Author Topic: One shot drops and reality  (Read 11573 times)

BBJohnnyT

• NRA Endowment Member
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
One shot drops and reality
« on: August 30, 2012, 11:10:43 AM »
In the following article I read today...

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2012/08/seal-book-says-bin-laden-was-unarmed-killed-outside-his-bedroom/56311/

Navy SEAL Matt Bissonnette said... "there was no extended firefight between SEAL Team 6 members and bodyguards and bin Laden himself never got the chance to confront or even see the soldiers before they killed him. Instead, he was shot in the hallway outside of his bedroom, then "disappeared into the dark room." By the time the soldiers entered, he was already dying of wounds to the head. Bissonnette says he and another team member then shot him several more times in the chest to ensure he was dead."

So apparently Bin Laden was shot in the head, but still had enough mental capacity to function for a few more seconds and steps.  If he was armed and had enough determination, he very well could have got off a shot or two, possibly killing or wounding a SEAL.  This looks like more support against the Failure Drill, but to keep firing until an assailant drops and no longer appears to be a threat.
"If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns." - Edward Abbey

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
Re: One shot drops and reality
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 04:49:51 PM »
The only TRUELY one shot drop is one to the madula oblangata. (sp) Know to snipers as the apricot. Anywhere else, you are probably going to have at least a few seconds. A head shot is prbably going to turn your brain to mush so any movement will probably be muscle spasm as opposed to conscious movement. Just hope that the bugger hook still on th bang switch isn't one of those twitches.
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 05:59:05 PM »
There are "head shots" and there are "head shots".
A center mass through and through with an expanding round will leave them DRT.
An FMJ front to back, or vice versa, can pass between the lobes with out causing major damage, and glancing blows may look impressive with out actually penetrating the skull.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 09:30:45 AM »
There are "head shots" and there are "head shots".
A center mass through and through with an expanding round will leave them DRT.
An FMJ front to back, or vice versa, can pass between the lobes with out causing major damage, and glancing blows may look impressive with out actually penetrating the skull.

Like the Congresswoman from AZ, Gabby Giffords, shot at point blank through the head with a Glock and FMJs IIRC
He who dares wins.  SAS

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 11:14:14 AM »
And a month later she was casting votes again.
That either says something about her luck or about what it takes to be a  democrats, and I have my own ideas about which one.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:48:12 PM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 01:14:15 PM »
Any shot that severs the spinal cord is likely to be a fight stopper if not a one shot kill. 
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 02:32:33 PM »
Any shot that severs the spinal cord is likely to be a fight stopper if not a one shot kill. 

I'll just head to the corner for what I was going to say.  Something about spineless, brainless politicians...
He who dares wins.  SAS

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 02:45:40 PM »
I'll just head to the corner for what I was going to say.  Something about spineless, brainless politicians...

That is why Tom, in his wisdom, has proposed the Hemp Solution to eliminating them.  They are high enough on the evolutionary chain to need to breathe.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 06:00:45 PM »
That is why Tom, in his wisdom, has proposed the Hemp Solution to eliminating them.  They are high enough on the evolutionary chain to need to breathe.

So aren't ticks, and they are parasites as well.

JoeG

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 08:43:58 PM »
The only TRUELY one shot drop is one to the madula oblangata. (sp) Know to snipers as the apricot. Anywhere else, you are probably going to have at least a few seconds. A head shot is prbably going to turn your brain to mush so any movement will probably be muscle spasm as opposed to conscious movement. Just hope that the bugger hook still on th bang switch isn't one of those twitches.

If you have ever seen a bull fight, then you can relate to the shot at the base of the brain. The finale to a bull fight is for the matador to dance forward with a skinny little sword and reach over the bulls head between the horns and stab through the neck at the base of the skull. Done right and the 1500# of meaness drops like a rock. Done wrong and the matador goes for a ride then flies through the air. If he is lucky, the other guys can distract the bull before he is crushed.

Brutal but very dramatic!

joe
“You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad.” Gen. James Mattis

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk