Author Topic: Range Report: Ruger LCP *Problems*  (Read 24284 times)

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Range Report: Ruger LCP *Problems*
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 02:54:57 PM »
Lots of P3ATs out there.  Mine has run consistantly out of the box with any ammo including reloads.  Bought another mag for it and no problems there either.  Pick 'em up around here for $280.00.

Yeah, I know people that love them, and I know just as many that hate them..... I think it all comes down to if you get a good one or not. If you get a good one, then they are a great gun - but if you get a bad one, they have a tendency to jam pretty often.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 02:58:08 PM »
The first generation is iffy.  Every thing I have heard about the 2nd generation is positive.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 03:03:15 PM »
I never buy 1st gen anything...  let them work out the bugs.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 07:12:09 PM »
I just got back from my first go round at the range. First off, the thing is a hot little pistol when firing. Maybe because I am used to shooting my bigger pistols, like my Sig P220 and BHP, I was not expecting the little thing to be such a Noisy Cricket (go see MIB #1).

Anyhow, shot well, only 50 rounds through it, shot on the way home from work so time was limited. Shot everything well, no FTF or FTE, all Magtech ammo, no sign of the wear that Solid noted, but then, only 50 rounds.

As for magazines, checked every local store, no LCP or Kel-Tec - not one. Kel-tec mags on line appear to be almost as much - on sale - as the Ruger. So it was shoot 7, reload, shoot 7, reload, etc.

One interesting note. Even with my small-ish hands, I found the LCP to kinda get swallowed up in them. I used a modified 2-handed grip, with my weak hand lower on the strong, and my thumb across my strong-side wrist to help control the Cricket. I ordered some mag extenders for the magazine, so I'll see if that helps me find a better grip.

Did fine single handed though, even rapid fire.

All that being said, though, very nice pistol, and should be interesting to carry.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 08:33:44 PM »
I just got back from my first go round at the range. First off, the thing is a hot little pistol when firing. Maybe because I am used to shooting my bigger pistols, like my Sig P220 and BHP, I was not expecting the little thing to be such a Noisy Cricket (go see MIB #1).

Anyhow, shot well, only 50 rounds through it, shot on the way home from work so time was limited. Shot everything well, no FTF or FTE, all Magtech ammo, no sign of the wear that Solid noted, but then, only 50 rounds.

As for magazines, checked every local store, no LCP or Kel-Tec - not one. Kel-tec mags on line appear to be almost as much - on sale - as the Ruger. So it was shoot 7, reload, shoot 7, reload, etc.

One interesting note. Even with my small-ish hands, I found the LCP to kinda get swallowed up in them. I used a modified 2-handed grip, with my weak hand lower on the strong, and my thumb across my strong-side wrist to help control the Cricket. I ordered some mag extenders for the magazine, so I'll see if that helps me find a better grip.

Did fine single handed though, even rapid fire.

All that being said, though, very nice pistol, and should be interesting to carry.

That's what I named my P3AT the first day!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:06:13 PM »

alfack

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 02:11:33 PM »

Pathfinder,

I had the same experience with mine. One-and-a-half fingers on the handle makes controlling the recoil a little difficult. I found that the side of the trigger guard sort of bit into the side of my trigger finger.

I saw some mag extensions on ebay and was thinking about trying one out. Let us know how the mag extensions work, after you get them, mmkay.

Thanks

PS. First post, I like the editing controls up here.   

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 02:23:44 PM »
You guys should enter your test results in the product review section of the DRTV site and create a full product review of the LCP:

http://www.downrange.tv/reviews/
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Outlaw

• U.S.A.F. Retired/CCW
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 02:45:48 PM »
Another one I carry consistently is the Sig P232 SL in .380. It eats anything, especially the personal protection rnds. Shoots as fast as you can pull the trigger and is deadly accurate at 30' or more if you can see that far and hold it on target. It's very light also. It has a one-in-the-pipe indicator and a decocker. Shoots 7 + 1 also. Kinda hard to find a new one around here but I picked up my like-new used one for $300. Wouldn't trade it now for anything.

J.C.
Strategic Air Command Motto: Peace is Our Profession, Believe it or We'll Bomb the Hell Outta Ya!

Solid

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 11:33:04 PM »
You guys should enter your test results in the product review section of the DRTV site and create a full product review of the LCP:

http://www.downrange.tv/reviews/
I'll do that once I give Ruger a chance to fix this gun. Once it is "fixed" I'll post my final word.

tombogan03884

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 11:35:43 PM »
I'll do that once I give Ruger a chance to fix this gun. Once it is "fixed" I'll post my final word.

From your discription they will likely replace it with one made right.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk