Author Topic: New Walther PPK/S & Concealed Carry Permit!  (Read 20136 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Walther PPK/S & Concealed Carry Permit!
« on: March 24, 2008, 08:51:19 PM »
I'd like to thank the Easter Bunny for a new Walther PPK/S 380.(Thank you for tax refunds), Did not know that Smith and Wesson took over the distribution of Walther's in 2002 from their facility in Maine, until researching Walther's history after the Interarms era.

I've always wanted one since Sean Connery made them look so cool.

The only criticism I can make are the grips and the lack of any pattern on the backstrap that would seem very slippery if sweaty palms or moisture were present.

Also, my local sheriff sent me a letter stating my Concealed Carry Permit was ready! Which I promptly took my lunch hour to get.
Took 2 1/2 months, and $90 for the permit, $75 for the course, 3 trips to the sheriff's office plus gas, notary, ETC,.. But YEAH!
Now purchasing handguns, ( at least in NC ) is now exponentially easier.

With the diverse knowledge on this forum, does anyone have recommendation for a grip improvement, ammo selection, or any other tips or tweaks that might make this little guy be better?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
Re: New Walther PPK/S & Concealed Carry Permit!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 06:19:16 AM »
Congrats on the CCP and a nice choice in carry arms.
Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

DDMac

• Proudly Bald On
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 06:31:30 AM »
I would recommend Speer Gold Dot ammo. Consensus best choice in .380 where I shoot. Is the North Carolina back?
Mac. Raleigh.
Standing up for your Right to lay down suppressive fire since 1948!

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 06:34:37 AM »
Mac,

I use Winchester Silver Tip in my P3AT.  I tested ammo on phone books and it penetrated and expanded best for me.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 05:38:06 PM »
I would recommend Speer Gold Dot ammo. Consensus best choice in .380 where I shoot. Is the North Carolina back?
Mac. Raleigh.

Thank you for the feedback, As far as the USS North Carolina, it was "supposed" to be towed to Norfolk for drydock and maint. She arrived here in the mid 60's and is due for a haul out and service.  The cost and politicians are taking care of the delays.
Also the Kitty Hawk, after decommissioning this year or next in CA, is supposed to come here also.

The commissioning of the new USS North Carolina nuclear sub, is in May here in Wilmington. It has flooring taken from the battleship, and the WWI Captains tea set from the original Dreadnought NC.

I've heard 99.9% positive things about Gold Dot, as well as Black Hills, I thank you for your advice.

Tom W.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:54:41 PM »

DDMac

• Proudly Bald On
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 07:07:10 PM »
Haz, did you try Speer in your tests? While Tom has a little more barrel to work with, and thus more velocity, maybe, whatever works better in the P-3AT would be my choice. I did no tests. Obviously an error I can fix.
Mac
Standing up for your Right to lay down suppressive fire since 1948!

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 07:21:01 PM »
Silver tips, Gold Dot, Blazer and I can't remember the 4th one.  Blazer just plugged up with 0 expansion, Gold Dot came apart and did not penetrate as far.  The Silver Tips penetrated, expanded and retained weight.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 08:07:44 PM »
I just picked up an older Interarms stainless PPK this past weekend.   It is, essentially, new old stock as the owner never fired it and looks as it was just made yesterday.  From everything I've read, the .380 ammo that PPKs really like are the Winchester Silvertips, as already mentioned, and Federal Hydra-Shok.  Not only do these rounds feed the most reliably, they also offer a very effective round.  I plan to also try the Cor-Bon DPX and see which I plan to carry.  I love Gold Dots .38 135 gr.short barrel for snubbies, but for a PPK some of the results posted have been disappointing.

By the way Michael, you'll be pleased to hear that I ordered a Pocket Concealment System pocket holster today (Harpoon model) for my PPK to round off the package.... ;D
Winchester Ranger T .45ACP 230 gr.+P JHP.................................When you care enough to send the very best.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 08:10:03 PM »
Cor Bon!  That was the other one I tried!  Very little expansion and mediocre penetration.

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 08:13:46 PM »
Cor Bon!  That was the other one I tried!  Very little expansion and mediocre penetration.

Did you try the DPX version?  This version Cor-Bon cartridge uses a Barnes bullet with amazing expansion....not cheap but a great round.
Winchester Ranger T .45ACP 230 gr.+P JHP.................................When you care enough to send the very best.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk