Author Topic: SIG Handgun Model Question  (Read 19901 times)

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SIG Handgun Model Question
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 10:00:20 AM »
Rastus,

I like them all. I have used several. The only one that is a problem is the Mosquito which we have posted on several times before.
The number after the 2 does not reflect the caliber usually. The P239 for instance is available in 9mm, .357 SIG and .40 as is the P229. The P220 is a .45 now, but the first one I shot in Germany many years ago was a 9mm.

The SIGs are serious guns that are famous for their hell and back reliability and outstanding accuracy. I use my P226 9mm for league and my P220R as my night stand gun.

I have purchased new and used SIGs and they have all been first rate.

I think for the money, they beat the good 1911s for value. I am a great fan of 1911s but I decided I wanted a DA/SA some years ago and got a good deal on a used P226 that turned out to be an outstanding pistol. I took that pistol to several courses at SIG Academy and put a short trigger on it just for fun. BTW I am a certified SIG Armorer. Now all my center fire SIGs have night sights and short triggers.

I still like and use my S&W revolvers, my XD45 and my M1911s, but the SIGs are my current frontline guns. You will not go wrong with a SIG.

Ron J

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 10:55:05 AM »
I am partial to SIGs so my 2¢ is going to be very biased, but for a good reason.  

My first SIG (and my first gun purchase) was my Browning BDA that I bought in 1978.  As advertised, out of the box the accuracy is amazing.  To compare, it is as accurate as a Series 70 Colt NM that I had Pachmayr tune or my Behlert tuned Colt Commander.  As to reliability, it will feed ANY round of 45ACP and will chuck the empties like a destroyer throwing depth charges.  I bought another SIG P220 in 2003 to "semi-retire" my BDA. This SIG is just like the first.  Flawless function and amazing accuracy.  

If you are looking for a compact 45 ACP gun, SIG makes the P220 Compact and the P220 Carry.  I have no experience with these two SIGs.  Will say that for me (I am 5'9" and 200#) my P220 is not hard to carry concealed.  In fact, given the accuracy and reliability it is rather comforting!  However, if you are looking for a compact platform for 9mm, 357SIG or 40SW, SIG makes the P239.  This gun has had awesome reviews.  Lastly, as you mentioned there is the P229.  It is only slightly larger than the P239 and is available in the same variety of "flavors".  

SIG also has their new P250 available in a compact model and soon, a subcompact.  The P250 Subcompact will be DAO, available in 9mm (12+1) 357 SIG (10+1), 40SW (10+1) and 45ACP (6+1).  What is interesting to me about this gun is that size, weight and function wise, it is the same as a "J" frame S&W 640 except it packs a lot more firepower.  I plan to take a serious look at these when SIG releases them.    

Lot of great information on these guns is available at the SIG Forum (sigforum.com).  Good luck and have fun with the selection.  

gemurdock

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 11:07:02 AM »
I am partial to SIGs so my 2¢ is going to be very biased, but for a good reason.  

I have P220 Compact (6+1), a P229 in .40, and a P220 that is being converted to 10mm, among others.  My favorite guns by far, I sold all my Glocks after the 2nd SIG.

Dougdubya

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 12:09:56 PM »
As a lover of the SIG since... since I first learned of handgun differences, they're all fine.

The P220 - full sized .45 (4 1/2 inch or so barrel)
P220 match has a 5" barrel, P220 Carry has under 7" length, full grip, P220 Compact is the P245 with a better backstrap.
The P225 - the 7 inch long, 9mm version of the P220 (discontinued, but a flood of used P6's are coming in from CDNN)
The P226 - full sized 9mm, .40 and .357 - the almost 8 inch long version.
The P228 - dedicated 9mm, 7 inches long, 13 rounds (and appropriately shorter grip)
The P229 - mid-sized 9mm, .40 and .357 - the 7 inch long version, minus 2 capacity from the 226.
The P245 - .45 ACP, in P225 dimensions, more or less.
The P239 - a SIG P230-sized 9mm, .40, or .357 with single stack mag and quite slim and comfy.
The P230 - the Walther PP or PPK with better ergonomics and decocking mechanism.

Oldest favorites are the big SIGs, the P220 and the P226.  To show how old and oddball I am, my favorite P220 is the .38 Super.  Best stand-in for that oddballness is the P226 in .357 Sig, with the bonus cheetoh that the .357 SIG '226 has four more shots.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 09:23:17 PM »
Thanks to all of you for the helpful information.  The more I look at these Sigs the more I want one...two...three...I'm zeroing in on the P245 and P239....thanks again.

Ken
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:50:46 AM »

DDMac

• Proudly Bald On
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 04:27:59 PM »
I know this is winding down, but may I ask if anyone knows if there are aftermarket grips for a P-220 that are smaller than stock? The grip is long, front to rear, and I have to re-grip after each shot. Just can't get fingers around it toward the bottom of the mag well.
Thanks, Mac.
Standing up for your Right to lay down suppressive fire since 1948!

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 06:19:23 PM »
That's the biggest "rub" I hear about Sigs is the grip size front to back. It's LONG and so even a narrow grip can leave you trying to get ahold again. My P2022 came with a second grip but it was even bigger than the one from the factory, and I can't use it. I would think they could shrink the backstrap on those one piece grips and maybe get a little smaller circumference. Still great guns though.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Dougdubya

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 08:02:54 PM »
Never had the "too long" front to back problem with even a P220.  My hands aren't that big either.

DDMack - I'm not sure, but I remember this one lady who crafts beautiful wooden grips.  Maybe she has a design for the P220.  I forget her name though, at the moment.

But she's as pretty as her grips.

DDMac

• Proudly Bald On
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 11:35:36 AM »
Doug, Let me know if you think of it . Sounds like Marshal'ette.
Mac.
Standing up for your Right to lay down suppressive fire since 1948!

Dougdubya

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 01:32:30 PM »
Doug, Let me know if you think of it . Sounds like Marshal'ette.
Mac.

Nah.  Esmerelda is darker.  She's Texas based I believe.

http://www.esmeralda.cc/

Also, Hogue has metal grips now.  Lemme check if they have any for the P220. 
http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/ExtremeSIG.html

Looks like '226's only...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk