Author Topic: 30.06 vs .308 for tactical rifle  (Read 54697 times)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 30.06 vs .308 for tactical rifle
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2009, 11:31:02 PM »
Not really going to get into it all, but the main problem with your theory is, you are basing it off a bunch of F&*@tards in Austin. Austin is probably the most liberal, most homosexual inhabited city in Texas. I don't have facts that I can print out and show you, but I don't live much more then an hour away. And on unfortunate occasions, I've had to go there.

So stop making your assumptions off your college days spent in Austin, or any time in Houston for that matter either. It doesn't represent the rest of this great state.
Once again, you've made your political POV clear. I'm not going to argue, because as as long as you're pulling for the 2A, I don't much care about it except as an exchange of views we can hopefully learn something from and have a little fun with. But, will you maybe try addressing the substance of my posts?
FQ13

brosometal

• Top Forum Member
  • Still a Grade A 1 smart donkey! DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2009, 07:02:51 AM »
I just caught this and I think if you look for a thread with Hunters vs. Shooters a lot of questions will be answered.  If I am remembering correctly, most of the growth in gun ownership is SD and not hunting.  While I can understand a nostalgic view of hunting, it isn't the sustaining force in the gun culture anymore.  MB had a lot of helpful statistics in the above mentioned post.  As for an anecdotal piece of evidence, I don't mind hunting and wouldn't mind going, but I have never been.  You will not find a stauncher 2A person if you dug up Madison. 

The hunting aspect, while nostalgic and a piece of Americana, is not the reason for the 2A.  It stands as a check against abuse of government.  You can clearly see who's wanting to control you via our ever growing federal behemoth (checkmark next to my name in DHS).  If we ever lose the SD argument, hunting will be an afterthought as well, ask England, Australia, etc.
The person who has nothing for which his is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
- J.S. Mill

tombogan03884

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2009, 10:15:34 AM »
MB has addressed in his blog the fact that hunting is a fading sport, not only in percentages of participants, but as a percentage of sales. Example, last year, with the massive sales of their M&P rifle and pistol lines S&W still lost money. Why ? Because Thompson Center which is aimed strictly at hunters, lost 46% of their sales.
The NRA and the rest of the fire arms industry focused on "Hunters" for decades with minimal results, now with BO in the Whitehouse the focus has shifted to "Shooting" sports and civil rights (2A ) and the results have been a 30% increase in NRA membership and 25%increase in monthly NICS checks, which of course does not take into account the untold number of private sales. And what are the guns that you have to wait to get ? AR's, AK's, semi auto hand guns. The people driving the market today don't specifically give a crap about "hunting" they are concerned with protecting life and liberty.

callithump

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Truth sits on the lips of dying men.
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2009, 08:04:22 PM »
I'll tell you the truth, if I was facing "a bunch of F&*@tards in Austin... probably" zombies I would be armed with the .308. "Quick Response" from Robar. It's the the ticket. My wife can carry more of the .308 ammo than the '06 so that firms up my choice.
http://www.robarguns.com/qr2.htm

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2009, 08:16:08 PM »
I'll tell you the truth, if I was facing "a bunch of F&*@tards in Austin... probably" zombies I would be armed with the .308. "Quick Response" from Robar. It's the the ticket. My wife can carry more of the .308 ammo than the '06 so that firms up my choice.
http://www.robarguns.com/qr2.htm

Dude, the only threat you're going to face in Austin is pretty girls, great live music, good food and cold beer. Lions, Tigers and Bears Oh My! ;D
FQ13
PS This is assuming the TX leg is not in session, but that only happens every other year so you're generally safe.

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 10:20:26 AM »

Texas_Bryan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2009, 09:14:16 PM »
Not really going to get into it all, but the main problem with your theory is, you are basing it off a bunch of F&*@tards in Austin. Austin is probably the most liberal, most homosexual inhabited city in Texas. I don't have facts that I can print out and show you, but I don't live much more then an hour away. And on unfortunate occasions, I've had to go there.

So stop making your assumptions off your college days spent in Austin, or any time in Houston for that matter either. It doesn't represent the rest of this great state.

Agreed, unfortunantely I live close by and every bit of that statement is correct.  But I'd rather live by Austin than San Antonio or Houston.  In Austin, its not mandatory that you must get stabbed or shot by gangsters on the way to work.

WOW...this thread is way off topic.  We should just start a new thread called 'Why Your State Isn't As Good As Texas'.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2009, 09:59:21 PM »
My reply's are found before here, yes I love Texas, and there is ample public hunting if you want to go through the bullshit, which is a lot like going to a public range, Yahoo's everywhere who may or may not have good ethics, values and the most important Safety on their minds, some of the rough parts like the Palo Duro canyon weed out the weekend hunters due to the harshness of hunting, lots of walking and stalking and if you do good, lots of work to get the kill back out, kind of like Colorado, which I have hunted public land, and it is unique to hunt in CO, get to your hunting area before light and watch as the sun comes up the orange vests in the landscape and watch their movements as I did, in a large draw, and the animals moving away from them, too far away for shot without a .50 BMG, but close enough to see with bino's, the deer and elk were definitely aware of the human presense. And just making adjustments to their daily routine, 200 yards ahead of the hunters, at all times, in thick woods.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Blaidd

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2009, 11:17:53 PM »
My dad just picked up the T/C Icon in .308. It is one nice gun that shoots very well. Personally, I'll keep my old M77 in .30-06 anyday. I can shoot it well enough to go deer for deer with him (actually I out do him with better sight and hearing  ;D ). Something I have also been looking into is a .260 for some "reach out and touch" shooting. I know the 06 will and can do it but I was wanting to try something different. I miss NM. I spent some time growing up there and miss being able to go out in the desert and hunt rabbit, dove or just go shooting. We don't quite have that here in VA. with all the private land.

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2009, 06:38:12 PM »
Got a chance to look at some rifles at Gander Mountain today. They only had one chambered in .308. Can't remember who made it but I did not like it. I did check out the Savages. Nice, but I did fall in love with a Remington (not sure the model number) with a synthetic stock and a Bushnell on top. Plus I liked the price range which was just a little over $500. It was in 30-06 though. There was a .243 that was really sharp too and quite a few .223.
As for ammo, it was still pretty bare.

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2009, 09:14:10 PM »
Either one is fine for me.  Have lot of experience with both.  Don't have a 308 for once in my life but I do have a 30-06 in a Remington 721 that went from 3" group to 3/4" group after taking off 2" of barrel and new crown.  Except for a 40X, haven't had a 308 do that but never put in that type of work in the rifle which might have had about same or better results.  The 40X could do 1/4" groups which was good enough for me.
DesertMarine

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk