Author Topic: Name your top 5 handguns and why...  (Read 23529 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Name your top 5 handguns and why...
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 12:10:42 AM »
1 1911( no I can't pick one of the 11) I own.
2 sw model 41
3 sw 627  8 shot 357
4  sw 610

I don't have anymore.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

LoveMyXds

• cogito ergo boom
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 12:26:05 AM »
#1. Colt M1911a1... my first centerfire handgun.. ate thousands of swc like candy...
#2 Ruger 22/45 with 6" Pac Lite Upper... Shot one once... Oh My God... Saving my pennies now that Xmas is over..
#3 Detonics Combat Master.... The first and arguably best mini 1911.. best concealed carry pistol I ever had... She saved my ass a couple of times when I was a repo man in the 80's.
#4. Colt Woodsman... The bane of all squirrels, chipmunks and crows when I was a lad...
#5 Springfield XDM. 40.... The Powder River Precision Match Trigger kit and some polishing of the internals and TruGlo TFO sights makes her my favorite all around gun yet...

To be continued......
Scott
"Stripping motivated people of their dignity and rubbing their noses in it is a very bad idea."

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 12:33:57 AM »
In no particular order:
Glock 26 ....Perfect for what it is for. I trust my life to this gun everyday, and it goes bang every time.
Ruger Blackhawk .357....A classic for a reason.
Browning Challenger....One of the prettiest and most accurate .22 pistols ever made. I sold mine but wish I hadn't.
Browning Hi-power... The finest S/A combat pistol made, all due respect to 1911s. This gun has clocked more holster time in more wars than I can count and is a pleasure to shoot.
Webley .177 caliber spring piston airgun.....450 FPS, single hole groups at 10 meters and enough oomph to take out a squirrel at that range. Again, I traded mine in and regret it, but I plan to fix that soon.
FQ13

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 12:38:33 AM »
In no particular order:
Glock 26 ....Perfect for what is for. I trust my life to this gun everyday, and it goes bang every time.
Ruger Blackhawk .357....A classic for a reason.
Browning Challenger....One of the prettiest and most accurate .22 pistols ever made. I sold mine but wish I hadn't.
Browning Hi-power... The finest S/A combat pistol made, all due respect to 1911s. This gun has clocked more holster time in more wars than I can count and is a pleasure to shoot.
Webley .177 caliber spring piston airgun.....450 FPS, single hole groups at 10 meters and enough oomph to take out a squirrel at that range. Again, I traded mine in and regret it, but I plan to fix that soon.
FQ13

"Holster Time" ain't necessarily how I'd judge a 'combat' pistol.
    ;)

And yes, FQ, I'm goofing with you.......... serious....but goofing.   :)
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 12:45:47 AM »
Goof all you want, but just like the AK and the FN, just because the US never adopted it doesn't mean we shouldn't have. It is a sweet, sweet gun and history backs me up here.
FQ13 ;)

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:36:01 PM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 12:48:05 AM »
Goof all you want, but just like the AK and the FN, just because the US never adopted it doesn't mean we shouldn't have. It is a sweet, sweet gun and history backs me up here.
FQ13 ;)

In all seriousness, if I ever own a 9mm handgun, it WILL be a Hi-Power. They are very comfortable guns and fit my hand well.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

ECHOONE

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2009, 01:50:03 AM »
  Being  Vet could be the reason of my love for the 1911, I can honestly say I have truly handled just about every other pistol,there are some really great handguns out there,and to each there own.Each of us has our own ways and different tactics/grips/sizes etc. But to me there just isn't a tactical platform that comes close to John Browns 1911!!
  You have heard it all before,no pistol has the trigger of a 1911,it fits ones hands so naturally,The natural controlled swipe of the safety as you come down on your intended target with the excellent SA trigger that gives you the accuracy along with the balance of it's steel frame and very limited and controlled recoil,not to mention it's reliability,What more could you ask for in a tactical pistol? Why do you think it's been around selling like crazy for over 75 years at an optimal price!

1) Government Model SA Mil-Spec,completely customized
2) SA 4 Operator with rail
3) S&W M40  Excellent BUG
buck for buck,you can't argue the point although there raising there prize now CZ is one hell of an accurate pistol right out of the box and pretty darn reliable for what you pay,they keep right up with any other manufacturer!Alot of our Spec op boys were trying to get there hands on CZ's in Irag due to there accuracy and reliability
 I know I only really picked 3 but I believe the 1911 platform to be the best for a tactical sidearm  and a snub revolver to be the best for a bug. That's my decision and I stick by it!

BigSaucy

• Active Forum Member
    • YouTube
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, 02:40:19 AM »
Funny, the Jennings J22 didn't make the list. ;)

S&W 686 6" - .357mag
Colt Lightweight Commander - 45acp
S&W 36 - .38spl
Glock 17 - 9mm
Ruger MkI Target - .22lr

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, 05:44:48 AM »

S&W M+P .40. At 25yds. Scary Accurate, eats all ammo, never an issue.

S&W Gold 1911 (semi-custom). Accurate, reliable, and it's a 1911 45ACP.

Uberti 45Colt. Extremely accurate, 225gr Winchester Silvertip JHP's work on werewolves and zombies.

FN9. Simple, accurate, reliable.

Interarms Amadeo Rossi .357SS. Magnum. Recoil is very light even with full power loads. POI is POA.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2009, 12:03:54 PM »
Well, this takes some serious thinking, and I may have to change my mind and repost different list later.... These are in no particular order, BTW.

1- The 1911 {I Also can't pick any particular one of the 4 in my house}. Does it need an explanation? Accurate, Fit the hand well, and it's a .45 ACP which I'm a huge fan of. Pick a handgun accessory, and you can put it or get it on a 1911. Also, it's always been a favorite of my dads. He first taught me to shoot with one of those Marksman BB/dart/pellet guns which is styled closely after a 1911.
2- My Sorely missed, Swear up and down my new year's resolution is to buy it back from the friend I sold it to, Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag. I've been known to shoot it better than most rifles, They're BEAUTIFUL to look at (NOBODY I know of would EVER dare to call a Stainless Ruger Redhawk Ugly.), and with the .44 Mag cartridge and its 7 &1/2 in Barrel, it's legal to hunt big game in any state that will allow handgun hunting. Also, you can kill any game on the North American Continent with it if you got the right load.
3- My New S&W 649. I've wanted one since I was 16; It has a shrouded hammer, which won't snag on the draw, yet unlike the hammerless revolvers, I can still cock to fire it Single action. It hides like a dream in the front pocket of my jeans, and no one knows I have it unless I show them {Or unless they already know me well}, and it's a .357 Magnum. I can use magnum loads OR .38 Special loads in it. One thing it's missing is Crimson Trace Lasergrips, Which I'm saving for.
4- My Glock 30. Lightweight, accurate, and holds 10+1 rounds of .45 ACP, which I'm a huge fan of. Also it's another gun that's easy to find accessories for. I chose it over the G21 because it can use G21 mags as well; also it's more concealable. I also like my G30, because it has a rail, so even though It's a compact pistol, I still can put a TLR-1 on it for Nightstand duty.
5- Choosing a 5th is hard......... BUT, I think I gotta go with my Magnum Research BFR in .45-70. The first reason is It is ALWAYS a crowd pleaser.  or letting a friend shWhether you're showing it to family at Thanksgiving or Christmas parties,oot it on your range trip, or just rattling the benches at the local Gun range, People's jaws drop when they see it, and the ground shakes when it goes off. Even though I can't hit all that well with it, I LOVE shooting it.* I also like he fact that you can take out any animal in the world with the cartridge it fires, given the right load, of course.

(*Remember to keep your arms fully extended when firing one.)

YEAH, I have honorable mentions too.......
My Ruger Mark II light target is just so accurate, that You can't hate it {Mine also has lasergrips.}; Untill the first 12 times you have to take it apart and put it back together of course. But once you've learned that you can't hate it.
A Glock 21 is a wonderful thing. the 23 was awesome to shoot. Pretty well any Glock, although I never did like the 36.
Ruger P-series are awesome, however bulky. First gun I ever concealed Carried was a Ruger P90. It wasn't till Is stopped carrying it and tried to carry it again later that I realized how bulky it was. It's Another astoundingly accurate gun. The P85MKII was no different either. Both Tack Drivers.
Any Single Action Revolver.
Walther P38/P1.
One I've never shot, but really want, is a Mare's Leg. Ya know, the Lever action pistols. I want one.
Always wanted a Colt 1917, and have kicked myself for not buying one of the last ones I saw for $450 at the Gun Show. {Shut Up... I was Broke...}
 I'll stop here for now........
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk