Author Topic: Decocker Safety  (Read 21138 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Decocker Safety
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 09:37:34 PM »
...and to add to Tom's comment, was it you who bemoaned the 'pulling the trigger' disassembly procedure on Glocks, XDs etc?  ???

thats firing the gun in the normal manor.  

Tom there is a company that makes thin gun cases that are basicly bullet proof vests.  The name escapes me right now.  I've been thinking about buying one for when I travel.

edit, found it

http://safedirection.com/

in the coasties we had to load up and make safe into a containment barrel, but that was do to idiots that could not keep thier finger off triger.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 09:46:15 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one with the willies!

I have a Beretta 9000 with a decocker.  I like being able to carry loaded in double action mode, but dropping the hammer on a loaded chamber feels just plain wrong.  I don't care if it has never gone bang, and people all over the world are doing it with out an issue, and that I have the gun pointed in a safe direction, etc.  It just doesn't feel right.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

TexGun

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 09:57:10 PM »
For what it's worth, i had a Ruger P89 with a de-cocker that VIOLENTLY dropped the hammer.  It sounded like pulling the trigger without a round in the chamber.  Never couled get comfortable with it.  On the other hand, my sig 229's de-cocker has more of the feel of lowering the hammer rather than dropping it (if that makes any sense).  I have no issues in using the de-cocker on the sig.

-G

Texas_Bryan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 10:09:08 PM »
For what it's worth, i had a Ruger P89 with a de-cocker that VIOLENTLY dropped the hammer.  It sounded like pulling the trigger without a round in the chamber.  Never couled get comfortable with it.  On the other hand, my sig 229's de-cocker has more of the feel of lowering the hammer rather than dropping it (if that makes any sense).  I have no issues in using the de-cocker on the sig.

-G

I know what you mean, my little bro's Taurus PT92's decock feels like a trigger pull.  And most Sigs are smooth, mine's a little rough, its a fifteen years old that needs a new spring kit, but I still trust it.  Just cant shake that feeling, I suppose it comes from the years of rifles and shot guns.  I just don't like the idea of using the decocker a couple times a week if its going to be a second trigger, the one the factory intended is enough for me. ;D

Kilroy

• Active Forum Member
  • JAFMP
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 11:05:39 PM »
The Sig de-cock design is quite safe and efficient.  It does "lower" the hammer.  And since your finger is not on the trigger, it cannot circumvent the firing pin safety.

It is actually less safe to lower the hammer manually.  It has the potential for creating a pistol that fires when dropped.  It is also very important to insure that the hammer return spring remains strong and be replaced when a check reveals it becoming weak.  This seems to be most common in the 220 series, but overall is rarely seen or understood.

It is a moot point when you rely on the de-cock lever only, to lower the hammer.
Kilroy...

...was here.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 01:57:31 PM »

seeker_two

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2009, 07:40:00 AM »
I've never felt comfortable using a decocker and letting the hammer fall freely. I'll use the decocker to free the hammer and lower it slowly with my thumb & index finger pinching it...just like I'd lower a SA pistol's hammer...
Why, yes....I'm the right-wing extremist Obama warned you about... ;D

I just wish Texas was as free and independent as everyone thinks it is...   :'(

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 01:07:19 PM »
Had a Walther P1, Ruger P90 and Ruger P85MKII and never had the decocker fail. I'd trust the decocker. But keep it pointed in a safe direction because machines that we trust can and do fail now and then.
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

JSC3ATLCSO

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 04:07:51 PM »
I have 2 Walther P99's one in the AS trigger group and the other in the QA trigger group.  Both have decockers and both get used.  I do point in a safe direction when decocking though.  Just in case.  I think that is just good gun safety no matter what.  I have taken down the gun and inspected how the decock and striker works and it seems very simple and safe on the Walthers.  Don't know about other guns. 

pequin06

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2009, 04:36:45 PM »
I've owned a Ruger P95DC. I've never had a problem with it and would feel safe using it.
Of course I always did and always will point a loaded weapon in a safe direction no matter what dodad is installed for safety.

bushpilot267

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 04:56:22 PM »
ANOTHER piece of stuff on your pistol which is (1) not needed and (2) put there by the great minds of the 15th century and military.

On Sigs it is not needed and is not a safety since the SIG desing has a steel bar which covers the fireing pin from being struck unless the trigger is pulled back to a certain point.

The decocker is easily removed and does not interfere with the operation of the SIG indeed, it removes junk from the pistol.

Many think the loss of the decocker is a deadly sin and that lowering the hammer with your thumb on it is deadly. See the Colt 1911. That is the only way to relieve the cocked hammer and has been done for ages.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk