Author Topic: Accurate wheelgun for target/trail carry  (Read 20804 times)

mx451

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Accurate wheelgun for target/trail carry
« on: June 07, 2008, 11:34:09 PM »
I am thinking about buying a new wheelgun.  It will be used mostly for target shooting and occasional trail carry.  What I really care about is accuracy.  Have any of you came across any revolvers that had outstanding accuracy out of the box?  I also would like to not include high end guns.  Im thinking more of an everyman's gun.  The calibers I would consider are .357, .44mag, and .45LC.  Single or double action is ok.  So far Ive looked at Blackhawks and Smith 329.  Any more ideas? Or perhaps guns that you cant live without?  Thanks in advance.
I've got two guns, one for each of ya!

tombogan03884

Re: Accurate wheelgun for target/trail carry
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 11:41:35 PM »
Taurus,

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 11:59:30 PM »

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=27904&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15714&isFirearm=Y

627 v comp... with out a doubt the best revolver I have ever shot.   or just the standarad 627 is great too.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 05:43:39 AM »
S&W 586 and 686 4" have always been accurate for me and not too bad to carry.

Richard

They used to make a 3-31/2" also.
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

saltydogbk

• Better to die on my feet than live on my knees
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 07:08:16 AM »
Ruger Redhawk, 44mag, 4 inch barrel.  I just love this gun.
You can never have too many guns, or too much ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:15:00 PM »

Ron J

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 08:41:57 AM »
I have three wheel guns that would fall into the category for excellent accuracy. 
S&W M625-2 “Model of 1988” / 5” - 45ACP
S&W M629 (no dash) / 4” - 44mag
S&W M629-3DX / 6½” - 44mag (in a shoulder rig, not bad to carry)

Out of the box, all three guns were very accurate.  However, I have at one time or another sent all three to be tuned or “fixed”.  The M625 was tuned by Andy Cannon and the 4” M629 was tuned and ported by Mag-Na-Port.  This M629 is the smoothest and slickest action I have ever felt on any revolver. Downside is that with the 4” ported barrel it has a painful report.  The M629DX is possibly the most accurate of any handgun I have ever owned or fired.  Out of a rest it is capable of putting six shots inside a quarter at 25 yards.  It’s also been back to S&W twice for locking up on me.  Having put a couple hundred rounds through it since the last time, I think they got it right and would have no issue carrying it in the field.

My recommendations and 2¢ …
S&W M686 – Round butt, 7 shot 357mag with a 3” barrel
S&W M629 – with at least a 4” barrel.  The report of a magnum load out of the 4” tube is bad enough and anything shorter will require hearing protection on the trail. 
Ruger Super Redhawk or Super Blawkhawk – Solid guns and usually very accurate. 

Another recommendation would be a 4” S&W M610.  It’s chambered for 10mm which is a great performing round BUT it can also shoot 40S&W.  If you already have a 40S&W semi auto, it would be a good second gun, same caliber to get. 

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 09:37:50 AM »
If you can afford the bling factor, the S&W 460 covers all needs. 8) Angry raccoon to charging bear, won't matter. Plus it will shoot the .45 LC, .454 Casull and the .460 round without changing a thing. The .45 LC Silver-Tip HP's, are very accurate.

Also agree the Model 625 4" inch barrel, would also be a nice choice and not too big in price or carry.

I like the .45 LC as well, Ruger makes several great ones.

Did you want to hunt? Or just have  "peace of mind" in your wheelgun?

If its the latter, and recoil from a .44 is not what your after, the tried and true .357 Magnum is always a good choice.

I wouldn't go smaller than that.

Good Luck
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 09:54:49 AM »
If you want the best of the best go with the S&W Model 329:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=11601&langId=-1&productId=14774&tabselected=tech&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=16305

or the Model 629:

Both are in 44 mag.

If you are on more of a budget, you can't go wrong with a Taurus or Ruger.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

CJS3

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 12:16:20 PM »
I've carried .357,.44MAG, and .45LC for trail guns, and I've taken deer and wild hog with all. I prefer a wheel gun on the trail, because of .... ::), well, just because.
Children, pets, and slaves are taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 01:35:37 PM »
I've carried .357,.44MAG, and .45LC for trail guns, and I've taken deer and wild hog with all. I prefer a wheel gun on the trail, because of .... ::), well, just because.

Yes, we understand.  ;D When you say "Hunting pistol" .45 ACP and 9MM are not the calibers that come to mind   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk