Author Topic: Removing an AR's front sight  (Read 4051 times)

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
Removing an AR's front sight
« on: November 07, 2008, 11:10:31 AM »
OK, don't know what went wrong.

I ordered an upper half from Stag Arms, and I am convinced I said no front sight. Invoice, which I did not peruse, says front sight, so the upper came with an optic rail and a front sight right smack dab where I don't want one.

Stag has a restock fee policy, have not called them, though. I wanted to know how tough it is to remove the front sight? If I can do it myself, I'll just go ahead and do it, save myself a couple of weeks of wait time to get the new upper, and maybe save myself the 15% as well, in addition to the new shipping charges.

There appear to be 2 little pins that if I pop them out, the sight should come off? Is that right, and am I opening the gas block to the air if I do that? Heading to ARForum, but I wanted to put the question out here first.

Thanks all.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
Re: Removing an AR's front sight
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 11:13:07 AM »
It should be a matter of just drifting out a pin.  Midway USA has a video link showing how to do it.  I believe the front sight is also one of those items you want support for when you drift the pin so things don't break.

Short answer long ... Go to MidwayUsa.com or Brownells.com and check out their online how to tips.  Supposed to be easy!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 11:33:57 AM »
Well, I googled things, and just got an education.

I want to shoot the d@%$ thing and I'm looking at tearing it down (flash suppressor and FSB, or sending it back and eating the costs, and then rebuilding with a new part. The Brownell's FSB tool is nearly $40 itself, although the video helped as far as it went.

Think I'll call Stag and see what they say, maybe they will take pity on an old fart guy like me and agree to swap if I pay the shipping.   >:(
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 12:34:11 PM »
If your a little handy, just saw the base off at the diagonal legs, draw file the remaining sight base to make it snag free and look good, and finish up with some cold blue. 20 minutes and you don't have to disassemble the sight base. If you were here, I'd just chuck it up in the mill, and mill the base off.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 12:25:44 AM »
The gas block is built into the front sight and holds the gas tube on. If you take it off it exposes the gas port in the barel. I used a hacksaw, file, sandpaper, and cold blue on a couple myself. If you take the sight base off you have to replace it with a gas block. The pins only come out one way because the holes and pins are tapered. IMHO the original sight is mounted much more solidly than the replacement gas blocks that have set screws holding them on, so cutting it down is a lot better than replacing it.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:09:23 PM »

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 06:13:32 AM »
Have you thought about installing a scope riser?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk