Author Topic: .44 Auto Mag???  (Read 23745 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
Re: .44 Auto Mag???
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2008, 02:31:58 AM »
The host on the previous video post incorrectly identifies the Auto Mag as a gas action.  It's actually a long recoil action.  Watch it in slo-mo here: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYFGcBmB_wk&feature=related

I've never heard of a long-recoil pistol. The AutoMag was actually a SHORT recoil action since the barrel and bolt unlock after a short distance and the barrel stops. If it was a LONG recoil action the barrel would move back the length of the cartridge like a Browning Auto-5 shotgun.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2008, 02:40:34 AM »
I would also stick with a .357 over a .30 carbine.  I believe a company out of Corpus Christi, Tx is making a winmag copy. http://www.wildeyguns.com/wildey.html  I have thought about saving pennies and golden eagles for one.

The Wildey isn't a copy of anything. Wildey Moore came up with his own design in the early 70's. It's one of the few gas-operated pistols ever made. The .475 Wildey Magnum is awesome. That's what Charles Bronson had in Death Wish III. You can make your own brass out of cut down .284 Winchester brass.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tommy tornado

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2008, 09:25:44 PM »
If I were to buy a Wildey, then I would probably go for the .44 auto mag. cartridge over the .475 Wildey Mag.  They are cool looking guns and on the website they have the clip from Death Wish III.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2008, 10:30:09 PM »
If I got the Wildey I'd probably get the .45 Win Mag since factory ammo is available from several places and it's more powerful than the .44 Auto Mag. They say right on the website, "The WILDEY is made for handloaders!" so the .475 and .45 Wildey magnums are going to be roll your own. The .45 Wildey Magnum is a .475 necked down to .45 and will blow away both the .45 Win Mag, .44 Auto Mag and .44 Magnum. The .475 is the most powerful and if I was going to handload I would go for the big gun just like Charles Bronson. I really don't see much use in getting one in the weakest caliber, the .44 Auto Mag, or in the .45 Wildey Magnum.

Mojave Desert

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2008, 11:26:09 PM »
I've never heard of a long-recoil pistol. The AutoMag was actually a SHORT recoil action since the barrel and bolt unlock after a short distance and the barrel stops. If it was a LONG recoil action the barrel would move back the length of the cartridge like a Browning Auto-5 shotgun.

I never realized that the Auto-5 barrel and bolt recoiled back 3 inches.  Wow, that is LONG recoil!

How far does the Bofors 40mm recoil back?

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 04:29:40 PM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2008, 04:34:15 AM »
In a video I saw of a 40mm and I can't tell how far the barrel recoils. I'm not sure if it's long or short recoil system either. It looks it's only a few inches but would have to be over a foot because of the length of the shellsif it's a long recoil system.

The military came up with a "soft recoil" system for artillery too. The barrel springs forward right before it's fired and stopping that forward movement makes it recoil less. That's kind of weird.

Mojo23

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2008, 04:54:50 PM »
I am the owner of a 44 Automag. I bought it in 1975 new. I have fired it about 1000 times. Finding ammo was always a big problem so I reloaded my own. I also have a set of dies to make the cases. You take a 308 Winchester and cut it down and then thin the case.

It would not be a good self defense weapon because mine would jam about every 10 rounds or so but this may have been a factor of me using military blank M-60 rounds as the source of brass. I never did get around to making more cases out of quality brass.

This is truly cannon. I remember going to ranges and breaking out the Automag. There could be 20 others on the range but when this opened up everyone stopped to see where the noise was coming from. Firing at dusk was a trip because the flame would be about 18-24” coming out the barrel.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2008, 06:01:13 PM »
I wish I could have been there. The last one (only one???) I saw was a used one at Williams Gun Sight several years ago. It was really sweet looking but the price was out of my league. Starline Brass makes brand new .44 Auto Mag brass. They have .475 Wildey Mag now too. No need to cut down rifle brass for either one. http://www.starlinebrass.com/

Mojo23

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2008, 07:10:12 PM »
It was really sweet looking but the price was out of my league. Starline Brass makes brand new .44 Auto Mag brass. They have .475 Wildey Mag now too. No need to cut down rifle brass for either one. http://www.starlinebrass.com/

This was expensive back in 1975. I paid $1,200.00 for then when my paycheck was about $1,000 per month. No wife then. Thanx for the tip on the brass.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2008, 08:53:12 PM »
WOW! :o Limp-wristing could get your nose broken!
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk