Author Topic: New Kimber SOLO Fail.  (Read 22096 times)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Kimber SOLO Fail.
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2011, 11:48:28 AM »
I don't own a Kimber but I must say that I saw an article in my NRA mag about the solo and it is clearly discussed in the article that the weapon is designed to operate with a restricted list of ammo. AND that the springs are recommended replaced at brief intervals. I would guess, though, that info doesn't get to the average sales guy at the gun shops unless they read up on every new piece that comes in the store. I've been to plenty of places where I knew more about what I was looking at than the counter guy did, and I'm no expert.

I don't think Kimbers are worth the pricing but I have to say that I find the SOLO very attractive. I wish more manufacturers would move toward that style of finishing because it's a great CC package.

Here's the question Jaybet. Why do you care about aesthetics on a CC piece? It lives in your waist band or pocket. Ugly is just fine. All it has to do is go bang, something the Kimber won't always do by their own admission. Unless its gets the right ammo.  Pretty is good for toys, I own a couple of shot guns that are worth more than my truck, but they are toys not tools. Thats where I am looking to place Kimber right now. A pretty toy I would like to own and take to the range. A bet my life on it tool? Hell no.
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2011, 12:04:31 PM »
Here's the question Jaybet. Why do you care about aesthetics on a CC piece? It lives in your waist band or pocket. Ugly is just fine. All it has to do is go bang, something the Kimber won't always do by their own admission. Unless its gets the right ammo.  Pretty is good for toys, I own a couple of shot guns that are worth more than my truck, but they are toys not tools. Thats where I am looking to place Kimber right now. A pretty toy I would like to own and take to the range. A bet my life on it tool? Hell no.
FQ13

Think of it this way FQ.
2 girls, both pleasant, identical fittings and function, but one is a model and the other is butt ugly, which one do you pick ?
When all other things are equal a normal person will pick the item that is also visually pleasing .

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2011, 12:15:47 PM »
Think of it this way FQ.
2 girls, both pleasant, identical fittings and function, but one is a model and the other is butt ugly, which one do you pick ?
Well to put it in context, if the ugly one will "go bang" and the pretty one won't, I'll take the ugly one every damn day. Because the girl in your bed is always prettier than the one in your head. ;)
FQ13 Who will quote Lyle the explainer, and then stand silent. ;D

tombogan03884

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2011, 12:22:18 PM »
Think of it this way FQ.
When all other things are equal a normal person will pick the item that is also visually pleasing .

Is there some about "identical" that you don't understand ?    ::)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2011, 12:30:24 PM »
Is there some about "identical" that you don't understand ?    ::)
Yeah, you said nothing about willing and able. And like most things in life, you learn with age that apperance means squat, and attitude/aptitude means everything. Listen to Lyle again. ;D
FQ13 who has never dated a "playboy" type plastic enhanced woman, and who never has felt that he's missed out either. ;)

Sponsor

« Reply #55 on: Today at 09:23:51 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
Yeah, you said nothing about willing and able. And like most things in life, you learn with age that apperance means squat, and attitude/aptitude means everything. Listen to Lyle again. ;D
FQ13 who has never dated a "playboy" type plastic enhanced woman, and who never has felt that he's missed out either. ;)

If you don't know what you're missing you should STFU.  ;D

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2011, 12:44:07 PM »
If you don't know what you're missing you should STFU.  ;D
A quick emergency action drill. Close your eyes and reach around your bed. If you find a naked woman you pass. If you find a Victoria's Secret catalog you fail. Just sayin'. ;)
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2011, 12:46:05 PM »
What if I find a 12 ga and all the rest of my stuff ?

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2011, 01:39:57 PM »
Geez...I just mean that it looks nice. I know aesthetics don't matter when you're defending yourself, but when I'm cleaning they matter a lot. When I'm picking out stuff to take to the range it matters a lot. When I get together with gun buddies and we  check out the collection it matters a lot. Whether it works for me CCW is up to me (actually a moot point- NJ remember?) but if I'm willing to feed it Godiva bon bons and it pops every time I pull the trigger, then it works.

As far as it being a nice CCW package, it is compact and it is nicely sculpted- SIG has a term for it on their SAS models I think where everything is rounded and smooth. "Melted finish"? Anyway, if butt ugly was ok and nothing else mattered I'd probably have one piece, but it doesn't and so for some reason I'm on an endless quest to get more, and it's not because they are 100% reliable as a carry piece.

I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

denster

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2011, 10:03:52 PM »
One more guy with a SOLO that works. I've got nearly 500 rnds downrange and the only problems I've had are FTE's with WW white box 115gr. It will run those when clean for thirty or fourty rounds and then an FTE every couple of mags. These are obvious that the slide is not being kicked back far enough as the ejector just bumps the round out of the extractor but not out of the gun and the next round hasn't been picked up. With 124 and 147gr self defense ammo it is 100%. For cheap ammo to shoot I've been using Speer Lawman 147gr and that is 100% also. The ergonomics and trigger are great and it is way more accurate than it needs to be. Head shots at 50ft are no problem. Bullet wise it will feed anything. The only thing I would have liked is about a quarter inch mag extension.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk