Author Topic: Gray Wolf OFF the Endangered Species List... Thoughts?  (Read 6022 times)

Timothy

Re: Gray Wolf OFF the Endangered Species List... Thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2009, 04:32:41 PM »
All great points Kid and I DO agree on conservation vs. environmentalism...at the state level.

Here lies the problem....we have four basic upper level predatory species in the US, all competing for a similar food source or livelyhood, man, bear, lion and wolf.  If man had left a few bison rather than obliterate them 150 years ago, the wolf, bear and lion would have plenty of food source to go after if, and it's a big if, we stay out of their back yard.  As to the elk, mule deer and other critters, we manage them in order to live amoungst them and it's an unatural balance we're trying to achieve, it's a NO-WIN situation.

Again, don't want to start a big brewhaha about the subject.  Like Tom, I've never eaten lamb, never would but that's just me.  I do lilke wool but I don't believe I actually own any.  I can't walk in your shoes JC but I do understand that you need to live and I would probably do the same thing if I were in your situation.

I would hope that problem animals are dealt with for obvious reasons but I'm not the type of hunter that kills for any other reason than to put food on my table.

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2009, 04:45:59 PM »
All great points Kid and I DO agree on conservation vs. environmentalism...at the state level.

Here lies the problem....we have four basic upper level predatory species in the US, all competing for a similar food source or livelyhood, man, bear, lion and wolf.  If man had left a few bison rather than obliterate them 150 years ago, the wolf, bear and lion would have plenty of food source to go after if, and it's a big if, we stay out of their back yard.  As to the elk, mule deer and other critters, we manage them in order to live amoungst them and it's an unatural balance we're trying to achieve, it's a NO-WIN situation.

Again, don't want to start a big brewhaha about the subject.  Like Tom, I've never eaten lamb, never would but that's just me.  I do lilke wool but I don't believe I actually own any.  I can't walk in your shoes JC but I do understand that you need to live and I would probably do the same thing if I were in your situation.

I would hope that problem animals are dealt with for obvious reasons but I'm not the type of hunter that kills for any other reason than to put food on my table.

Tim, very well put!

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2009, 05:58:47 PM »
Damn, that is one big wolf. Before I popped the thumbnail into a photo, I thought he was holding a bear.

Lamb is wonderful, especially with a dollop of mint jelly.

Did I just say "dollop"?   :o
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

tombogan03884

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2009, 07:00:38 PM »
Damn, that is one big wolf. Before I popped the thumbnail into a photo, I thought he was holding a bear.

Lamb is wonderful, especially with a dollop of mint jelly.

Did I just say "dollop"?   :o

Yes you did ;D I don't have anything against lamb, used to love it when Gram would make it. And yes, she served it with a dollop of mint jelly.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk