Author Topic: Combat handgun. What do you want?  (Read 19776 times)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Combat handgun. What do you want?
« on: October 25, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
Ok,  I don't want this to devolve into caliber wars, or 1911 vs glock or any other topic that has been done to death. Let's just pretend you were in charge of buying a new pistol for the Army, as someone is as we speak. What would your specs be and why?

Me, I would want it to be in .45 ACP or 10mm (.357 in a revolver). I would want it to hold at least ten rounds (If its a pistol, seven in a revolver, and a revolver only with speed loaders or speed strips issued). I would want an under barrel rail. I would want no external safeties. I would want internal safeties to keep it from going bang if you dropped it. I would want it to be able to function with zero maintenance in a highly hostile environment, eg. not so tightly made that sand, mud or salt were a problem. This sounds like a Glock, but there are other's out there that will do the job. Your thoughts? Pistols, revolvers? What would you want to carry in the sand box? A Glock, a Kimber, a Red Hawk? All comers welcome. Remember, you aren't concealing it. Its worn on your thigh and it will get dirty. What do you trust?
FQ13

tombogan03884

Re: Combat handgun. What do you want?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 10:37:19 PM »
  For group issue, Glock .45 or 10mm.
My personal go to choices are .357 revolver or a 1911 in .45.
The reason for the difference is , First, for military purposes I agree with FQ on at least 10 rounds, on the other hand, I'm no longer in the military , I'm not likely to be dealing with "human wave" attacks. Second, between the polymer, and tenifer finish the Glock is very resistant to long term environmental exposure such as Swamp or jungle, again, as a civilian I am unlikely to encounter those conditions.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 11:50:12 PM »
FNP-45 USG with a RMR sight.  If it works in MB's little paws and in others gorilla grips with a red dot sight I think it would be very affective.  For a revolver I'm partial to S&W 686 with a 4" barrel or a Colt Python with a 4" barrel.
He who dares wins.  SAS

Dakotaranger

• Happiness is a 1911 in your hand
  • Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 12:11:58 AM »
 For group issue, Glock .45 or 10mm.
My personal go to choices are .357 revolver or a 1911 in .45.
The reason for the difference is , First, for military purposes I agree with FQ on at least 10 rounds, on the other hand, I'm no longer in the military , I'm not likely to be dealing with "human wave" attacks. Second, between the polymer, and tenifer finish the Glock is very resistant to long term environmental exposure such as Swamp or jungle, again, as a civilian I am unlikely to encounter those conditions.
I wish my XD had that coating.  IF I wasn't a cyclist, it wouldn't be a big deal (it's better than infamous rust issue they had ten years ago) the only issue I'm struggling with rust is around the sights.  I'm not a Glock fan just because it didn't fit me well.  IF I could get a striker fired '1911'.  I prefer a steel pistol.  Night sights, I'm fine with the 13rds.

I don't have any experience with a double action revolver to have a remotely educated opinion
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 02:26:45 AM »
I'll take a SIG 226 in 9mm or a 220 in 45acp. Both calibers are already in the supply chain.

Neither has switches, safties or whatnot to deliver the first shot. Just a revolver like first trigger pull. No mag disconnect, and both are VERY accurate.

I would go to war with either one but might lean toward the 226 because of 16 rnds on tap vs 9.   
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:53:02 PM »

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 03:48:11 AM »
I don't believe the Glock or most any other new poly pistol is the way to go because the safety is in the trigger and when left to the untrained user will be a problem!  That being said, a DAO is the best bet and I don't have a working knowledge of any of them to choose.  A S&W 686 in poly would be my choice of revo when and if they could make one!  Only to save weight!

FWIW

Richard

PS:  That would be for the military.  For me, I will stick with my Para P14 and pick up a S&W 4" 625 and have it worked over.  Both in .45 don't ya know!
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 07:54:18 AM »
Hmmm...we might also work on  a "Frankenstein" gun.

For instance, a couple of this have been mentioned.

Tennifer treated metal parts.
Striker fired.
Manual safety or heavier DOA only (personally don't agree with this one)
closer to the ergonomics of a 1911
.45ACP or 10mm
10 rounds minimum.
semi-auto (personal preference/recommendation)
Poly frame for weight reduction

For me, a Glock 21 with a grip frame with the angle of a 1911 would work.  Any grip reduction without losing capacity would be a plus

I do wish there was a way to incorporate the 1911's inline trigger pull with the simplicity of parts/functioning of a Glock.

I do believe there was a 3rd party frame for a Glock with the 1911 grip angle.  It was not in the large frame calibers however.  I also recall it could be had in polymer or aluminum and another alloy.

The original question noted that this is not for personal SD, but rather what the troops might use.

So, if you were gonna be a 'troop'  what would you build to carry.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

jnevis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 08:12:36 AM »
My requirements:
9mm or larger
15 rd min capacity
no external safety
quick acquisition night sights (XS Big Dot like)
under frame rail
minimum number of parts
captive springs (recoil and otherwise)
field strip without tools
ambi mag release (armorer swaps allowed)
Single grip size (multi-size panel allowed-FNP like, not seperate pieces like M&P or Glock Gen 4)

I don't believe the Glock or most any other new poly pistol is the way to go because the safety is in the trigger and when left to the untrained user will be a problem!  

Since no one in the military carries a pistol without a couple days training (and months of "Keep you F-ing trigger finger out of the trigger gaurd until you're shooting!!!!!!"), and requals at LEAST annually; not an issue.

Both Glocks and Sigs are in the supply system, in 9mm and 40.  The 9s have the advantage of higher capacity and more available ammo, globally.  The 40 has a better track record for hitting harder, but recoil is a problem.  The all metal frame of the Sig mitigates that to some extent.  The Glock not having a different trigger pull, shot to shot, is to its advantage.  The basic premise of carrying a pistol is simple; get to a rifle, or OUT of a confined space.  It will NEVER be a primary weapon.  It is/will be used to get enough rounds out to allow getting out of a HumVee/room to employ the rifle to actaully stop the threat.  Rapid deployment without having to worry about a safety is paramount.  M9s are currently on safe only when inside the wire.  
When seconds mean the difference between life and death, the police will be minutes away.

You are either SOLVING the problem, or you ARE the problem.

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 11:40:25 AM »
For a revolver I would go with either a S&W or Ruger in .357.While the Python is a beautiful gun they are known for going out of time with hard use and there are few gunsmiths that can fix them properly left.if money were no object I would go for the S&W Performance shop M&P R8,It holds 8 rounds in moon clips,has a light rail and is built for competition so it should hold up.For Autos I'll stick with my 1911 Colt and Browning HiPower,Both proven designs.

Here's a link to the M&P R8
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765757_-1__757896__ProductDisplayErrorView_Y
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 12:04:54 PM »
Leave the revolvers to the commanders in the rear. I would say the Glock 22 in .40 Smith and Wesson. You have the power and the additional rounds. You would have 15 rounds as opposed to 13 in .45 ACP with the Glock.

I also agree with the 10mm round (Glock 20).  ;) But I do carry a Glock in .45 ACP daily.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk