Author Topic: Leather working start-up!  (Read 18206 times)

Timothy

Leather working start-up!
« on: November 18, 2011, 10:34:39 AM »
Could one of you experts in the fine art of leather working/holster making give us laymen and idea of start up cost regarding sewing machines, tools and accessories required to get started?

Thanks in advance

tombogan03884

Re: Leather working start-up!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 10:47:10 AM »
Tim, You don't  need a sewing machine if you look close these guys are all hand stitching them.
You would pay through the nose for a commercial machine capable of stitching through 3 layers of leather.
To get started at a very basic level the leather will be your biggest expense. You will want a razor knife or REALLY good pair of scissors for cutting the leather, one of those roller wheel things for laying out the stitch line, and a "Burnisher" for give the edges a finished polish. To actually make the holes for sewing you can use an awl, but my Dad uses a cordless drill with a small bit ( 1/8th inch I think ). If you want to get into tooling and carving it gets more complex.

Here's a good link for supplies, you can no doubt do better but it's some place to start.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/home.aspx

Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Very Active Forum Member
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 10:48:24 AM »
Check out Springfield Leather (www.springfieldleather.com) for pricing. Good prices, good tools, etc. They also carry Tandy's line, so its more of a one stop shop if you go through them.

All you need to get started is:
Good leather, an awl, harness needles, waxed linen or nylon thread, a sharp knife (or several), a place to work, and an imagination.

I have yet to use a sewing machine on my goods, although it is on my want list to save time.

The rest of the stuff, you are better off buying as you need it, rather than stocking up a whole tool box of stuff you never use.

I buy a side of leather from Wicket and Craig for 130 dollars or so. This is basically half a cow, so its a lot of leather.

The other stuff I got from Springfield Leather or Tandy over the years. Ebay has a lot of older tools too, but prices vary.
DM

Edit... Tom got a lot of what I missed too. The overstitch wheel is important to help get even spacing of your stitches, as well as a stitch groover, to lay out a groove for your stitch to lay in.
And the burnisher, which can be a piece of smooth antler or wood, or plastic, or...... Lots of choices there.
DM
Proprietor of Plum Creek Leather Works - Old West Gunleather
http://www.freewebs.com/daltonmasterson/plumcreekleatherworks.htm
Friend of www.runniron.com
SASS #51139L
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS

Ranger Dave

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 10:56:52 AM »
Guys, I have enjoyed all the pictures and the workmanship. Like Timothy I am interested in the process and I would love to see pictures of the process. Thanks
Ranger Dave

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
I forgot about the groover, and I could not remember what the needles were called.
 I was just going from seeing Dad work.
One thing I would suggest, The first time you try something, for example, a holster, get a pattern.
You don't have to stick to it, but it will give you an idea of the lay out and sizing.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:38:08 PM »

denster

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 11:46:53 AM »
A lot depends on what you intend to do. If you are making holsters for yourself then hand sewing is a viable option. I strongly recommend getting a good awl and learning to sharpen it. Drilling the holes doesn't really look good.
Leather is actually on of the least expensive things you will buy. I favor Hermann Oak as it is probably used by more professional makers than any other. Call Kevin at Springfield leather. They will cut pieces for you so you don't have to purchase a whole side. For most holsters you will be using less than a sqft and for the amount of time you will have in a holster it doesn't make sense to try to save a dollar or two on leather.
If you plan on going into business then a sewing machine is a must if you intend to be competetive. I would recommend the Tippmann Boss hand operated machine. I have two and I also have a powered machine. I find I still do 85% of holsters on the Boss.
For hand sewing holsters the basic tools can be had in excellent quality for under $150.

Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 12:00:51 PM »
Glad you mentioned that bit about Springfield cutting down the Hermann Oak. I had them send me 6 ft of HO leather a few weeks ago to try. I got quite a few holsters out of that little piece of leather.
DM
Proprietor of Plum Creek Leather Works - Old West Gunleather
http://www.freewebs.com/daltonmasterson/plumcreekleatherworks.htm
Friend of www.runniron.com
SASS #51139L
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS

langloisandy

• Andys Leather!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 12:12:55 PM »
I have approximately $40-50K into my tools and machines...(at old-days costs, no clue on replacement costs! Probably a TON more!!)

It's not cheap, but you can make do with some hand tools and hand stitching if you are doing low quantities.

Andy
andysleather.com and shottist.com
Andy
www.andysleather.com
Ask me about Scout Rifle Slings ( www.scoutrifle.org )

Timothy

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 02:16:37 PM »
Are some of the starter kits listed on the Tandy site a waste of money? 

My father dabbled in leather years ago and I have an idea what is necessary from a hobby point of view.  From the looks of some of the beautiful holsters I've seen here recently, I assumed that you guys were doing it from more of a professional side.

thanks for the input...

denster

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 02:20:56 PM »
Avoid the Tandy starter kits like the plague. You will be much better served by buying the tools you need individually.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk