Author Topic: New Walther PPK/S & Concealed Carry Permit!  (Read 20138 times)

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Walther PPK/S & Concealed Carry Permit!
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008, 01:35:31 AM »
Hello Hawkfish, I have no holster yet for the PPK/S, thin would certainly be a plus as its warm and clothing is kinda casual.

Maybe you our others have a recommendation, it would be appreciatied.

Here's the pocket holster I bought for my PPK.......Pocket Concealment Systems Harpoon model.  Very thin, light weight and stiff and extremely well made.

http://pcsholsters.com/catalog_item_HPN.html
Winchester Ranger T .45ACP 230 gr.+P JHP.................................When you care enough to send the very best.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008, 06:29:32 AM »
Thank you for the link to smartcarry.com, I watched the video preview and it really is something I'm looking for, Although its a liittle close to "The Boys", and the barrel is really close to Unick (sp)? territory. Also the pcsholsters.com option is right there as well.

I'll look into furthur, I really like this option for concealed carry,

Thanks again, this forum is like a database for what works, doesn't, almost does, or is flat out awful, and I really appreciate it.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 05:11:15 PM »
I put about 150 rounds through the Interarms PPK the other day and I have to say, this is one beautiful shooting little pistol.  Also, it is remarkably accurate. Not one hiccup of any kind with three different types of ammo....Federal Hydra-Shock JHP, Federal American Eagle ball and Winchester White Box.  A little jewel of a gun and wonderfully slim which makes it nice for pocket carry, albeit not a real lightweight.  The PPK's ability to see the sights quickly and put it on target very accurately makes it a very nice option.

Now.......the "Walther Bite" I can do without.......I do feel initiated into the club however..... ;D
Winchester Ranger T .45ACP 230 gr.+P JHP.................................When you care enough to send the very best.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2008, 08:14:47 AM »
I put about 150 rounds through the Interarms PPK the other day and I have to say, this is one beautiful shooting little pistol.  Also, it is remarkably accurate. Not one hiccup of any kind with three different types of ammo....Federal Hydra-Shock JHP, Federal American Eagle ball and Winchester White Box.  A little jewel of a gun and wonderfully slim which makes it nice for pocket carry, albeit not a real lightweight.  The PPK's ability to see the sights quickly and put it on target very accurately makes it a very nice option.

Now.......the "Walther Bite" I can do without.......I do feel initiated into the club however..... ;D

Look at the positive....

It's a less painful initiation than an M1 thumb!  ::)
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2008, 11:35:12 AM »
The rear portion of the slide of the German and Interarms PPKs takes a nice chunk of skin off the rear portion of your thumb.  A few bandaids to stop the bleeding from the slide track marks is all that it took and then another flawless 100 rounds downrange....great little gun.  Next time the bandaids go on first or perhaps a shooting glove.  The famous "Walther Bite" is why the new Smith & Wesson PPKs extended the beavertail, but, IMHO, also ruined the lines of the pistol and its "pocketability".  Also, reliability and fit and finish of the new S&W version leaves something to be desired from the older PPKs.  If you can find an Interarms PPK you will get a great gun at an excellent price....second only to a German made version.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 03:55:43 AM »

twyacht

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2008, 08:08:02 AM »
As far as the fit and finish, its very good quality. I'm glad I don't need band-aids, the magazines with grip extensions even make it feel better in my hand. I don't think S&W did it any injustice at all. I'm sure the trigger pros would want something lighter than the 17-20 lb. DA pull, but after the first shot the SA's are spot on.

I have had no FTF, FTE, with a variety of ammo, and the more I shoot it, the smoother it gets. The decocker was a little stiff at first, 150 rounds and a few cleanings and lubes later, it is smoother. Wouldn't mind some grip enhancement on the back of the grip as there is none.

Granted the older PPK's have a literal cult following, I didn't want the .32, and I have a "thing" for not trusting used pistols, as a CCW holder, that was not appealing.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2008, 08:18:24 AM »
Hey twyacht, how is the accuracy of that ppk? ..  ::) They have a great size aspect to them. I was curious about how they shoot.

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2008, 02:47:51 PM »
It appears the S&W PPK and PPK/S models are a hit or miss proposition but if you are fortunate enough to get a good one out of the box, they appear to maintain their reliability.  But those who experience issues from the onset seem to have problems on an ongoing basis.  This certainly makes those particular S&W pistols extremely problematic for CCW.  Looks like their quality control is inconsistent at best.  I'll take an older Interarms or German made model any day of the week.

Some information on the S&W vs. Interarms PPKs from the Walther forum......

http://www.waltherforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7555

twyacht

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2008, 07:44:05 PM »
Hello Hawkfish, My first trip to the range yielded great groups at 7 yards, all the the right of center with Magtech ammo.

After CLOSE examination of the rear sight, it was off center, the good ol' manual said to get a brass punch and literally "tap" the sight back to center.

Yes, I was apprehensive, but it did work. First I tapped like girlie-man, than found the level to just bring the sight back to center. It wasn't much, maybe 1/8" inch. But on a short little barrel, it was enough to shoot right.

2nd trip shot nice groups at 3, 7, and 9 yards. Can attribute any disappointing rounds to the shooter :P.

3rd trip better results, and the realization, that with this short a barrel it requires (me anyway), More Practice!

Col. Jeff Cooper.

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2008, 12:08:42 PM »
OK.....after paying a nice chunk of change for a Pocket Concealment System (PCS) holster for my PPK, I have found it to be too large and stiff in my front pocket (OK, I could have worded that better) and wound up trying a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster for $19.95.  I love this thing!!!  Beats any holster I've tried, hands down, for pocket carry and that includes the PCS I just mentioned (although a work of art to look at),  a Robert Mika, a Simply Rugged Pocket Protector and even a Chic Gaylord 8 Ball J frame holster that I found a couple of weeks ago in a gun store in like new condition (a piece of history and a brilliant design). 

The perfection of the Nemesis comes from the fact that it weighs nothing, is super thin with a nice soft rubberized feel and a brilliant design where you simply draw the gun from your pocket and the holster's tacky rubberized material allows it to stick like glue to the inside fabric.  The super slick fabric on the interior of the holster not only makes for a smooth and effortless draw, it also minimizes any holster wear and makes for an equally effortless re-holstering of your gun.  The best thing might very well be the way its soft rubberized material takes the shape of your leg unlike the PCS leather design, for instance, which although nice and thin, is also extremely stiff in its design which creates a huge square in your front pocket which looks ridiculous, especially in dress slacks or a business suit.  The other holsters mentioned, while not creating a large square shape your pocket, do create a large lump in your pocket given the open shape construction of the holster itself.  These holsters really can only work with heavier weight fabric pants like cargo pants or jeans...not dress slacks or business suits.  The Nemesis is very different...it molds and bends with the shape of your leg, doesn't print because of its soft padded fabric which effectively conceals the shape of the gun, and is as comfortable as it gets because the fabric softens the feel of the gun against your leg.   The tabs on the perimeter don't stick out like the leather holsters, they simply bend and disappear making the holster blend in very well.  A really wonderfully conceived pocket holster......just wished I had tried one sooner.

Being a person who pocket carries 7 days a week, I am delighted to have found a pocket holster that works well for me.  A Walther PPK in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster is as slim a carry option as you can find.  You can also wear it in either the right or left side front pants pocket.  At $19.95, you owe it to yourself to give one a try.  You'll be very pleasantly surprised.....and possibly save yourself some big dollars experimenting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk