot a wolf that was deer hunting too and took some shots. Grazed him and off he went. Near Missoula up the Nine Mile has plenty to deal with. Wolves never should have been re-introduced. They are killing livestock, pets and game animals willy nilly.

runstowin

• Thomas Jefferson: “Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just”
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 10:19:54 PM »
Federal intervention has been brought up several times, I think that the States should do what they need to do to take over most of the federal lands. These decisions need to be made closer to home.
Rights are like muscles, when they are not exercised they atrophy.

True_Texan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 11:10:54 PM »

Wow, that is quite amazing. For one, the population of the species has made that much of a comeback and two, they are able to track that stuff so closely.

Think I'll start praying: "I hope I don't have a tracking device in my butt. Please keep me from turning up on a statistics map."

Truly though, for humans and wolves to live together in balance, the smarter of the two needs to take steps to regulate the population of the other.
"Before giving someone a piece of your mind, be sure you have enough to spare."

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 12:24:19 AM »

Truly though, for humans and wolves to live together in balance, the smarter of the two needs to take steps to regulate the population of the other.

I think wolves should be reintroduced to Kalifornia, maybe they could eat some of the dumb ones.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk