Author Topic: Taurus 617 vs Ruger sp101  (Read 23901 times)

TennJed

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Taurus 617 vs Ruger sp101
« on: November 08, 2010, 12:13:16 PM »
Was thinking of picking up a.357mag  2" Taurus 617 or a Ruger sp101 2.25in.  I would lok at the 357 Ruger LCR, but i think its ugly.

I am a Ruger guy.  I love how "tough" they are but the Taurus is less expensive and has a 7 shot capacity vs 5 shot.

Does anyone have any opinions on these or similar sized revolvers?

Thanks

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
Re: Taurus 617 vs Ruger sp101
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 01:30:06 PM »
Sorry TennJed, but I'm a S&W J frame user.  Haven't even shot the others, so can't compare for you.

Good luck!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 05:03:30 PM »
When shooting 357, the Ruger is probably the most controllable and least punishing on the market. It's built Ruger tough! The 3 incher is even better, but than becomes less pocket friendly. I'd imagine that a 7-shot .357 is pretty big in the pocket too, while a 5 shot cylinder is pretty slim.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 06:41:19 PM »
Ruger

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 07:02:23 PM »
Any platform .357 in a snub will be a handful.  Comes down to grip angle, size, ease of use for you.  The added benefit is top shelf .38 rounds, even .38 +P rounds for SD and carry.

Taurus makes good revolvers, and does Ruger. (and others),.. It comes down to what feels more like Your pistol.  Good reviews on snubs in the current Combat Handgun Mag. Do some research, and test drive the if you can,

Than there always is the 617T 7 shot....

Pretty bad ass.... ::)

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:59:13 PM »

tommy tornado

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 09:49:59 PM »
I owned a Ruger SP-101 and really liked it.  Traded it off for a FN Hi-power.  I have been looking for a replacement.  The Taurus looks interesting, however that Ruger will last forever.  Mine had a bunch of rounds through it with no problems.  Double action pull was heavy.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 11:05:48 PM »
I owned a Ruger SP-101 and really liked it.  Traded it off for a FN Hi-power.  I have been looking for a replacement.  The Taurus looks interesting, however that Ruger will last forever.  Mine had a bunch of rounds through it with no problems.  Double action pull was heavy.
As a Hi-power owner, I'd say you made a good trade. That said, you are right on the Ruger. I have been increasingly impressed by Taurus' pocket revolvers. Anybody out there have first hand knowledge?
FQ13

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 11:20:03 PM »
I have a 617. It's a great gun. I can comfortably shoot .357 Magnum Winchester Silvertips in it. It's Bulky though. Its a good belt gun but too fat for the pocket. The SP101 may be too heavy for the pocket for some, but it could be done. I don't have one but I have friends who do, and they all love the SP101. Between the two, I'd pick the 617. Close to the same weight, and ya get 2 extra shots.
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 11:30:59 PM »
Taurus revolvers are nothing but less expensive S&W clones. Even the Judge is no more than a modification of the S&W design made in Brazil. If you have to buy a second tier pistol at least get a Charter Arms and help save AMERICAN jobs.
Forget Titanium, their only value is for collectors. The tripling of the price of Ti. makes them worth more as scrap metal than they cost new, add to that that the same rise in price cut short production makes them ridiculously impracticable for self defense where if you need to use it you will at least temporarily lose it to the evidence locker.
You know Ruger's, you like Ruger's  get the 5 shot and a couple speed loaders.

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 11:43:59 PM »

Than there always is the 617T 7 shot....

Pretty bad ass.... ::)

Good luck finding one. I wanted one of them when the came out, but Nobody I knew could get their hands on the .357. I had one in .45 Colt, but it was stolen. Now, you don't even see the .38 Special ones around anymore.
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk