Author Topic: Decocker Safety  (Read 21137 times)

SigShooter

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Decocker Safety
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 05:18:42 PM »
Just a thought:

In the days of lawyer-approved guns and a fair share of product safety recalls, would a company design a decocking mechanism that does not work as described in the owner's manual?  ::)

Personally, I believe in decockers, but only in properly functioning firearms. If the gun looks like it needs a new spring or part, I wouldn't trust it.
From my cold dead hands...to my next of kin to further our rights.

Never to the government. They can buy their own.

Dharmaeye

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 05:50:37 PM »
Have a P97 with decocker safety - spring loaded. Yes it has a violent hammer decock so I put my thumb on it to slow it down. Has more to the violent action that bothers me. Having examined the action I know it is safe to do so as the gun is build like a brick. Eats everything. Perfect reliability and a very effective, unbreakable as a pistol wipper.

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 06:58:25 PM »
I have to agree with Kilroy. The only approved way of safeing a M-11 (Sig 228) was to decock. Lowering the hammer did not engage one of the safeties. Jeff Cooper was wrong on that according to the folks at Sig.

I believe that there is more involved to changing a DA/SA Sig to a DAK trigger than just removing the decocker.  It does make a simpler pistol and with less moving parts it should be more reliable. Should ;D

I started with Sigs so decocking was no big deal.  Now I would not buy a pistol with a manual decocker.

Was it ever the correct to lower a hammer on a 1911 with a round in the chamber?

Timothy

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 07:13:09 PM »
Was it ever the correct to lower a hammer on a 1911 with a round in the chamber?

Absolutely never on a pre series 80 mechanism and I would never do it on any 1911 of any vintage.  Really dangerous to carry a 1911 in that condition IMO.  Others may disagree.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2009, 07:39:10 PM »
Absolutely never on a pre series 80 mechanism and I would never do it on any 1911 of any vintage.  Really dangerous to carry a 1911 in that condition IMO.  Others may disagree.

Actually it was.  it was designed so it could be carried that way.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 09:53:50 AM »

Timothy

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2009, 08:08:25 PM »
http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/ad_tb.htm

"My brother recently acquired a Colt Commander.  He had put a Federal hollowpoint in the chamber and lowered the hammer (condition #2). He was holstering the pistol with the hammer down. This was a holster with a thumb break. As he attempted to adjust the pistol in order to snap the thumb break closed, the pistol discharged. The round traveled into his upper right butt cheek and out the bottom, about 6 inches below his butt cheek. The round didn't expand and fell to the floor under the weight of gravity alone. He is fine now but the AD [accidental discharge] perplexed us a lot until we figured that the hammer was resting on the firing pin, and the soft primer Federal hollowpoint round and the hard "snap" of the new holster hit the hammer hard enough to touch off a round. Fixing the issue is to simply not chamber a round, period."

Form your own opinion.....

TAB, prove your statement.....

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 11:39:34 PM »
A 1911 is just like a single action revolver with the hammer down - EMPTY CHAMBER ONLY !!!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2009, 11:57:29 PM »
A 1911 is just like a single action revolver with the hammer down - EMPTY CHAMBER ONLY !!!

Exactly...once the hammer is down, none of the safeties are functional (unless a firing pin block exists on some models).
All the safety mechanisms for the 1911 were designed to work with the hammer cocked.
The manual safety and the grip safety block the rearward travel of the sear and trigger, respectively, thus preventing the hammer from falling if cocked.
Once the hammer is down on a loaded chamber, on Series 70's and earlier and clones, the hammer then rests on the firing pin and inertia along with firing spring pressure are all that prevents primer strikes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgBU5q5Cey0

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 12:50:26 AM »
There was a long thread about hammer down on a 1911 on THR,  while yes you can do it, and it is relativly safe, its not very smart.

I'd also like to point out, that a 1911 is very safe with out the safety engaged. 2 things must happen for it to go bang, which is not the case for most "new"  semi autos.  those it only takes 1 thing.  Now I don't recomend carrying like that, but it still does not change the fact that it is safer then say a glock.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Timothy

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 07:12:00 AM »

Actually it was.  it was designed so it could be carried that way.

Please provide proof of this statement.  All I'm hearing are crickets.....Nothing! 

Substantiate the statement or don't make comments that would lead someone into carrying a pistol in a unsafe manner.  It's not about ego, it's about safety!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk