Author Topic: Low Cost Gun Safe Alternative  (Read 27208 times)

Timothy

Re: Low Cost Gun Safe Alternative
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2009, 01:19:06 PM »
I think that these boxes scream "TOOLS" and not "GUNS" is reason enough to use them.  Even two guys are going to have trouble humping 200 pounds plus content out the back door.

The more I think of this, the better the idea looks.  Now, if only I knew a fabricator, welder, sheet metal, carpenter kind of guy.......

Oh, yea!  That would be ME! ;D

tombogan03884

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2009, 01:22:14 PM »
I think that these boxes scream "TOOLS" and not "GUNS" is reason enough to use them.  Even two guys are going to have trouble humping 200 pounds plus content out the back door.

The more I think of this, the better the idea looks.  Now, if only I knew a fabricator, welder, sheet metal, carpenter kind of guy.......

Oh, yea!  That would be ME! ;D

Does your Company allow "Govt. projects" ?

Timothy

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2009, 02:00:23 PM »
Does your Company allow "Govt. projects" ?

I'm sure they do, I see it all the time.  Most companies this size have no clue what's walking out the back door. 

I would pay for the materials and develop the layouts on my own time, do the break work and welding myself.  Painting would be an issue but I could use the sand blaster on my own time too.

We could work through it.

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2009, 08:42:54 PM »
very cool,

think it would even pass our laws as long as it was bolted down,    and we can not store the ammo in it as well as the firearms,  ( needs to be locked separately )

I will post a photo of my safe soon

the style I have is an Aussie design    http://lokaway.net/

I don't think they are making them any more however we can get them branded as  Winchester Safes

Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2009, 09:14:19 PM »
I like that locking mechanism. It seems simpler and better than moving pins.  Bill T.

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 11:47:55 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2009, 08:50:27 AM »

It looks a little less conspicuous covered.  Bill T.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2009, 09:16:22 AM »
Me thinks I am going to get one of these and put it in our "Sitting room".
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2009, 01:38:50 PM »
Looking good Bill.
I'm always looking for alternatives for gun storage and also ways to secure them in plain site.  If someone doesn't know what's there, it's hard for them to mess with it.  The storage box with the throw doesn't scream "guns".  During a random break in the perps would most likely find easier, out in the open items to steal or check more common "hidding" places first like dresser drawers, etc.  If it's a longer breakin or someone is targeting your guns and know they're there somewhere, it's a different story.  Virtually any home security measure can be defeated givin enough time.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2009, 01:53:42 PM »
Another thing I like about it compared to my other safes is the fact it isn't easy to tip over. A lot of people talk about anchoring a safe to the floor. The biggest problem with that is a lot of homes that are built on concrete slabs have plumbing pipe running through them. The homeowner doesn't know where these pipes are located. Drilling into the slab to secure anchor bolts without knowing the exact location of these pipes is extremely dangerous. If you were to hit a water pipe you would have a monumental disaster on your hands that would be expensive to clean up and repair! I don't even want to think about hitting a gas pipe with an electric drill!

A free standing gun safe is an open target for kids / vandals who break in. For many what they can't steal they would like nothing better to destroy. It wouldn't take much for 2 people to push a gun safe over on to it's side. Doing so would severely damage the guns inside it. With the chest type "safes" this is all but impossible.   Bill T.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2009, 12:02:49 PM »
That turned out really well, Bill.....looks good.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk