Author Topic: Accurate wheelgun for target/trail carry  (Read 20809 times)

mx451

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Accurate wheelgun for target/trail carry
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 07:15:21 PM »
MB  has a great idea, the mountain gun in .44 mag is my pick and on my list . Shoots specials , as good and managible as a .357 although the sweetest wheel gun I ever had was a GP 100 . Its a toss in my book.

Does smith still make a mountian gun?  Whats the barrel length?  Also, what things did you like about the Ruger?
I've got two guns, one for each of ya!

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 08:02:35 PM »
 After putting rubber grips on it and getting rid of those awful wooden ones it fit well in the hand. The most accurate wheel gun I ever fired. Very mild recoil, it was a 6in I could hit anything I could see. no kidding . And as far as I know Smith still sells the "mountain Gun" in .44 mag a short barrell , http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=27843&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

tombogan03884

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 01:38:08 AM »
Does smith still make a mountian gun?  Whats the barrel length?  Also, what things did you like about the Ruger?

Don't know about the Smith, but the Ruger it's size, accurracy, and balance.

mx451

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »
The wheelgun is on hold for now.  With the election comming up I decided to pick up an AR-15 before they become the dreaded death merchant rifle again.  Thank you all for your input.  When I scrounge up enough cash I will get a Blackhawk in .45, a Smith .44 329PD, and a 3" Smith 7 shot stainless.
I've got two guns, one for each of ya!

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 06:51:51 PM »
The best wheel gun I ever owned was a Gp 100 stainless after I changed those awfull grips. 4in .357 could hit milk jugs off hand at 50 yards... sweet sweet revolver. still kicking my self for trading it.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 11:28:34 AM »

sanjuancb

• Top Forum Member
  • The years teach much which the days never knew.
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 07:42:47 PM »
This has gotten Taurus Judge written all over it.

Nothing matches a shotgun for trail carry and if you purchase the 3" chambered Judge you are well equipped for harvesting small game and birds. 11/16 oz of #6's is perfect for squirrel, rabbit, etc. In addition, if you will order Buffalo Bore ammo for the .45 LC, you can slay anything that walks on this earth. They have a loading of a 325 gr. LBT at 1325 FPS. One of my best friends purchased one several weeks ago and I shot it for a while. I love the fiber-optic sights on it and single-action trigger pull is not bad at all. The double-action is a little heavy, but not horrible. The recoil from standard .45 LC and 410 shotshells is not bad either. I can't think of a better trail gun! They were getting $475 for the stainless version at the last gunshow I went to.
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 09:25:24 PM »
I would go with a S&W 19 4" or 6".  They are not too heavy, excellent choice in holsters and comfortable to pack around.  Blue or stainless will do great.  A set of Pachmyr grips would finish it off great.  Very accurate.
DesertMarine

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2008, 09:46:47 PM »
So many choices,.. so little time,...

S&W 686, 3 or 4" .357. or Model 460V, fires 45LC, 454 Casull, or the .460. slightly bigger at 5".

Or the Model 329 .44, although the 2.5" barrel is stout by any standard.

Ruger wheel's are always a winner. SP's, new Redhawk in .45LC,  SA, would go to the Vaquero.

And, as always, there's a 1911,.. Sorry,... wrong thread. ;D
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

SigShooter

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2008, 11:07:43 PM »
I've considered a wheel gun off and on myself, and the only ones I've really considered seriously are the S&W 686 SSR and the S&W Model 60 Pro. The SSR is a 4" variation on the L Frame and the Model 60 Pro is a 3" J frame. Either will work as all around accurate revovlers with self-defense trail duty and target work.
From my cold dead hands...to my next of kin to further our rights.

Never to the government. They can buy their own.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2008, 11:28:06 AM »
The most accurate centerfire caliber is probably the .38 Special. If you get a .357 Magnum the accuracy of .38 ammo in it will still be pretty good. You can keep it loaded with magnums when you aren't target shooting.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk