Author Topic: Taurus 617 vs Ruger sp101  (Read 23900 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Taurus 617 vs Ruger sp101
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 11:53:21 PM »
Good luck finding one. I wanted one of them when the came out, but Nobody I knew could get their hands on the .357. I had one in .45 Colt, but it was stolen. Now, you don't even see the .38 Special ones around anymore.

That's because a pistol worth $300- $400 new contains about $900 worth of Ti.
Who's going to pay over a grand for a .38 or .357 Snubbie ?

When I was doing sheet metal back in 2000 my boss gave me a 1/16" (  0.062 ) sheet 18 inches square for a job, They had me save even the chips from the job because even back then that sheet a foot and a half square was $500.

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 12:41:01 AM »
Yeah, and that's why i was told they quit using Titanium in guns. Wish I'd bought one of those Taurus 651's in Titanium when they were available.
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 12:43:16 AM »
Yeah, and that's why i was told they quit using Titanium in guns. Wish I'd bought one several of those Taurus 651's in Titanium when they were available.

FIFY and I agree completely   :-\

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 01:08:49 AM »
Some of The coolest stuff only seems to be on the market when I'm broke....... >:(
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 01:29:46 AM »
Some of The coolest stuff only seems to be on the market when I'm broke....... >:(
The story of my life. Hell, I traded (and I hate to admit this in public) a Colt Python .357 for a Glock. :o :-[ In my defense, Colt was still making them and this was a Tx. DPS trade in with holster wear and after the Luby's shooting in Killeen it seemed like hi-cap handguns were about to be banned along with "assault rifles". Still and all, I owned the only $1500 G-17 on the planet. :'( Stuff happens and hindsight is useless. My advice? Buy what you want when you have the green. In hindsight, you may have made a great investment or you may have gotten fleeced. Either way, you'll still have the gun and paid what you thought was fair at the time. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;D
FQ13

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:55:53 PM »

capbyrd

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 08:39:26 AM »
I have an SP101 2.25 inch and love it.  Great little gun.  BUT!!! I want an SR9c really bad right now so my SP101 is on the chopping block.  The SP is a great gun and you won't be displeased with it.  I personally just can't seem to make up my mind. 

By the way, where are you located?  I'll sell you mine if you are in Middle or West TN.

Timothy

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 05:06:30 PM »
Having owned, carried and fired a thousand rounds through one, I'd go with the Ruger.  Regretfully, I sold mine recently. 

Shooting full load mags can be painful in a snubbie so the Ruger is the go-too gun for heavy loads.  Yes, they can drag your shorts down a bit in the pocket but they are very concealable on a belt or in a pocket as long as your trousers are loose fitting and you have a good belt.

Light guns hurt with heavy loads.  More importantly, follow up shots are hard to get back on target and that's really more the point here!  If you can't put five shots at 20 feet into an IDPA target as fast as you pull the trigger, maybe you'd be better off with a different load.  And that's why I sold mine.

I'll keep my 1911 for serious work but my next purchase, now that I'm in a state where I can buy virtually anything on the market, will be a 9mm with a big f..k.i.n.g magazine or a little, bitty mouse gun in .380 like the LCP or the Kel-Tec...

tombogan03884

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 05:12:32 PM »
Tim, to be honest, I would go with a Glock and a Kel Tec.
Neither one will get any ooh's and ahh's,  but they both are reasonably pricd and do everything you could want from a gun EXCEPT look pretty in the safe  ;D

Timothy

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 05:22:59 PM »
Tim, to be honest, I would go with a Glock and a Kel Tec.
Neither one will get any ooh's and ahh's,  but they both are reasonably pricd and do everything you could want from a gun EXCEPT look pretty in the safe  ;D

I don't own any safe queens Tom.  I either carry it or hunt with it!    ;D  I also don't own a safe!   ;)

I have need for nothing but I don't spend money on something I'm not going to use.  If the gun goes bang, hit's pretty much what it's aimed at, and it's pink with flowers and a rainbow coalition banner on it, I could care less!

When it's staring a perp in the face, all he see's is the bore anyway!  The Jimminy "Glock", Kel-Tec, LCP or "Made in the USA" (insert your name here) works, every time....it's going to get my money...

It's why revolvers are always high on the list.

;)

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 08:01:20 PM »
I have an SP101 2.25 inch and love it.  Great little gun.  BUT!!! I want an SR9c really bad right now so my SP101 is on the chopping block.  The SP is a great gun and you won't be displeased with it.  I personally just can't seem to make up my mind. 

By the way, where are you located?  I'll sell you mine if you are in Middle or West TN.
I'll trade you my SR9c for your SP101. I'm in FL but my dad live in Ridgetop. I could send it up with him at Thanksgiving to swap.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk