Author Topic: Looking For A Good Digital Camera ?????  (Read 32910 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
Re: Looking For A Good Digital Camera ?????
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2017, 09:07:02 AM »
Echoing a few things above:

1) Memory.  Cheap memory can be slow when TAKING pictures making you wait until the next shot.  That's the biggest hangup I've had.  I like cheap and can stuff a bunch in my pocket but when it affects me by making me wait until the current picture is recorded then, well...enough is enough spend another $5-$10 on a card.

2)  Speed.  No you don't need a fast camera...so to speak.  I loosely equate speed with the ability to take lower light pictures.  Evaluate that need for yourself.  You may want something "faster"...again...the ability to have a flash is sometimes a crutch for the inability of the camera to take a good lower light picture.

3)  USB.  Heck yeah, I don't know of any now that don't have USB plug ins for downloading the pictures and if it does that I'd be 98% certain it will also charge the battery.

4) Wi-Fi.  Many of the newer models, if not most, now have Wi-Fi built in.  That way, for instance, if you are charging in your jeep and want to dump the pictures to a laptop then you can.  Now...I don't know what the transfer rates are or what the error count is but for me pulling out the chip and popping it into the laptop is quick and easy so Wi-Fi isn't a big deal for me.  Maybe someone can correct me on this...but Wi-Fi is not a determinant in my book.  Wi-Fi may be nice to have...but since it does not affect quality of the shot I don't really care whether or not it has Wi-Fi....seems like a gimmick for what I do.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2017, 09:51:30 AM »
This is about the best I can do with my 2.1 Sony Cybershot.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2017, 10:09:22 AM »
I don't have any good gun pics, but these are a couple of quick shots on auto setting.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Timothy

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2017, 10:13:31 AM »
That's not bad considering SS is a pain to photograph.

I can read Newport NH off the barrel!

Timothy

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2017, 10:14:11 AM »
Thems funny lookin dogs, Peg!

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 06:25:32 AM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2017, 10:46:24 AM »
Thems funny lookin dogs, Peg!

Indeed....but they do taste really good!!  ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

BAC

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2017, 01:05:52 PM »
First off Brian, Your pictures are beautiful! Especially that engraved Colt Single Action Army! That's basically what I'm looking to do. My wife wants me to photograph my whole collection, along with providing descriptions and value estimates. In case something were to happen to me, so she wouldn't get screwed over trying to sell anything or everything.

I always try to keep the latest S.P. Fjestad Book Of Gun Values on hand. But that can get confusing to someone who doesn't know guns, conditions, etc. So that's the main purpose for this camera. To provide something better than my little 15 year old Sony Cybershot can. I suppose I'll need Macro. Do they all come with some type of Macro setting? ($500 to $750 range cameras, like the Nikon and Canon I posted?) From what I've read SanDisk memory cards have a pretty good reputation. Even the 128 GB seems affordable. And as you mentioned, an extra battery sounds like a necessary investment.

I don't need high speed for video. Just something for basic short video's. (Stuff like my dog, or me at the range, etc.) Nothing like capturing auto racing, or anything like that. My old Sony will shoot "video". If you really want to call it that. It makes the first motion picture of, "The Great Train Robbery" look high tech. And it only lasts a few seconds. So whatever I end up with will be a massive improvement over what I have now.

First off, thank you!  That's very kind.  One of the added benefits of having a camera with a larger sensor and a lens with a large aperture (smaller f number) is the ability to blur out the background so your eyes go to the main subject (in this case the SAA in the front).

If you're looking for macro in an SLR you are looking at getting an upgraded lens with a good macro range or a dedicated macro lens.  One of the benefits of point and shoot cameras is they usually have a macro setting built-in that will allow you to focus very closely.  Olympus is famous for this because they are, at the end of the day, a microscope company.

SanDisk memory cards are all I use.  Never had a problem with them.  Still, backing up all your images to a couple of places is a good idea.  What is it Michael says?  All things made by man break eventually.

USB charging - Some cameras can. Some cameras can't.  Just a matter of doing your research.

WiFi - Full disclosure, I'm addicted to WiFi in my cameras.  Especially the Olympus.  It allows me to control the camera remotely, change settings, even zoom the lens with my smart phone.  Once the photo is taken it can be transferred to my smart phone for immediate upload to social media or Flickr.  Some cameras are more capable than others in this regard.

By the way, your photo of the Ruger is REALLY good!

BAC

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2017, 01:07:12 PM »
I don't have any good gun pics, but these are a couple of quick shots on auto setting.

Loverly!

BAC

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2017, 01:19:04 PM »
One of my all-time favorites:

Beretta 92FS
by Brian Chiaravalle, on Flickr

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk