Author Topic: Witness Statements  (Read 18678 times)

tt11758

• Noolis bastardis carborundum (Don't let the bastards wear you down)
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger ~
    • 10-Ring Firearms Training
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Witness Statements
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2009, 01:01:21 PM »
As long as you put your Mexican heritage in front of your American citizenship you will never be an American.  I have Irish and German heritage but I do not call myself Irish-American or German-American or even European-Ameircan.  I call myself an American.  Notice I didn't say 'just' American cause in my thinking being Ameican isn't a 'just', it is very special.  Untill you can think without the hyphen you will never be a true American."

Thanks Haz, that was the point I was trying to make, just not nearly so eloquently as you did.
I love waking up every morning knowing that Donald Trump is President!!

tumblebug

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2009, 01:47:31 PM »
                                                    K R A C K E R S

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2009, 01:52:20 PM »
                                                    K R A C K E R S
And once more in English, or even Spanish?
FQ13

lettyinreno

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2009, 02:11:44 PM »
Guelletas :-X

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2009, 02:25:26 PM »
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 02:26:50 PM »

True_Texan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2009, 03:56:10 PM »
                                                    K R A C K E R S

Club or Ritz?
"Before giving someone a piece of your mind, be sure you have enough to spare."

tt11758

• Noolis bastardis carborundum (Don't let the bastards wear you down)
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger ~
    • 10-Ring Firearms Training
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2009, 05:23:12 PM »
Club or Ritz?

Doesn't matter much.  Either one would go well with the cheese whiz we keep over in the corner.       ;D
I love waking up every morning knowing that Donald Trump is President!!

brosometal

• Top Forum Member
  • Still a Grade A 1 smart donkey! DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2009, 09:56:18 PM »
I'm not sure how most feel... Just kidding.   ::)

I'm torn on the Immigration issue.  I have the opportunity to work with several different Spanish speaking folks (read laborers like stated above).  They are all hard working folks.  To be honest, they are the more reliable people I deal with.

I also believe that "American" is a mind set and not anything else.  Everyone in this great country either relocated here or had relatives do the same.  They moved to a land of opportunity and (fading) freedom:  someone, somewhere thought that there had to be a better way (here's Reagan's city on a hill again).  To put it in simple terms, America is Freedom.  To fully participate in that freedom, one must be able to speak the language of success which happens to be English, here, in the United States.  This does not preclude someone from using their native tongue when applicable. 

I shy away from an official language declaration, but I also think to operate as a citizen (read: voter) one must be able to understand the language of the documents that guarantee the freedoms accorded by this country.  Without that understanding one would be voting without complete knowledge and easily swayed by demagogues.

Illegal immigration is not frowned upon (at least by me) because of the desire to be free.  But is that the real reason of most illegal immigration?  Emergency rooms in the Southern border states beg to differ.  The easiest way for me to explain it is this:  I'm having a party at my house.  Everyone is invited to eat and drink as much as they have the ability to.  The only thing that I ask is that you use the entrances provided.  The minute you break down a wall or shatter a window, you have forfeited you invitation.  It is a simple matter of Respect. 

The person who has nothing for which his is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
- J.S. Mill

deepwater

• SNIPE
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2009, 10:02:10 PM »
The easiest way for me to explain it is this:  I'm having a party at my house.  Everyone is invited to eat and drink as much as they have the ability to.  The only thing that I ask is that you use the entrances provided.  The minute you break down a wall or shatter a window, you have forfeited you invitation.  It is a simple matter of Respect. 

+100  :D
YOU CAN TEACH A MONKEY HOW TO RIDE A BICYCLE: BUT YOU CAN'T TEACH HIM HOW TO FIX IT!!

tombogan03884

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2009, 04:19:17 PM »
Hate to disagree with you Desert Marine because we Jarheads should stick together, But this IS NOT, and was NEVER INTENDED to be a "diverse" country It was founded by English subjects for Americans, as an English speaking country, and for the first 190 + years all public business was conducted in English, I understand what you mean about first generation immigrants having difficulty with language and customs, thats to be expected, I'd have a rough time learning a new language as well, but of the European immigrants the SECOND generation always assimilated, Look at Russian Jews like Meyer Lansky.
But my main argument is that the root of "diverse" is "divide", and we all know what lincoln said about that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk