Author Topic: Snubby debate - advice needed  (Read 21781 times)

LittleRed

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Snubby debate - advice needed
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2010, 08:06:59 PM »
I know what you mean. It "feels" like it is angled down. My understanding is that on a revolver, the recoil causes the barrel to lift before the bullet leaves the barrel. I have an old 6" Colt and the front sight is very high—presumably because of the longer barrel.

As for differing loads, my S&W 442 seems to shoot Point of Aim (POA) for 130gr (non +P). 158gr seem a bit higher (the theory is the barrel has traveled farther up before the bullets exits—heavier bullet = slower). +P in 125gr shoot a little low.

I suppose your grip plays a part in how high or low POA would be. This is how it has worked for me at least.

Try as many different loads as you can and you'll find that "sweet spot". I like the Federal Nyclads 130gr since, for me, they have the same POI as 130gr FMJ that I can pick relatively cheaply.

Have fun!

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2010, 12:24:28 PM »

Click On Thumbnail To Enlarge

I picked up this 686 in the late 80's. It's one of my favorite carry guns. 6, 125 gr. Soft Points will ruin someone's day.  Bill T.

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2010, 09:41:54 PM »
You did get a good deal! BTW, I come down solidly on the .38 Special side of the snub equation...I've got 5 small-framed revolvers...the only .357 in the herd is the heavier, beefier Ruger bobbed-hammer SP101.

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2010, 11:59:58 AM »
Another trip to the range with the new toy, and this time followed Timothy's advice on how to properly aim and line up to the target.  In single action I was hitting within three inches of the target at 7 yards.  Double action, I was, well let's just say I need more practice.  I did see a noticeable difference between the range ammo in .38 Special versus the Golden Sabres in +P.  Only shot 5 of the G. Sabres, they ain't cheap!
BillT, thanks for the photo, I was going to use my $25 discount off a $50 purchase at S&W for properly registering with them on grips like you have.  Wasn't sure how they would look with the aluminum pistol, but you answered that with a resounding Yes they look great!
Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

Timothy

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2010, 03:19:21 PM »
Get used to shooting it double action.  In a high stress incident, you're not going to think or have time to cock the hammer.  I actually shoot mine more accurately since I stopped shooting it SA.  Inside 20 feet, pie plate accuracy is effective shooting.

Sponsor

« Reply #55 on: Today at 11:21:04 PM »

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2010, 01:31:59 AM »
Dry fire practice can help. Range practice is even more helpful. Glad to hear you're enjoying the new gun.  8)
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2010, 08:38:19 AM »
I think I need to get four more so I can be like MB.  I am sure the wifey will agree and not go shopping for the next two years to accomodate my request.
Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2010, 11:43:01 AM »

Click On Thumbnail To Enlarge

I picked up this 686 in the late 80's. It's one of my favorite carry guns. 6, 125 gr. Soft Points will ruin someone's day.  Bill T.
THAT is a cream piece... my wife has one with 4: barrel and it's the nicest revolver we've ever handled. If you ever want to let go of it please let me know. If I can find any of that money stuff I'm in.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk