Author Topic: Snubby debate - advice needed  (Read 21787 times)

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Snubby debate - advice needed
« on: February 18, 2010, 05:04:11 PM »
I have decided to get a S&W snubby to replace my not so compact Subcompact H&K.  I have decided S&W is the way to go, but am debating whether or not it is worth the extra expense to get one in .357 or if .38+P is adequate.  I can easily handle a .357 but am concerned with such a small frame that if I miss on the first shot that I am a goner.  On the other hand, I like the knock down power of the .357 vs. .38.
Am I making too big of a deal out of the recoil issue cause adrenaline will overcome anything in the heat of battle?
Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Snubby debate - advice needed
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 05:44:51 PM »
Paraguy, you don't have to carry .357 in a .357 but the option to use .357 is to some a good thing.  There are many quality .38 +p loads out there to choose from with a speed strip/loader of .357 JIC.

JMHOFWIW

Richard

PS:  Being a Paraguy what is wrong with the Carry9?  Pretty small in itself.
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 05:59:32 PM »
Hey Paraguy,
I love the .357 rounds as well. My .02 cents with regard to a snubbie, is remember the application it was designed for: which is close quarters.

Yes we have all seen the posts of long range snubbie shooting, but that's at a gun range not a supermarket parking lot, or ATM, bedroom, when a critical threat is in your face, etc,... The recoil from my Taurus M85 .38 with Remington 125gr +P Golden Sabres is stout! Much more stout than standard .38 rounds. Which are pretty darn snappy, but all very manageable.

I fired some snub 357's, and it's a hand cannon for sure. If your comfortable with that, can follow up quickly, and even shoot one handed,weak handed, not traditional stances, than get the larger caliber, and practice, plus you can always put 38's in it and utilize the two calibers as needed.

Mine doubles as the desk side pistol for the wife who works from our home during the day.  Standard Winchester .38 SJHP's. She doesn't like the +P's...or the .357

I'd opt for the .357, you can still put +P .38's in it, which are just fine at SD distances, you would also have a great hiking/camping, small pistol with the option of 158 gr. .357 JHP's if desired.

Let us know

PS Paraguy with a S&W?  ;) Next thing you know you'll be talking about a G36. ;D

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Blaidd

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 06:01:23 PM »
I was looking into the same thing a while back and ended up finding a Taurus M85 Ti and love it. Granted it's only .38spc+p and it's not a S&W but I can unload it into a target in no time with hardly any muzzle rise (it's ported). It's also so small and light that it's a pleasure to carry and shoot. Personally, I can load up and down .38spc to do the job. Also if you can't quickly follow up your shots, what's the point?

texcaliber

• Top Forum Member
  • "My best friends are Smith & Wesson"
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 06:13:30 PM »
In the sub 2" barrel the 38+P will be with in 75-200fps. of the 357mag in my testing. This is not a lot of preformance gain for the negitives in cost, recoil, muzzle flash, noise report, recoil along with higher cost of gun ammo.

tex

P.S. the really light 357's can only shoot heavy 38's due to bullet walk from recoil. NO JOKE, more than one has returned to the shop because the cylinder jammed inoperable. Usually ending with a big loss in the investment of firearm toward trade of a compairable 38 airweight or airlight S&W. I hope this helps.
"All I need in life is Love and a .45!"

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:18:04 PM »

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 06:51:03 PM »
Paraguy, you don't have to carry .357 in a .357 but the option to use .357 is to some a good thing.  There are many quality .38 +p loads out there to choose from with a speed strip/loader of .357 JIC.

JMHOFWIW

Richard

PS:  Being a Paraguy what is wrong with the Carry9?  Pretty small in itself.

Would love the Para PDA, but at a $1k+ it is not an option.  I will tell you though, looking down at the .45 barrel you will de-escalate things quickly!  Like Glocks, but not enough to own one, I have other priorities ;-)
Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 07:37:30 PM »
Based of what you said I would go .357 if for no other reason, that it gives you options down the road. You never know when you may only be able to get .357 mag rounds. Don't limit your options if you can help it.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
"If you know your enemy is bringing a gun to the fight, bring 2..."
http://www.youtube.com/natetinstman  -
Save $10 on your NRA membership by going to http://garand4life.wordpress.com

warhawke

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 09:50:08 PM »
For myself I won't carry a revolver for personal defense (unless is running around the hills out here and then I would want a .44) but this is mostly due to living in Detroit for so long. Jackals, whether 2 legged or 4, tend to run in packs and if I need to start throwing hot lead biscuits I want to have a lot to throw. Your mileage varies of course so that is cool.

As to the .38 vs .357 issue, Some .38 +P or +P+ ammo can give you good hitting power without the huge blast and thump of straight .357 loads. In fact much of the power you are looking for is going to be lost in a snub barrel because much of that huge blast is powder that didn't burn in the barrel and is thus not adding to the velocity of the bullet. If I did carry a .38 I would get ammo is designed for use in a snubby or just use a standard .38 load before I used a .357 load.
"Una salus victus nullam sperare salutem"
(The one hope of the doomed is not to hope for safety)
Virgil

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 10:07:58 PM »
I'd go with the 38 for 2 reasons  (G4L has a good point about "ammo options" )
First one is cost, the 38 will probably be less expensive than the 357, (more $ for ammo )
Second, As has been mentioned, it's for close work, a robber has to be at least with in arms reach in order to take the stuff he expects you to hand him.
That defines your average EXPECTED range as 0 to 5 feet.
Use a quality defensive +P round and you should be fine.

tekoken

• "I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry
  • Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 11:00:58 PM »
I bought a S & W model 442 with no lock three weeks ago & it hasn't left my pocket. People that say a .38 special doesn't have enough stopping power must be some tough S.O.B's that are used to having grenades tossed at them!! Standard pressure rounds are pretty stout with a snubby  & +p rounds are a handful. I say get the .38, save a couple hundred bucks on the pistol & spend it on holsters & corbon dpx ammo. You'll be happy you did when you get that j frame to the range.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty, teeth and keystone under independence. The church, the plow, the prairie wagon and citizens' firearms are indelibly related. From the hour the pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurrences and tendencies prove that, to ensure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. Every corner of this land knows firearms, and more than 99 and 99/100 percent of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil influence. They deserve a place of honor with all that's good. When firearms go, all goes. We need them every hour." George Washington

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk