Author Topic: New Kimber SOLO Fail.  (Read 22097 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Kimber SOLO Fail.
« on: September 25, 2011, 06:17:34 PM »
http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/09/robert-farago/kimber-solo-fail/

My FFL took possession of his new Kimber Solo Carry today, one of only three examples that rocked-up to the dealer in the last four months. The $725 msrp striker-fired handgun has something of a rep for, uh, not working. The company’s website warns buyers that the pocket nine was “designed to function optimally using premium hollow-point self-defense factory ammunition with bullet weights of 124 or 147 grains.” Kimber specifically recommends Federal Hydra-Shok JHPs and tells owners to run the gun with 24 rounds before they shove it their pocket (or words to that effect). So Steve fed it 24 rounds of 147-grain Federal Hydra-Shok JHPs and shoved it back in the box, after numerous failure-to-fire and failure-to-eject moments . . .

I’ve got my theories, but I’m taking the Solo Carry down to my gunsmith for independent evaluation. Meanwhile, my FFL has decided not to give Kimber a second chance. Given that he was looking to replace his EDC (Everyday Carry) Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380 with the Solo, who can blame him?

Seems "All That Glitters, Is Gold" may have been rushed into production, because the marketers and sales reps. run the show.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=3168900

Reminds me of "another" pistol that shall not be named here at DRTV..... ::)
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
Re: New Kimber SOLO Fail.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 08:39:19 PM »
Somehow, I knew about this.   Don't know why as I haven't shot one yet.   Maybe on another forum.

Anyway, I looked at them when the ads first came out.   Too expensive and too finicky.   

One thing I learned the painful way was to check and see what everyone else shoots.  Especially the "winners" in any competition.   I've also added to my old-age-tricks to see what the losers shoot.   When I'm watching a match and there's a gun failure, I try to find out the details and add it to my mental list.   You start to get a picture of which make/models fail more than others.  Which ones to avoid. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 10:18:04 PM »
The LC9 is starting to look even better than it did before.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

JLawson

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 10:33:14 PM »
For me, it's just another validation of the "Version 1.0 Rule" - never buy version 1.0 of anything.  This applies to guns, electronics, software... anything really.  Let 'em work out the bugs and then buy one in a year or so - if they're still in the catalog.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 05:36:49 AM »
Read the October American Rifleman last night.  The Solo is the cover photo.  In both the article as well as in Keefe's editorial it is pointed out that the Solo has a design limitation (on purpose) that only permits it to work with premium SD ammo.  In the article,  Wiley Clapp, does chide Kimber that many will not like not being able to fire cheaper ammo for practice and he questions the decision.

I will hand it to them, they've made this limitation known up front, unlike other manufacturers who don't publicize or even admit to shortcomings of their products.

Personally, I'd rather a more detail explanation of the limitations.  Besides bullet weight, I'd like to know, bullet shape, COAL, velocity, perhaps even burn rates that work and don't work.   
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:04:43 PM »

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 03:30:34 PM »
A "premium" firearm, should not be "finicky". What are they taking, the luxury/performance car approach that it ONLY runs on Premium Unleaded?

Please,....

A little break in time, perhaps even a fluff & buff, but if I want to shoot "range/cheap(er) target ammo", it should not even hiccup.

And for the money,....the F&B, and break-in should ALREADY have been addressed. IMHO. The snob factor better get turned down. Brag about your firearm when it shoots everything, ALL THE TIME.

What would Para, STI, Ed Brown, Les Baer,etc,...  say (all premium firearms),...if I spent a bunch of dollars on a firearm, and it did not like old milsurp or target/range ammo?

The SOP, is "Oh, just send it back,....we'll make it right"......

Gee,......freakin' thanks,.....For that,. I'll get two Glocks and/or M&P's..for $1000.00.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Timothy

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 04:08:27 PM »
I was looking long and hard at one of those as the write up in American Rifleman was positive right up until the ammo statement.

After that, it went south for me!

My Para is still flawless after three years and countless rounds.  My SIL has it for the moment to play with, I'm sure it will need to cleaned, thoroughly when I get it back...

I'll agree with Frank...LC9 is still high on the list.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 07:36:37 PM »
Read the October American Rifleman last night.  The Solo is the cover photo.  In both the article as well as in Keefe's editorial it is pointed out that the Solo has a design limitation (on purpose) that only permits it to work with premium SD ammo.  In the article,  Wiley Clapp, does chide Kimber that many will not like not being able to fire cheaper ammo for practice and he questions the decision.

I will hand it to them, they've made this limitation known up front, unlike other manufacturers who don't publicize or even admit to shortcomings of their products.

Personally, I'd rather a more detail explanation of the limitations.  Besides bullet weight, I'd like to know, bullet shape, COAL, velocity, perhaps even burn rates that work and don't work.   

Saw it on the cover, stifled a huge yawn, didn't even read the article yet - no reason to spend the beau coups bucks to buy a Kimber. Now, after reading about the engineering design failure marketing feature re' ammo, I wouldn't even ask a gun shop to bring it out of the case. Seriously, WTH?

I am happy with my Para, and with the Sig, especially since I have a .22 kit for it from Sig. New GF shot it a couple of weeks ago, and I think I have created another unwitting Sig lover!!!!  ;D
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 11:48:19 PM »

I'm impressed by the WHOLESALE BULLSHIT that the marketing team came up with.

If a gun won't function with 124/147gr ball ammo, who in their right mind would think it will function just fine with the same weight JHPs going the same speed?
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 02:04:19 AM »
I thought 115 gr was the most popular bullet weight for 9mm, and it won't work with those? I want to know why not.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk