Author Topic: Heading to Gunsite!  (Read 7622 times)

38stupid

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Heading to Gunsite!
« on: May 04, 2016, 01:42:59 PM »
Gents,

I finally am taking the Gunsite 250 Class next week!  I decided to take my 1911 45acp for the class.  I was debating on other choices but after all it is Gunsite!

I have read some of the reviews and comments regarding the 250 class.  I was looking for any advice from any previous students. I am bringing all the listed stuff. What I am looking for are items that others found useful or wished they had brought.

Hopefully I can take Gabe's class this fall.

Thanks,

38Stupid

dipisc

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Heading to Gunsite!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 03:29:27 PM »
Hi;

Can not help you on what to take or leave behind - but keep us informed if you can daily as to what is happening there !

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 05:13:26 PM »
Just soak it all up. Gunsite is a literal training playground! Oh and bring some extra cash, it is pretty much impossible to make it out of the pro shop without SOMETHING.  ;D
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 08:08:29 AM »
I hope it's all well.   I'm envying you. 

Give us an update when you can.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Timothy

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 08:24:43 AM »
Alf, wasn't yer Suarez thing at Gunsite?

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:08:19 PM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 04:21:41 PM »
No.  For some reason we thought it was going to be, but Gabe is based out of Prescott.  We used some open land just outside of town as our "range".
Will work for ammo

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 05:12:15 PM »
I envy you!  Gunsite is on my bucket list.  Just after hitting the lottery!  LOL

Enjoy,

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

38stupid

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 07:51:45 AM »
What an experience!  Gunsite had (2) 250 classes running simultaneously.  The group I was in was a combination of federal agencies, police and "civilians".   I couldn't imagine a better bunch of guys to train with.   I will post more details when I get a chance.

38stupid

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 08:40:29 PM »
I will post more details when I get a chance.

38stupid

Now LISTEN up, pilgrim.  NO!  Either post details or not there is not "get a chance".
Will work for ammo

38stupid

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 09:16:19 AM »
OK - Details.  They recommend 1000 rounds of ammo and 50 rounds of frangible.  I used about 850 rounds of "main" ammo and had 20 rounds of frangible left after the smoke cleared.  The 250 class qualifies for the AZ concealed carry license.  For an additional fee you can get your AZ CCW by completing the class AND not shooting any NO-Shoots during the class. (In the indoor simulator and trench run)

Day 1:  Lecture on safety and procedures.  Headed to square range and spent the rest of the day there.  Range: Went over the range commands, basic shooting drills.  Developed the draw stroke, emphasis on smooth trigger press, single shots to body, controlled pairs, and single shots to upper.  No speed required but accurate hits are a must.  The shots have to be in the defined box in their respective zone.  Instructors kept emphasizing ACCURACY!  Target distances from 3 / 5 / 10 yards.   The temperature had been in the mid 70's.  We kept on drinking the supplied water and Gatorade mix religiously.  The dry air will fool you and you will dehydrate!  Homework was to work on draw stroke and dry fire.  They had a number of safe targets you could sign out to point at during dry firing at the hotel.  They also suggest dry firing with a spent case on the front sight to improve smoothness.  Had a quick man on man shoot off.

Day 2:  Start at square range.  More presentations and controlled pairs and upper zone engagements.  Got into tactical reloading techniques.  Also added malfunction drills Types 1 and 2. Targets engaged at 3 /5 / 10 / 15 / 20 yards.  Did kneeling positions - ouch.  The pace really began to accelerate.  Had a short lecture on ballistics.  Homework - more dry firing, practice tactical reloads.  Drink water!

Day 3:  Start at classroom.  Mindset lecture and mental conditioning.  Square range: More presentation with movement off line.  Added prone shooting at 15 / 20 yards.  Did some 25 yard shooting.  Added turns and pivot shooting.  Did some El presidents.  Barricade shooting added.  Speed reloads added. Type 3 and 4 malfunctions added.  Did the Dozier man on man shoot off.  Again the pace was increasing but accuracy was implied.

Day 4:  Met at square range but split into (3) groups.  One group stayed at square range, one to the indoor simulator and the last to the outdoor simulator.  Square range: more repetition of the basic presentations.  Failure drill (2 +1) shots.  El Presidents. Kneeling and prone.
Indoor simulator:  Shot the scenario set up by instructors.  This will get your heart rate up!Use the techniques taught to save you loved one.  You are given a quick critique of your performance.  Used the frangible ammo.  Lots of fun!
Outdoor simulator:  Trench run I call it.   Targets hidden that  you must clear as you search.  Frangible ammo again.  Utilize techniques taught about cover, and slicing the pie.  Quick critique again.
 After lunch instructors gave an overall review of performance of the class.  You are going to suck with the simulators.  Experienced law people did poorly.  Just listen to what they tell you to do.
Came back after dark for night shooting.  Bring a good flashlight - not a Walmart special.  Lots of fun.  Shot (2) different techniques of flashlight.  Did I mention to drink lots of water?

Day 5:  This is THE day.  Split into (3) groups - square range, indoor and outdoor simulators.  Simulators are different locations with different setups.  Bring EXTRA water with you to the simulators as you might be gone for hours without water access.  It was in the upper 80's and you will dehydrate quickly.  Square range shot the timed requirements for passing class.  Simulators are setup with a more difficult scenarios than the day before.  Just about everybody did betting on the simulators from the day before. Just listen to what they tell you and slow down. 
Break for lunch: Settle up bill at pro shop.
Instructors give critique on class performance overall.  Class shoots the man on man for class champion.  A couple of knock down plates, reload and crossing popper!  Lots of fun.
Head back to class room for graduation.  There are (4) grades you can receive for your performance. 
You had the opportunity to meet Mrs. Cooper and see the Colonel's house and guns afterwards.

Overall it was a great experience.  I already had the basic gun handling and shooting skills before the class.  I had NO experience with clearing houses,  trenches or night shooting.  The mind set was drilled into you if you listened.  I had different habits with grip and presentation which I fought during the class.  I was trying to do everything as they taught - that is what I paid for.  I will make some changes based upon their instruction.  I purposely did not get into specifics of techniques and tips they teach you.  That is what you pay for.  We had (4) instructors with us.  Just like in the real world, you going to relate to some more than others.  They all are very professional and safety conscious.  It was nice to see them pounce on anyone doing something remotely wrong in regards to safety.  I would say the about half the class shot 1911's and the other half was a mix of Glocks, Sigs in various calibers.  One person had a 1911 with a slide mounted optic. 

Lunches are about an hour near the classroom area.   They have a service which you can pick your lunches on the first day and have them there waiting for you when you break.  It was $12.00 a day and worth it.  The selection was very good.  Either you bring a lunch or use the service.  There is not enough time to go into the nearest town and get back for class.

If you stay in Prescott, plan on about a 50 minute drive to and from the range.  Traffic in Chino is heavy during rush hour.

In my opinion, do not go into the class with the attitude that you know everything / anything.  We had some awesome shooters in the class that listened and learned and came out even better that when they began.  You are paying for the experience.  Listen to what they have to say and try to apply it even if you don't agree 100%.  Drink the Kool-aid.  Make your decision of what works for you after the week is over.  You might surprise yourself of what you learn. Keep an open mind.

DVC - 38stupid

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk