Author Topic: Competition load for 45 ACP  (Read 6845 times)

fullautovalmet76

Competition load for 45 ACP
« on: April 18, 2011, 10:24:40 AM »
Disclaimer: For informational purposes only. Please consult your reloading manual(s) for guidance on your loads.

I tested this load over 100 rounds of chrono testing and it was confirmed at the Area 6 championship this past weekend:

Powder: 4.1 gr. Ramshot Competition
Bullet: 230 gr. FMJ (Winchester)
Brass: new Winchester brass
Primer: Winchester Large Pistol
OAL: 1.255"
Pistol: STI Spartan

This delivered an average velocity of 757 ft/sec or a power factor of 174,110. This is where I wanted my load to be as I didn't want any surprises like some experienced when they went to the chrono station.....This load has some snap but I find it to be a much better shooting experience than shooting it with Win 231 or just plain WWB. YMMV.....

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
Re: Competition load for 45 ACP
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 08:57:11 PM »
Very cool.   It's always a sigh of relief, even with factory ammo, to pass the chrono stage.   

Hope eveyone had a good time.  How did you place?   What shooting celebs did you see?

I wish I could have gone, but between work and the darn cold, there was no way to make it.  Hopefully, I'll make the GA state shoot this fall
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 09:19:22 PM »
Very cool.   It's always a sigh of relief, even with factory ammo, to pass the chrono stage.   

Hope eveyone had a good time.  How did you place?   What shooting celebs did you see?

I wish I could have gone, but between work and the darn cold, there was no way to make it.  Hopefully, I'll make the GA state shoot this fall
Alf,
"Mike" was my constant companion. This was the worst match I ever shot. I had 10 mikes over the 12 stages, only 1 on Sunday though....  ::) The stages were deceptively difficult as evidenced by several top GMs picking up 3 - 4 mikes. Take a look at the carnage or results and you'll see what I mean. I placed 14 out of 18 L10 shooters. The guy who took L10 shot it clean and fast. I was hoping to do well, at least be at the median but it just didn't happen. I'm a lowly C shooter and I know it....  :-[

The weather was like typical June/July weather on Saturday and that sure affected everyone, but Sunday's weather was much better. Some drama occurred on our first stage when the first shooter was DQ'd for his open gun falling out of the holster; he never fired a shot....And Kay Miculek was DQ'd too!  :o I did get to see Blake Miguez, Jesse Abbate, Randi Rogers, and a few others.

I have to say I was somewhat disappointed in the way the match was organized. I was expecting more vendor participation but there were a dearth of vendors there. It just seemed like the whole thing was thrown together at the last minute. But the stages sure weren't designed at the last minute though; I have to give the designers props for that. I think if A6 is held at the same time of year in the same location next year, I will skip it. I would rather travel to GA where the temps are much more moderate and the range is supposed to be first rate. I think I'm going to register for the GA championship too; maybe we can cross paths....

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 05:37:38 AM »
It seems A6 has had several "dis-organized" shoots.   Last year's GA state shoot ran well, I thought.  Of course it was the first really major shoot I'd been at.   I did it all on a Friday and the vendors weren't there in person until Saturday which was disappointing.   I shot with mostly ROs who couldn't shoot on Sat-Sun.  No GMs but numerous M, A and B.   One guy on our squad, who had come from NC DQ'd on the first stage.   He took it well and volunteered to be RO for the rest of the match since he'd already paid for his hotel.

Details on GA shoot are coming out soon.   I'm guessing it'll be a River Bend in N. Ga again.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 08:31:18 AM »
Alf,
"Mike" was my constant companion. This was the worst match I ever shot. I had 10 mikes over the 12 stages, only 1 on Sunday though....  ::) The stages were deceptively difficult as evidenced by several top GMs picking up 3 - 4 mikes. Take a look at the carnage or results and you'll see what I mean. I placed 14 out of 18 L10 shooters. The guy who took L10 shot it clean and fast. I was hoping to do well, at least be at the median but it just didn't happen. I'm a lowly C shooter and I know it....  :-[

The weather was like typical June/July weather on Saturday and that sure affected everyone, but Sunday's weather was much better. Some drama occurred on our first stage when the first shooter was DQ'd for his open gun falling out of the holster; he never fired a shot....And Kay Miculek was DQ'd too!  :o I did get to see Blake Miguez, Jesse Abbate, Randi Rogers, and a few others.

Don't worry about "Mike."  We have a saying at the clubs where I shoot:  If you're in a bank that is being robbed and I walk in the door bend over and kiss your butt good bye!!!  Because, the first thing I do on a stage is shoot the first "no shoot" I see  ;D

Don't sweat being a "C" shooter!  I'm borderline "C" but still a "D" no matter how hard I try.  However, I have  brought prizes home, and in 2009 I brought a gun home from the Pro Am!  Competition is a blast, and shooters are great people when it comes to supporting people of all abilities.  Besides, is there anything more fun than making empty brass?

Kay DQ'ed - My first exposure to USPSA was in Arizona with Rob Leatham.  He was great, and as he took the two of us around the range and explained the game he told us to just relax.  We were tense about screwing up and making fools of our selves.  He looked at us and said "There are two types of shooters - Those that have DQ'ed and those that will."  So far I haven't, but I know my "walk of shame" is on its way.

First shooter DQ'ing - Did he make the mistake of picking the gun up, or did the RO make a ruling for just dropping?

Glad you had a good time!  Glad you got to spend some time with some big names!  And the others on here would think I was sick if I didn't ask so ... Was the weather nice enough for Jessie to be in her spandex and hot pants  ;)  Trust me, Tulsa in June does wonders for her!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:22:55 PM »

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 07:06:51 PM »
....First shooter DQ'ing - Did he make the mistake of picking the gun up, or did the RO make a ruling for just dropping?.....And the others on here would think I was sick if I didn't ask so ... Was the weather nice enough for Jessie to be in her spandex and hot pants  ;)  Trust me, Tulsa in June does wonders for her!

The stage had balls for props one could throw at these foot triggers to activate a clam shell target and a couple of swingers. I was told by someone who shot before to forget about the balls as they were really a waste of time but this guy tried anyway. He threw the first ball and missed. He pivoted sharply about his hips and his open gun tumbled to the ground. He never got a shot off. He was using a Ghost holster or something like that IIRC.

As for Jesse, she was in regular shorts and she filled them nicely too! I didn't get a chance to talk to her but everyone there said she is a very nice person.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 09:36:58 PM »
The stage was had balls for props that one could throw at these foot triggers to activate a clam shell target and a couple of swingers. I was told by someone who shot before to forget about the balls as they were really a waste of time but this guy tried anyway. He threw the first ball and missed. He pivoted sharply about his hips and his open gun tumbled to the ground. He never got a shot off. He was using a Ghost holster or something like that IIRC.

As for Jesse, she was in regular shorts and she filled them nicely too! I didn't get a chance to talk to her but everyone there said she is a very nice person.

In my mind I didn't realize it was during the course of fire.  I have seen a lot of guns fall from holsters during the walk through and when resetting the course.  I have also seen guns dropped during the course of fire, but I can't ever remember seeing a gun fall from a holster between load and draw.  A true Oh S**T moment  :-[
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk