Author Topic: Pressure Washing Concrete ??  (Read 14093 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Pressure Washing Concrete ??
« on: March 24, 2018, 06:59:38 PM »
Now that I've had this new concrete work done, I'd like to clean the older portion of my driveway. It's 20 years old, and has gotten yellow, dirty, and dingy over time. Not to mention when they excavated for my new concrete the Bobcat driver got rubber tire tracks all over it.

I was thinking about renting a gas powered pressure washer from Home Depot. They run only $50.00 or $60.00 bucks for a 4 hour minimum with a $100.00 deposit. Which seems really reasonable compared to hiring it out.

Have any of you guys ever done this? I've watched videos on You Tube, and it's amazing how well it works. I would like to not have to mess around with chemicals or cleaners. My driveway doesn't have any oil stains. Just the tire tracks, along with 20 years of dirt and grime.

alfack

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pressure Washing Concrete ??
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 07:08:12 PM »
I do it every spring to my driveway. It accumulates dirt and algae like moss slime, from all the rain. I broke down and bought a gas powered one from Costco several years ago, after my electric Karcher died. Good investment.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 576
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 08:44:52 PM »
Oh absolutely I've done that.  A lot of it.  Absolutely do not go less than 2,400 psig discharge.  2,700 is pretty good.  I have one that does 2-1/2 gallons a minute at 3,200 psig which is a very big improvement over 2,400.

Below 2,400 it is more a tease than a workhorse.  To do a really good job wet the concrete down and then take some cheap bleach  and spread it out with a push broom and let it work 10-20 minutes keeping it wet the entire time.  Then pressure wash it all.  Check the % of sodium hypochlorite; cheap sometimes has 6% vs 4% in name brands ( That change of 2% is really 50% more active ingredient).

Note what your faucet provides for water volume.  The 3,200 psig unit I have needs 5 gallons a minute...twice what it pumps.  It needs that so the pump is not starved on the suction side...which will tear a pump up sooner or later.  You may need to time a 5 gallon bucket.  Those little 3/8" water hoses won't work...you need a 3/4" if you can get it.

You can buy a good one for normal light use around $300-350.  Wash your car with it, the house, car mats, ash trays, rugs, strip paint, etc...whatever. 

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 11:34:45 AM »
You may want to buy one instead of renting, but renting would be a good way to see if it's something you'll want to do enough to justify buying one.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 11:58:12 AM »
You may want to buy one instead of renting, but renting would be a good way to see if it's something you'll want to do enough to justify buying one.

I would buy one in a heartbeat if I had a place to put it. After I get some of my new driveway block walled and gated in, I'm going to put up a nice small storage shed. Then I'll get one for certain. Right now I lack the room.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:50:10 AM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 12:50:51 PM »
Most places also rent a surface  cleaning head.  Which is well worth the money.   It will go faster, you will stay drier and it will prevent damage too the concrete. 
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

alfack

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 01:11:46 PM »
Most places also rent a surface  cleaning head.  Which is well worth the money.   It will go faster, you will stay drier and it will prevent damage too the concrete.

+1 to this idea. Makes it a much quicker job.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 02:13:06 PM »

I saw those on You Tube. But the Home Depot by me doesn't have any available for rent. I'll try a few others in the area. Are these the things that look like those big floor buffers you see janitors pushing around on hospital floors?

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 02:16:01 PM »
Yes, they have like a whirlybird sprinkler
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 877
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 05:13:43 PM »
I have run pressure washers for years in our barns.  Volume is as important as pressure, but for what you are doing, or will in a home setting, 3,000 psi and 2.5 gpm is plenty.  It may take longer for some tasks, but no reason doubling the price of equipment.

For cleaning the concrete, my years in the service station and auto shops made me a fan of powdered Tide.  Wet the surface, sprinkle the tide on the surface, and scrub with a stiff push broom to work in, DON'T LET IT DRY as it soaks, and then blast off.  In the service stations we only used faucet pressure through a nozzle.  However, it works quicker, and better, with the pressure.

Have fun!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk