Author Topic: .458 SOCOM  (Read 13432 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1112
Re: .458 SOCOM
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2018, 12:59:12 PM »
If you're going to go big it may as well be a .50 caliber. Anything bigger would be overkill.

http://www.bighornarmory.com/catalog/big-horn-armory-products/ar500-500-auto-max-16/

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=534
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 584
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2018, 09:51:32 AM »
So I have just skimmed over the big caliber conversions the last few years waiting on something to settle.  Seems like it's settling into some favorites now. 

Right or wrong, I think this started with the 450 Bushmaster.  What are the top 3 choices now (understanding Dianne, et.al. have a new one on the way)?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2018, 12:40:55 PM »
For the AR 15 framework.

In .30 caliber there's .300Blackout and 7.62x39
Then there's the .375 SOCOM

Above that you have the .450Bushmaster and the 458SOCOM

Problem is the SOCOM's are not SAMMI yet.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Signs... Signs from above
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2018, 11:21:58 AM »
[Had a bad day at the range.   Scope problems.  You crank in an 1" of UP correction and the bullet placements moves RIGHT.  YES, I have the scope on correctly. ]

At my range, River Bend Gun Club, each of the ranges has a street number as part of the emergency procedures and protocols.    Here's our Multi-Purpose 100yd range.   Definitely a sign that I'm using the right caliber.

Then the other day I saw this sign at a local "convenience" store.

And lastly, Wikileaks just release this photo that NASA has suppressed for some time.

FIRST PICTURE FROM MARS by CURIOSITY

Will work for ammo

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2018, 12:43:08 PM »
Shooting your .458 at 458. 8) Would it happen to be 2 minutes til 5 o'clock?

That sucks about the scope. How is that even possible? Bourbon isn't the answer.

There should be a Walmart and another Starbucks in the last pic.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #65 on: Today at 06:51:00 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2018, 03:59:41 PM »
Always time for Bourbon!

We have 4 CVSs within a 1.5mi stretch of road.

I was "tinkering" with the scopes and one of those universal laser bore sight units.   I think I got carried away and turned the scope adjustment(s) much to far and now the whole thing is whacky.   There are 3 of them I did this too!!!   One by one I'll see about centering the adjustments.  Not ready to blame the bore sight just yet.   Maybe just a warning about getting over exuberant in using them once I figure out what I did.

Good news is my varmint AR, 10# of solid bull barrel and solid, full metal hand guard still shoots like a tack driver.   I didn't mess with it ;)
Will work for ammo

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2018, 09:49:44 PM »
I just noticed the Tromix barrel...kewl.

The scope could be the problem.  I'm assuming when you said the scope is on correctly that means vertical crosshair alignment.   I've had a problem with scope rings being out-of-alignment and causing scope drift on power and crosshair adjustments.  Ever since I started aligning and honing scope rings I have had much better scope success. 

I have especially had problems on some of the one piece rings...the ones where the two rings are connected by a solid piece of metal they were machined from.  Those look like top notch rings but if you didn't hone them it may be an issue. 

Just my 2 cents.  I have one inch, 30 MM and 34 MM scope ring alignment and honing kits from our friend Larry Potterfield....I'm just sayin'....

Otherwise the scope may need to go back....

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2018, 11:05:43 PM »
SBR sells .458 SOCOM ammo with a 250 grain Barnes TSX bullet at 1990 fps with a muzzle energy of 2004 ft/lbs
and also .375 SOCOM ammo with a 250 grain BARNES TTSX bullet at 2125 fps with a muzzle energy of 2507 ft/lbs.
That's a 25% increase in power for the same bullet weight, with a flatter trajectory and longer effective range.
A box of the .375 SOCOM ammo is 96 cents more expensive, but if you're spending 55 bucks on a box of ammo
I don't think 56 bucks a box is going to break you.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2018, 05:50:06 AM »
Ouch.  $55-56 a box!  My goodness....ouch that would leave a mark.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2018, 05:58:39 PM »
Ouch.  $55-56 a box!  My goodness....ouch that would leave a mark.

I can't afford the ammo, much less a new upper. If 5.56 mm isn't big enough, I'll just have to settle for my .44 Magnum lever action. I could buy a lot more ammo for the same price. If I have to shoot twice instead of once I might still be money ahead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk