Author Topic: I purchased a non typical Rifle  (Read 4610 times)

Swamp Yankee

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I purchased a non typical Rifle
« on: March 19, 2008, 06:54:49 PM »
I know I asked for your opinions and all advise was taken. But I digress. I recently purchased a Kel-Tec SU-16B I have made one trip to the range with it thus far. I am very impressed with this firearm. Though it took a while to figure it out, I was able to get it sighted to my satisfaction. At 100 yard offhand I was able to place 60 rounds on paper using an NRA Small Bore Target with open sights with a 6 o'clock hold on the black of the bullseye. To put this in perspective all shots total no greater than 6 inches for 60 rounds fired in three shot bursts. I will agree that there is room for improvement in the construction of this firearm. But for the price this does what it is intended to do. No you can't butt-stroke someone with it. But I don't want to get that close. I put three hundred rounds of ammo through this gun in two hours on Saturday with out a single malfunction. I fired Wolf,Federal and Remington. At 50 yards I actually shot a three round group that was a perfect cloverleaf with federal American Eagle 55gr FMJ. This gun points quickly and returns quickly with minimal recoil. Cleaning and maintenance is not difficult, it may be easier than the AR once you get the assembly down. No special tools are required for take down it can be done with a cartridge. It uses an AR extractor and takes AR  mags,  it has an AR front sight post. Which are readily available. It is chambered for the 5.56 cartridge. To be honest the rear sight sucks but is functional. I tried an AR  type rear on it and was shooting 36 inches high at 100 yards with the front sight post backed out all the way and the rear at its lowest setting. I will end up gettin some kind of scope for it though I do not want a red dot or any kind of sight that would require a battery. I am thinking of something tactical with 2X magnification which would be good out to 300 yards or better. No need for going further this is not for sniping. I may still get an H-Bar for long range shooting  just based on parts availability for the AR platform.  Please do not overlook this firearm when concidering your next purchase. I do not work for or represent Kel-tec so my opinions are not biased. My main goal was to look for something that was functional and practical in a variety of situations.  I have found it in this firearm.

Mike Mc
NRA Certified Instructor, Rifle, Pistol & Shotgun

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: I purchased a non typical Rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 07:05:13 PM »
Good report.

What is the rear sight, peep or notched V? 

Nice that you tried some of the cheap ammo and know that it works.  Sounds like it will run on anything!

Accuracy seems pretty good to me but I don't know how well you usually shoot.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 07:49:43 PM »
As for the sighting system, I recently purchased a used Trijicon reflex I put on my lever action Marlin, and I like it. NO batteries, always on, if you get used to the Binden aiming concept, you can use it at night and anything you can see, with both eyes open. Now I also have the aimpoint comp ml 2, with the 10,000 hour battery replacement, leave it on all year and change the battery on your birthday. The latest ones will go 50,000 hours for a battery change. They are  rugged.

Thanks for the report.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 08:30:50 PM »
Well Im suprised, but what ever floats your boat. Good luck , sounds like you will both be happy.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 01:40:16 AM »
No battery sight, Any one here remember the "Weaver quick point" it had a red wire in an acrylic rod, I'm pretty sure it was the first "RED DOT" sight.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:01:14 PM »

Swamp Yankee

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 06:26:33 AM »
Haz
 The rear is a peep that is blued and uses counter screws to adjust it. It has a little bit of a hood on it but because of the bluing you get some glare.
NRA Certified Instructor, Rifle, Pistol & Shotgun

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 07:21:00 AM »
Haz
 The rear is a peep that is blued and uses counter screws to adjust it. It has a little bit of a hood on it but because of the bluing you get some glare.

Sounds similar to the peep on my lever gun.  Could you dull the bluing some how to reduce the glare?
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 07:03:46 PM »
Stick a toothpick in the aperture and give it a shot of matte black paint. ;)
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

AR 15 Rep

• Forum Member
  • Quality M-16 and AR-15, Mil spec parts, U.S. mfg.
    • M-16 Parts.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 10:41:56 AM »
Second that advice from M25, and if you want the peep a little smaller don't use the toothpick and give it a quick mist over the sight.

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 07:59:35 PM »
Good review Swamp Yankee.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk