Author Topic: Camping Handguns  (Read 23339 times)

Gossamer

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Camping Handguns
« on: July 22, 2008, 08:58:45 PM »
Has anyone discussed camping handguns here? I cannot hike like I used to so instead of hiking all over God's green earth I have decided to camp on it instead. When I do camp I bring my SASS handguns (were legal to bring them). Here in IL sadly we are not know for our love of the handgun. I have talked to many people that have a .22 handgun for pests (racoons and the such). But would you want to fight a dog or wild boar with it?

I bring my Rem. 1875 clone and Colt SAA clone. Both chambered in .45LC. I know that people prefer .38's to use in SASS but a wild dog is going to have a bigger hole in them when you use the old round. Just because you are not going to the store to get a gallon of milk does not mean that you are not going to run into trouble. Besides can you think of a worse place to run into trouble than 30 min from a town?

Ok I will get off the soapbox now. Take care.

Ron J

Re: Camping Handguns
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 09:09:54 PM »
Hey Goss ... welcome to the forum!

One year while deer hunting I had three armed guys come walking into our camp one night.  Up in the middle of no-where in the mountains, all I could hear was the tune of "Duelling Banjos" going through my head.  They were just "lost" but I never hunt/camp or go up in the hills without carrying now. 

When I go hunting. my choice of camp carry is a 4" S&W M629 (no dash).  Gun has been tuned and ported by Larry Kelly's team at Mag-Na-Port.  If I were to go hiking or camping, my choice would be my SIG P220 or a Behlert tuned Browning HP. 

Used to live in St. Charles and I know the love of guns the "land of drink'n" has. 

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 09:14:33 PM »
I carry my Glock 26 (9mm) with an extra 17 rd mag when I go backpacking. It carries well and is fine for critters, varmints, and trouble makers ........ but if I were to venture into grizzly territory, I would want perhaps a .44 mag or larger.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Gossamer

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:23:05 PM »
I used to spend a fair amount of time in the Adirondacks in upstate NY. I could hike then and went all over the place. My kids and I saw black bears all the time and some even came close enough to get me awfulll excited (less than 25 yards). I came to realize two things. Bears do not like loud meat, so sing to them and talk to them and they will leave you be. Also handguns don't make you feel any safer in bear country. But I agree that a .44Mag would be better than my beloved .45LC's. Just my two cents.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 09:26:49 PM »
I bring my Rem. 1875 clone and Colt SAA clone. Both chambered in .45LC.

Uh, last time I checked .45 LC is "all good". I like the Winchester Silvertips IMHO, for the occasional 4 legged, let alone 2 legged "varmint", its a great choice to have when "out there".

I have loved the .45LC for a long,long time; as far as a camping gun,... It's a fine choice..It works, period. Yes, more caliber will always work, but what works for you will always matter most.

Don't worry about the soapbox,., I am thankful I can get on mine, every once and a while, on the best forum to do so.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:16:39 PM »

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 10:12:12 PM »
When I go hiking, hunting or horse back riding mountains or desert, I carry a .357 with 125 gr jacketed hollow points (reloads).  Don't have a .44 mag otherwise that is what I would carry.  In the Land of Enchantment we have no problems packing outdoors.
DesertMarine

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 06:50:12 AM »
I don't go camping as I had 10 years of it thanks to Uncle Sam ( ;D ).  My idea of 'roughing it' is having to leave the room to get ice. ;)

In any case, if I were to go I'd take my Redhawk 45 and some Buffalo Bore ammo.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

k39noodles

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 11:29:34 AM »
I'm way off topic here, but I'm a brand new member, and need a bit of instruction on how to start a new topic for discussion.  By way of introducing myself, I'll copy a comment I just posted on the blog site regarding some "movie guns" that were on display at a recent event. 

I retired in 2000, after nearly 40 years work, as an art director, in the motion picture industry in Hollywood. Back in the day, Stembridge Gun Rentals, located under Paramount Studios was THE source for period weaponry. They used to claim that they could outfit a good sized army, from any period in history, or spot on the globe, and I certainly believed it was no empty boast. The collection was enormous and of extremely high quality. The last I heard they were out in the Valley, and have probably sold off now, if these great guns are beginning to show up in private hands.

I vividly remember doing a close inspecting of a Gattling gun on a set one day, and doing a big, verbal reaction to a discovery I made. Duke Wayne was passing by and laughed at my outburst and asked me what caused it. I had noticed the initials, R.A.C. stamped into the weapon, and I had the stamp of the same inspector on my own SAA Colt, that I’d purchased in a pawn shop (for $70) in 1951. The prop master had Duke’s Peacemaker locked up (the usual practice between shots), but Duke brought it over to me following the next take to point out a few things he loved about the pistol.

By the way, having worked on two movies with Duke, and also filmed on his beloved boat many other times, I never heard anyone call him THE Duke. It was a nickname - not a title.

I quit making movies when it quit being fun. The bean-counters moved in and removed the heart from the business. I did have a lot of good years and a lot of good stories from a bunch of fun, mostly very nice people.

I never met anyone in the business who didn't like to work on a good western.

Later,

Bill (k39noodles)

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 05:55:19 PM »
Welcome Bill, sounds like you have some good stories about the movie industry.What do you like and or carry in sidearms.? Hope you find the site informative.  ;D
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Don't make me call the flying monkeys! DRTV Ranger
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 07:16:44 PM »
Bill.. to start a new topic for discussion you just go click on " new topic" button  and you are good to go.

Looks like you could start many new topics and keep us all entertained with some good stories.

Welcome.. :)
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History ! "

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk