Author Topic: Snubby debate - advice needed  (Read 21786 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Snubby debate - advice needed
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 08:13:27 PM »
My M85 Taurus, has an internal hammer, and the transfer bar. I carry with all 5 rds, no empty chambers. Similar to my pocket semi-auto, the trigger pull is long for a reason, as there is no external safety on either one.

Since Charter gave away the "transfer bar" technology years ago, most new guns have a transfer bar that requires a complete trigger press for the hammer to contact the firing pin.  I'm confident my Ruger will not fire under any circumstances unless I want it to.

+1

I see no problem in a modern revolver, to have a round in all chambers.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

bulldog75

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 09:50:24 PM »
Taurus is a fine choice, and so is charter arms, smith and wesson. Pick one and go with it. As for the 375 - 38 debate. Go with the 357 and use 38s when you want to. You are getting two guns in one. Chicks did the man cannon anyways. No it is not making up for something else.  ;D
Citizens sleep peacfully at night knowing that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell

CJS3

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2010, 09:26:37 AM »
I'd pick a .357 over the 38 just for the ability to use either ammo type. If 38spl is not available, you can go with .357, or vice versa. In a snubby, if using .357 Magnum, even if you miss, the muzzle blast and noise will scare the crap out of any assailant long enough for you to get away.  
Children, pets, and slaves are taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2010, 09:46:08 AM »
I'd pick a .357 over the 38 just for the ability to use either ammo type. If 38spl is not available, you can go with .357, or vice versa. In a snubby, if using .357 Magnum, even if you miss, the muzzle blast and noise will scare the crap out of any assailant long enough for you to get away.  
100% agree. I had a Bond derringer in .357 (one of my top 5 wish I'd never traded guns) and in a 2 3/4" barrel it was manageble. That said, I don't think I was buying a thing more than I would have gotten from +p .38s. Me, if it were a new gun, I'd buy .357 and load .38. Its like spices in cooking "you can always add, but you can't take away". Same applies in reverse to guns. .357 lets you shoot .38, why not buy one that gives you the choice if there is another ammo shortage? Same weight, same price (new), so why not get more options, unles you want something uber light like an SLR?
FQ13 who would load .38 +p, but likes knowing he has two choices.

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2010, 11:14:54 AM »
Saw a nice used S&W .357 with a ported barrel.  $250 seemed resonable, but would prefer new knowing how it was used and taken care of.  A .357 loses a lot of power from the short barrel, would the fact that this is ported take away even more? 
Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 10:36:21 AM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2010, 12:06:35 PM »
Saw a nice used S&W .357 with a ported barrel.  $250 seemed resonable, but would prefer new knowing how it was used and taken care of.  A .357 loses a lot of power from the short barrel, would the fact that this is ported take away even more? 
BUY IT! Yes, you're wasting powder with .357. Use .38 +p. However if the the revolver is in time, no rust etc., you cannot beat $250 with a stick. Ask the dealer for a bore light to check for pitting and see how tight it fits. Personally, its a concealed weapon. Who cares about looks? Just make sure its tight and clean. As far as porting, you'll get a big ball o'fire. So what? Its not a range toy. Frankly, if you don't like it, I'll trade you my S@W .38 4" even money on it, subject to both of our approvals.
FQ13 who says you don't see deals like that everyday, but if its clean and tight you should be writing a check, not talking to us.

Timothy

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2010, 12:33:35 PM »
Read the Snubnose Files...

http://www.snubnose.info/

It will give you good information about the snubby in general.  Most .357's can handle repeated shooting of full loads, that's what they were designed for.  The lighter frame guns being produced today, not so much.  I do know that shooting .38's out of a .357 will have a negative effect on ballistics because of the extended cylinder length and that includes +P loads.

I shoot a lot of .38's out of mine but if I'm going to carry it for protection, it's loaded for bear and magnum loads are the cartridge-de-jour......

Remember, you dress for the gun you carry, don't buy a gun to fit the way you dress...

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2010, 01:15:21 PM »
You are not gonna get the full power of a .357 out of a short barrel anyway so dont sweat it. IMO a 3" is the minimum for .357 and +P under that is ok.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Timothy

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2010, 04:21:44 PM »
http://www.snubnose.info/docs/38-snub_vs_357-snub.htm

This is a direct comparison of chrono numbers out of the same 2-1/2" barrel.

1243 fps vs 850 fps is pretty dramatic but to each his own..... ;)

If I feel I'm outgunned with the .357, I pack the 1911......... 8)

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2010, 09:46:08 PM »
Get a .357. Steel frame snubbies AREN'T AS BAD AS EVERYONE THINKS. As already said, and what I like about the .357 Mag, you have the option to carry magnum rounds in it, or if you shoot better with the .38 +p's you can shoot all of those you want in a .357 Mag. And again, as said, you don't HAVE to carry .357 rounds in it. I haven't fired an Ultralight .357. I have fired an Ultralight .45 Colt, but it wasn't too bad to get back on target. If you're concerned with faster target recovery, a steel framed snubbie isn't that much heavier to carry.  8) Get the .357. It's worth it. Just out of curiosity, which model are you considering? My S&W 649 (See My Avatar) is my favorite gun to carry. The only thing mine is missing is Laser grips, but I'm saving for them. One thing I did do, is paint that black sight with Orange nail polish, so now I can see the sight against a black target.
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk