Author Topic: 1911 magazine question  (Read 5010 times)

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1911 magazine question
« on: August 15, 2011, 09:50:48 PM »
I have a couple of Colts, both series 80.  One is a full size government model, the other is a lightweight Commander.  The previous time I had these out I had trouble with both of them with some failures to eject and feed a new round.  The magazines I was using then I think had been around awhile as they came with the Commander that I got from a retired LEO.  I was also shooting a bunch of commercial reloads that came with it.

This time I was using cheap Federal loads and a new magazine, I think it was a McCormick shooting star magazine.  It held 8 rounds and funtioned fine in the full size Government model with 8 rounds.  In the Commander it didn't seem to want to seat completly with 8 rounds.  It stuck out about 1/8 inch and when I tried to seat it flush it felt spring loaded and would pop back out that 1/8 inch or so.  With 7 rounds it seated flush and functioned flawlessly.

I have not shot either one of these very much.  I thought they would take the same magazines and that you could use 8 round magazines in either one of them.  Am I wrong, and even though an 8 round magazine will fit in the Commander, will it only funtion properly with 7 rounds in it?  Thanks.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

tombogan03884

Re: 1911 magazine question
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 10:02:31 PM »
I don't know about the Commander, But my full size RIA works fine with the Shooting Star mags and 8 rounds.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 10:12:56 PM »
As far as I know, Gov't Models and Commander Models use the same mags (same frame size).
Check the notches where the mag catch holds them to see if one is worn. I had an old mag that wouldn't stay in and the area around the cut-out for the catch was actually dented in where I guess it had been dropped just right.

Of the Colt's, the Officer's Model (and the Defender also ?) is supposed to be the only size frame that uses a shorter mag, but I have read that even a Gov't standard mag will work in an Officer's Model but will hang out the bottom of the frame.

**I also have a coupe of 10-round Shooting Star mags and they will not feed the first two rounds if fully loaded. I can only use them if they are down-loaded to eight rounds.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

david86440

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 10:20:36 PM »
Posted by: blackwolfe

"Am I wrong, and even though an 8 round magazine will fit in the Commander, will it only funtion properly with 7 rounds in it?  Thanks."

What you are describing is normal if you are inserting the mag with the slide closed. It does take more effort with 7 vs 8 rounds but it should seat if you slam it in.

I have a Commander and I use 8 rd mags.

Have you tried putting the loaded mag in with the slide locked open?  It should slide in and lock easily.

You need to really hammer it home.

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 05:57:23 PM »
Posted by: blackwolfe

"Am I wrong, and even though an 8 round magazine will fit in the Commander, will it only funtion properly with 7 rounds in it?  Thanks."

What you are describing is normal if you are inserting the mag with the slide closed. It does take more effort with 7 vs 8 rounds but it should seat if you slam it in.

I have a Commander and I use 8 rd mags.

Have you tried putting the loaded mag in with the slide locked open?  It should slide in and lock easily.

You need to really hammer it home.

The slide was closed.  I'll have to try it again when I can get to the range, whenever that will be.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:47:41 AM »

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 07:58:58 PM »
Inserting the mag with the slide back should work out OK but, if you drop the mag and top it off re-inserting is still going to be a problem.  I have never had this problem with any 8 rounder in any normal grip length 1911 or 10 rounders in 38 super 1911.  If you have to download your 8 rounders to 7 rounds to make them work, so be it.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 06:42:37 PM »
Wilson Combat P47D's.....8rd. .350 seat. should help...
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

robheath

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 08:29:29 PM »
I use Chip McCormick 8 round shooting star and 10 round Powermags.  I love the McCormick mags and I've never had a problem with any of them.  I clean them seldom and even with steel followers they seem to feed. I did have a bad mag release one time and that caused the same as you described.
Give me liberty or I'll get my guns and get it myself.

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 01:47:02 PM »
Do not overlook that some pistols do not like some mags.  There are a lot of follower designs and timing changes of when the cartridge gets release, and what angle, out there.  I have an SA that detests the Wilson 47D's, but it works fine in all others.  I finally found that the CMC Power Mags will work in all of the ones that I have.  I still have specific mags for each 1911, though I am slowly changing that.

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 08:05:52 PM »
As far as fitting the well and locking in place a 1911 mag is a 1911 mag is a 1911 mag.  My Gov. model mags fit all size 1911's.

The question as to how they feed is another thing.  In theory a quality mag like a Wilson Combat, Kimber, Colt or other top shelf magazine should work just fine.  However, we all know that isn't always so, and it is the reason we number our magazines and keep note books on guns.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk