Author Topic: Muzzle BREAKS & other things you can't stand  (Read 11158 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
Re: Muzzle BREAKS & other things you can't stand
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2018, 04:57:09 PM »
I don't say anything when I'm watching all the stupidity, but if someone else does I'll join in. IIRC in one of the Lethal Weapon movies someone had armor piercing 9mm ammo, with bullets that passed completely through the blade of a bulldozer. It's hard not to comment on things like that.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Timothy

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 05:11:11 PM »
I don't say anything when I'm watching all the stupidity, but if someone else does I'll join in. IIRC in one of the Lethal Weapon movies someone had armor piercing 9mm ammo, with bullets that passed completely through the blade of a bulldozer. It's hard not to comment on things like that.

Those were armor piercing, Frank!  Wassamatterwitcha?

I think it was the third one with Renee Russo.

I lost interest in that series early, the last one was just stupid, actually, they were all pretty stupid!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2018, 06:34:12 PM »
Those were armor piercing, Frank!  Wassamatterwitcha?

I think it was the third one with Renee Russo.

I lost interest in that series early, the last one was just stupid, actually, they were all pretty stupid!

But bulldozers aren't made of armor. It should have stopped the bullets.  ;)  They were kinda stupid and definitely not pro-gun, but it's Hollyweird, so what do you expect?
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2018, 10:01:14 PM »
I started watching a video and it had captions instead or narration, so there was no mistaking what it said. It started out saying this robot could diffuse bombs. That would mean it can spread them out or scatter them around, etc. They were too stupid to say it can defuse bombs (de meaning remove and fuse obviously meaning fuse). So instead bombs being dismantled and made harmless, they can be strewn about the place by a robot. I shut it off and didn't watch any more.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2018, 09:08:03 PM »
More non gun-related pet peeves, but none worth starting a new thread for.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got a letter today from our illustrious mayor, the esteemed Dr. Karen Weaver. When I saw it I thought, "What does she want?" She wanted to give everyone a "Thank You", with Thank You being in quotation marks. I can imagine her standing at the podium making air quotes with her fingers. I would have simply said that I wanted to thank everybody, not give them a thank you, and I certainly wouldn't quoted no one when I said it. There's a website that has 10 Things You Really Need to Know about Quotation Marks. Here are the first 3.

#1: Quotation Marks Are for Quoting People—Verbatim.
#2: Quotation Marks Are Not a Highlighting Technique.
#3: Quotation Marks Can Communicate Sarcasm and Irony.

The other 7 things are less pertinent. Say it like you really mean it Ma'am. She holds a bachelor's degree from Tougaloo College, a master's degree from Long Island University, and a doctorate in clinical psychology from Michigan State University. Somehow she "earned" a B.A., M.A, and Psy.D without learning any of those rules. I know there's a difference between educated and smart, but I'm only a graduate of a crappy public high school and know them. The good doctor should too.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got another letter today, from a credit union telling me about the 30,000 plus "ATM Machines", or whatever the number was, that I could use at no charge. Anyone running a financial istitution should know that ATM is an abbreviation for Automated Teller Machine. ATM Machines would mean Automated Teller Machine Machines. Get it right, people.
And people are still referring to water heaters as hot water heaters, as if they're being used to heat hot water, not cold water. If it was hot water you wouldn't likely need to heat it even more with a water heater. I know that places like hotels and apartment complexes can use several water heaters at the same time, but I never heard of multiple water heaters being used in series, where the first one heats cold water and the following water heater(s) heat the hot water that came from the previous water heater. And if they did need a hot water heater to heat the water from another water heater, what are they going to do with super-heated water? Take 240 degree showers? I've been known to take hot showers, but I'd like to know who like their showers hotter than Hades.

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 06:59:55 PM »

BAC

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2018, 12:11:01 AM »
I see your "ATM machine" and raise you a:
PIN number (Personal Identification Number number)
VIN number (Vehicle Identification Number number)
SAM missile (Surface to Air Missile missile)
and LCD display (Liquid Crystal Display display).

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2018, 06:52:32 AM »
Take 240 degree showers? I've been known to take hot showers, but I'd like to know who like their showers hotter than Hades.

Water turns to steam above 212 degrees F at sea level.  You need pressure to get hotter than that--it's why a pressure cooker cooks a pork roast in 30 minutes. 

If your examples are taking 240 degree showers, they are pressure steaming the skin right off themselves. 

There is a pressure/temperature gradient that indicates how much temperature is increased with each pound of pressure, but I am unable to bring it to mind at the moment, and too lazy to research it.

Still, your point about hot water heaters is certainly valid.

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2018, 10:14:43 AM »
I always use the term Water Heater, but they do in fact heat hot water. 

Since they maintain a fixed temperature and do not let the water cool to being cold water, they do heat the already hot water back up to the set maintain temp.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2018, 11:54:37 AM »
But, since there is no defined temperature for water to be deemed as hot (temperature is subjective) then it is still just a water heater.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2018, 12:01:46 PM »
Maybe Cold Water Heater would work for everyone?    ;) ;) ;)
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk