Author Topic: Installing a Tactical latch for the charging handle  (Read 3761 times)

Dakotaranger

• Happiness is a 1911 in your hand
  • Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Installing a Tactical latch for the charging handle
« on: April 03, 2009, 01:31:51 AM »
I just received my Tactical latch for my AR-15's charging handle and I was trying to install it (I get how it is supposed to go together).  Bent the latch pin.  My question is:  Is there a trick to getting everything to line up and drive the pin in with only two hands?
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1110
Re: Installing a Tactical latch for the charging handle
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 07:11:52 PM »
Put a punch through the holes to hold everything in place, then drive the pin in from the other side. It would be easier with 3 or 4 hands but I managed to do okay by myself. I use my vise to hold things too. It's my 3rd hand.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 07:26:33 PM »
Like Frank said, use a slave pin to hold things loosely together, and I use a pin punch, most of you will not have them, but you might have something like them. A pin punch has a hole in the end about 1/8" deep to hold a pin of various sizes by magnetism. If you have a tamper proof torx bit set, these can used to good effect. Before anybody asks, a torx is the newish star looking drive screws, the tamper proof ones are like what are used on a lot of phone equipment, the star has a post in the center to prevent a standard torx to fit, so the corresponding bit, has a hole in it. This bit in magnetic screwdriver becomes a decent pin starter.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1110
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 07:59:16 PM »
I use parallel jaw pliers to start pins. One jaw has a V-groove in the middle so the pin doesn't roll around and the serrated jaw on the other side has a good grip. I can push the pin half way in with the pliers and then hammer it in the rest of the way. My pliers also have a wire cutter on them like the 2nd and 3rd picture.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk