Author Topic: 1911 Info  (Read 30568 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
1911 Info
« on: November 01, 2008, 07:57:29 PM »
For those that like to tinker with their 1911's or those who may have wondered about upgrading parts, here is a several part article on the Brownells web bench that I thought had some interesting information with cutaway views.

Part 1:  http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?p=0&t=1&i=879

Part 2:  http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?p=0&t=1&i=965

Part 3:  http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?p=0&t=1&i=1238&mc_ID=2017

Part 4:  http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?p=0&t=1&i=1291&mc_ID=2018

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

bryand71

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 1911 Info
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 02:53:48 PM »
Good articles, did all those upgrades to mine as well. Only difference was I had another gunsmith install my sights. I had to have a dovetail cut into the front of the slide for the new sight.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1112
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 11:48:30 PM »
I did a most of those mods too and had a few done for me. I want to get an extended thumb safety but wonder if I should install it myself or not. It doesn't look too hard, but that's one of those things I never learned to do. G.I. parts were drop-in fit so we didn't have to worry about filing off too much.

P.S. Brownells monthy email is a great resource.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

bryand71

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 12:17:27 AM »
The tactical thumb safety is very simple, I find it helps to use a very small diameter punch to hold the plunger and spring assembly in place when installing the safety. Once you figure it out, its a breeze.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1112
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 12:41:37 AM »
The tactical thumb safety is very simple, I find it helps to use a very small diameter punch to hold the plunger and spring assembly in place when installing the safety. Once you figure it out, its a breeze.

I use a tiny screwdriver that fits the magazine catch lock to hold the plunger in. That's not the hard part. I just don't want to screw up the hand fitting. One file I bought from Brownells takes off a lot of material even though it's so fine it looks like it's not doing anything. The only time I used it I wrecked a Contender rear sight by widening the notch too much. Before I did that it was so narrow I couldn't get a proper sight picture so I had to widen the notch or narrow the front sight. BTW, sights made for a 14" barrel don't work so well on a 9" barrel because the notch is a lot narrower than the blade. I have another sight and I'm going to try it again but I keep putting it off. I think I'll be okay fixing that, and hand fitting the 1911 safety, if I just file a few strokes at a time.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:37:23 PM »

bryand71

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 10:53:51 AM »
That is probably the biggest mistake people make when filing parts, they don't check their progress often enough. If I am working on something with very tight tolerances, I make one or two passes with the file and then check the fit. That way I don't remove too much material. Another thing you can do to help is use a dye on the part and only remove the dye and recheck the fit. The safety I have didn't require much fitting. I guess I got lucky with mine.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 11:43:11 AM »
Isn't it MB that stated on a show once that he shouldn't be allowed to own a Dremmel?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 11:43:48 AM »
Smartest thing I ever did was to realize I had no freeking idea what I was doing and let someone who did, do it for me!!!!!  Cost less and had more to spend on guns and stuff!

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

TSB

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 01:58:17 PM »
The parts I've bought from Wilson Combat for my Para have been drop in and needed no fitting.  Extended slide stop/release and extended safety work like a charm.  I would have to do a little more homework to replace a sear, trigger assembly or any other internals but so far, no problems.  The sell both drop in and parts that may need fitting plus, there are no shipping charges for their parts.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 04:13:14 PM »
It is also a good reading info for working knowledge on how the 1911 is put together (for those who have never ventured into taking one apart).
I think one of the articles has measurements for for some of the critical parts (good for measuring when doing safety checks after detail stripping).
I like to read as much as I can on anything having to do with the 1911.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk