Author Topic: Snubby debate - advice needed  (Read 21785 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
Re: Snubby debate - advice needed
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 11:08:11 PM »
I bought a S & W model 442 with no lock three weeks ago & it hasn't left my pocket. People that say a .38 special doesn't have enough stopping power must be some tough S.O.B's that are used to having grenades tossed at them!! Standard pressure rounds are pretty stout with a snubby  & +p rounds are a handful. I say get the .38, save a couple hundred bucks on the pistol & spend it on holsters & corbon dpx ammo. You'll be happy you did when you get that j frame to the range.

+1

A little gun in the pocket is better than a big gun at home.

Also, most of the folks that say that the .38 spl "ain't enough gun" have never been shot with a .38 spl.... make 'em an offer and see where they stand then.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

texcaliber

• Top Forum Member
  • "My best friends are Smith & Wesson"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 08:47:05 AM »
Great gun tekoken, I have the 642 with the dreaded lock. I have a couple thousand rounds through it without incident.

On another note, as for the ammo, during testing I have found that regular heavy weight Corbon+P penetrates deeper, while still expanding well, over the DPX in most medias. With J-frames, the lack of this is the main concern for Personal Defense.  Also for the overall comparison of rounds, the Rem. Golden Saber is my choice for my handguns...except 357sig. In the 357sig the Corbon won overall with a narrow second place to Golddot.

If you chose a quality round from any of the Main manufactures you will be good to go. Just make sure you can dot an eye.  ;)

tex
"All I need in life is Love and a .45!"

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 09:41:07 AM »
I have a .38 snubby and never feel it's not enough gun. As others have said, with the right +P loads it will do the job!!

Let us know what you end up getting.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 10:27:04 AM »
I have been using these in mine and the Missus. Model 642's after a recommendation  from Tom Givens.
I have shot some wet phone books for what thats worth and they seem to work as described. Much less flash than from the Corbon loads.  From their website

Buffalo Bore Ammunition

Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Ammo - 158 gr. Soft Lead SWC-HC (850fps/M.E. 253 ft. lbs.) - 20 Round Box

Due to customer demand, we've developed this defensive 38SPL ammo. Our customers wanted some devastating 38SPL loads that would fill the following criteria.

1. It won't hurt older/fragile/alloy revolvers. (Non +P)
2. Is effective as a "fight stopper" through the use of proper bullets.
3. Is more powerful than typical/standard, weak 38SPL ammo.
4. Generate much less recoil than our +P 38SPL ammo.
5. Is flash suppressed.

Buffalo Bore is introducing these three different heavy, yet standard pressure loadings for 38 SPL. These offerings are loaded at standard pressure, but they are much more powerful than normal 38SPL ammo. These loads will not harm older more fragile revolvers. So, these loads are safe for use in ANY 38 SPL revolver, provided it is in normal working condition. As stated above, the "POWER" level of these loads is really closer to a typical +P power level, but the pressure is standard. We are able to develop these powerful standard pressure loads with modern non-canister powders. Again, these loads recoil far less than our +P 38 SPL ammo.

All three of these loads are flash suppressed, so firing them in the dark wont blind you. We use flash suppressed powder in our defensive ammo, in the loadings we can, because over 90% of all civilian shootings in America, occur in low light, when the criminal element is at work. We don't want you blinded by your own gunfire after the first shot.

Item 20C utilizes the same 158gr. very soft lead cast, SWC-HC gas checked bullet, we load in our +P 38 SPL ammo. It is designed to expand and then penetrate quite deep. (Approx. 14 inches in human tissue) This bullet is gas checked and will NOT lead your barrel. Note the below velocities that I recorded out of my personal revolvers- NOT TEST BARRELS!

1. S&W mod. 60, 2 inch barrel - 854 fps (256 ft. lbs.)
2. S&W mod. 66, 2.5 inch barrel - 871 fps (266 ft. lbs.)
3. Ruger SP101, 3 inch barrel - 930 fps (303 ft. lbs.)
4. S&W Mt. Gun, 4 inch barrel - 979 fps (336 ft. lbs.)

I still like Corbons DPX .

Couzin

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 11:14:57 AM »
NG here - but I carry a S&W 360PD w/ CT grips and am quite comfortable with it.  I have loaded it with the Buffalo Bore low recoil, low flash, short barrel, tactical 158 gr and find the load more manageable that the 135 gr Speer.  I have carried all sorts of large frame polymer and 1911 style weapons previously - but I just like this little revolver a lot (especially as I get (a lot) older).  Yep - it is a hand smacker - but other than firing some of my defensive ammunition through the 360PD just so I know what to expect, then some heavy grain target ammunition for added practice.  I also use a steel short barrel revolver for extended range practice. The laser on the 360PD definately helps get back on target - but I practice also without the laser.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:18:03 AM »

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 02:02:32 PM »
Thank you everyone for all of the knowledge and experience you have shared!  I think I am going to say a prayer for a big tax return to get the S&W .357/.38+P and try the suggested rounds to see what works best for me.  I am guessing I will try the big bangers to make sure I am confortable with them and practice with the .38s at the range.  I will carry the .357 hoping to never use it, but knowing it is there JIC.
I liked the Taurus suggestion, might be a good backup (assuming Uncle Sam coughs up enough for both.)
Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

Timothy

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 06:30:41 PM »
FWIW...

I forget where, probably the "Snubby Files" but they mentioned the loss of velocity in a snub-nose using .357 mag, 125-130 grain loads is about 35 fps loss per inch of barrel length (average)...ie...about 70 fps loss going from a 4" barrel vs a 2" barrel.  If I remember correctly, the loss of velocity using .38 loads was substantially more than .357..

I carry a "Sherman Tank" Ruger snubby in .357 mag using GS 125 gr JHP.  I won't carry less but that's a personal decision and not meant to bash the .38's.  I've been thinking of a LCR for myself and +P would be my choice for that.

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 06:45:50 PM »
If you're going the snubby route, I recommend the S&W 649 or Ruger SP101. I like steel because it tames the recoil from a hot 38 load and from a .357 load too. They are heavier than other options but I think they are worth it if you're going to carry a snubby.

+1 on the Buffalo Bore ammo - that's the ammo I have (right now, in fact) in my S&W 649.

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 06:50:59 PM »
Any thoughts on carrying a snubbie on an empty chamber, is that necessary or are they mechanically sound enough to carry over a round?  Saw somewhere that there was debate on the subject and don't want to pull a Plaxico if you know what I mean.  I know enough not to try and catch a loaded gun that is dropped, but if it falls hammer down is there a danger of an AD (ND?)
Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

Timothy

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 06:54:07 PM »
Since Charter gave away the "transfer bar" technology years ago, most new guns have a transfer bar that requires a complete trigger press for the hammer to contact the firing pin.  I'm confident my Ruger will not fire under any circumstances unless I want it to.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk